Android OS Forum banner

Spectrum 2 Forum?

179K views 116 replies 30 participants last post by  agt7575 
#1 ·
Hey, mods, you can move this if necessary, but is there a plan in the works for the Spectrum 2 to have a forum?

I was also searching for some root methods. I saw another thread that a guy got root but bricked on the ROM installation. If I can get root, I'll be a happy camper. TiBu and things of that nature are my only necessities to debloat.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
LG SPECTRUM 2 VS930 ESSENTIAL TIPS & TRICKS
SPECTRUM II
lg-spectrum-ii-vs930.jpg
VS930
Spectrum 2 is equipped with a 4.7 inch True HD IPS screen, which means instead of the oft-criticized PenTile display,​
the display uses a regular RGB matrix. The rest of the specs look quite enticing as well, including 8-megapixel camera,​
the dual-core 1.5GHz Qualcomm MSM8960 S4 processor under the hood, NFC support and Android 4.1.2 installed.​
There is 16GB of native storage and Global radio​

ANDROID SECURITY

APPLICATIONS

BATTERY OPTIMIZATION

BLOATWARE REMOVAL

CHANGE LOGS

HOW TO BACKUP

PERSONALIZATION (NEW)

RESTORE YOUR DEVICE

TROUBLESHOOT

ULTIMATE GUIDE TO ROOTING

USER GUIDES

PHONE & ACCESSORY DEAL'S

1. PHONES

2. CASES

3. SCREEN PROTECTORS

4. BATTERY'S & CHARGERS

5. SD MEMORY CARDS & ADAPTERS

6. BLUETOOTH HEADSET

c0416.gif
Please ✓ "Like" If This Information was Helpful - Thanks!​

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
"RESTRICT BACKGROUND DATA"
Font Screenshot Electronic device Terrestrial plant Multimedia

SOME ONE SAID THERE IS A "BACKGROUND DATA RESTRICTED" NOTIFICATION AFTER THE ANDROID 4.0 ICS FIRMWARE UPDATE

"Restrict background data" is a good feature to stop some apps & services from working unless device is connected to a WI-FI network. Some apps sync in the background, and may cause extra data traffic when using a mobile carrier network. You can enable or disable "Restrict background data" by:

• From home screen->Press Menu button-> Settings -> Data usage -> Tap Menu > Restrict background data.
  • You might have a box open up that says, "Restricting background data is possible only when you've set a mobile data limit". Click OK,
  • Check the box "Set mobile data limit", and OK,
  • Then set data limit. "You must set this before it will restrict".
  • Now > Tap Menu > Restrict background data. You Done!

You can also "touch to remove restriction" from the drop down notification panel. This works on LG Spectrum 2 devices.

Please ✓ "Like" If This Information was Helpful - Thanks!​

Attachments

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
xXxGeek, thanks for the guidance today. I was able to root the unit quick and easy, but then I went on a tear removing apps I did not want and caused a nice soft brick. With xXxGeeks help I was able restore the phone. I will pass along my findings as I am sure I am going to brick this thing several times as I learn what I can remove and -what will cause the unit to brick when removed. While it is a headache it is half the fun. If anyone bricks theirs along the way just follow the direction above. Good luck. :)

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
HOW TO DO A "SOFT RESET" OR "HARD RESET" FOR THE LG SPECTRUM II

If your phone becomes unresponsive or sluggish, try restarting your phone and see if that helps. In case your phone has a persistent problem that cannot be solved, the last resort is to do a factory reset.

Restarting your phone (soft reset)

If your phone is running slower than normal, an application is not performing properly, or your phone becomes unresponsive, try restarting your phone and see if that helps solve the problem.
To restart your phone, simply turn it off and back on. If pressing and holding the POWER button doesn't work, then remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, reinsert the battery, and then turn the phone on.

Performing a factory reset (hard reset)

If you're passing your phone on to someone else or your phone has a persistent problem that cannot be solved, you can do a factory reset (also called a hard reset). This returns your phone to the state it was in before the first time you turned it on.

Note: Factory reset will not remove the data and files that are in your phone's microSD card.
Factory reset is not a step to be taken lightly. It will permanently delete all your data and customized settings, and will also remove any applications you've downloaded and installed. Be sure to back up any data and files you want to keep before you do a factory reset.

HOW TO HARD RESET THE LG SPECTRUM II

• Remove and reinsert the battery.
  • Press and hold both the "Volume Down" and "Power" button until you see a message "Factory Hard Reset" then let go of buttons.
  • It will ask you if you want to do a factory reset. Confirm with Power Button.
  • When asked are you sure, confirm with power button
  • Your Done. Factory Restored!
Please Click ✓ "Like" If This Information was Helpful - Thanks!​

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Install apps on your LG Spectrum II phone via USB without going threw the Android Market

If for some reason, you don't want to download from the market, or maybe you deleted any easy way of installing apps on your android, i.e. no wifi or data connection, no keyboard to navigate, no file manager to open, for what ever the reason, this program will install ".apk" files from your pc onto your android phone.
Android-Injector-thumb.png?1353398055

Android Injector is an easy to use alternative that enables you to select multiple files from your computer and to intall them in the phone memory with just a few clicks. The program is free, and you can "click here for Android Injector.rar" I need to add that this app will ask you to download additional software that you don't need, just make sure to uncheck any boxes that don't apply.

Android Injector allows you to effortlessly install apps that you have downloaded to your computer in the form of ".apk" files onto your Android phone or device. Some phones and service providers do not allow you to install apps from any other source except the Google Play Store. However, some app authors do not release their apps to the Android Market and elect to put them on other sites such as Getjar.com. Android Injector allows you to download apps from those other sources to your computer and then install them onto your phone from your computer quickly and easily via USB connection.

This is a few website links that ".apk" files can be downloaded directly to your pc and then installed to your android with Android Injector.
NON-MARKET APPS
AppsZoom
Android Freeware
CELL11
AppBrain
AppsApk
F-Droid
android-injector.jpg
use the program to install apps to your Android phone, follow these steps:

1. Ensure that you have the correct USB drivers installed for your Spectrum 2 device.

2. Enable USB debugging in your Spectrum 2 phone's settings. This can be done by going into "Settings", then "Developer Options", then Click "OK", then check the "USB debugging".

3. Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable. You can check to see if everything is in order and that the program can communicate with your phone at this time by clicking the "Settings" (gear) button in programs, then clinking "Connectivity", then "USB connection type", then Click on "Internet Connection" if this doesn't work, try "Media sync (MTP)". "Check for attached device" from the menu that drops down.

4. Click the Select Files (folder) button to select which apps you want to install. Android app files are files with an ".apk" extension. You can select as many apps at once as you wish. Files can also dragged from Windows Explorer and dropped onto the program interface to select them. You can also select files in Windows Explorer, right-click them, then click "Install with Android Injector". It doesn't matter if the program is running or not. If it isn't, it will be opened with those files selected to be installed. This feature can be toggled on and off in the Options menu which is shown by clicking the gear button on the program interface.

5. Click the "Install to device" button and wait for the program to install the apps. Installation status will be shown in the program window. When it's finished, the program will display a report informing you whether or not the apps were installed successfully.

Android-Injector.png?1353398055
Credit Goes to "Harmony Hollow Software"

OTHER WAYS TO INSTALL APPS: USB Cable, Dropbox, Barcode Scanner & Online Apk Installer
  • Ensure that you have the correct USB drivers installed for your Spectrum 2 device.
  • Enable USB debugging in your phone's settings, go to->Settings->Developer Options->OK->USB debugging
  • Install File Manager and Root Add-On, for browsing the data on your phones SD card.
  • Next download any non-market app file to your PC. See market links bellow.
  • Now connect your phone to your PC using your USB cable. Open the SD card and copy or drag over the .apk file.
  • Unplug your USB cable from your phone, navigate to the .apk file using File Manager and select it.
  • This will open a dialog box allowing you to intall the app.
  • Install any .apk Application With Dropbox
  • Download any non-market app file to your Dropbox on PC folder. Let it finish syncing.
  • Now in your phone, open the "Dropbox.apk" app, navigate to the folder where you keep the apk file, click on it.
  • Dropbox will then download the apk file. The usual installation follows.
  • Download Barcode Scanner, I personally prefer "QR Droid" app, but there's several others out there.
  • Now use your barcode scanner to download apps on your phone. See directions bellow.
  • The APK Installer makes manual installation of an .apk file much easier. Next download any non-market app.
  • Now go to www.apkinstall.com, selelect->"Browse Files" then navigate to your apk file on your PC and select.
  • Once you have uploaded the file, a QR code will appear on the website. Scan the QR code using Barcode Scanner.
  • After the .apk file has downloaded to your device, you can install it by simply clicking on it and navigating through the installation pages.
  • DESKTOP MANAGER PORTABLE
  1. Wifi / Bluetooth / USB Cable
NON-MARKET APP LINKS
AppsZoom

#12 ·
Thanks for the Kii Keyboard app suggestion.....I have used SmartKeyboard Pro for a long time and could not get it to work. I even tried freezing the stock keyboard with no luck. But best of all Kii will use my premium themes i have paid for!!

Has anyone figured out if there is a way of modifying the status bar...mainly remove the time display from it or change its color. Im guessing no though unless its a custom rom. just curious.

#13 ·
Has anybody got FoxFi to work on the spec 2? Does anyone know if the WiFi Tether with Root app will work if the Spec 2 is rooted???

I just upgraded from my Droid X to the Spectrum 2 after doing some research and I absolutely love this phone. The only think I miss is the wireless hotspot I had with my Droid X because the FoxFi app worked perfectly whereas now it doesn't on my Spec 2.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the Kii Keyboard app suggestion.....I have used SmartKeyboard Pro for a long time and could not get it to work. I even tried freezing the stock keyboard with no luck. But best of all Kii will use my premium themes i have paid for!! ;)
Has anyone figured out if there is a way of modifying the status bar...mainly remove the time display from it or change its color. Im guessing no though unless its a custom rom. just curious. :p
GOOD REPLACEMENT KEYBOARD

HOW TO FREEZE (my preference) THE STOCK KEYBOARD

• First install "Kii Keyboard"
  • Download "System Cleanup " and Open.
  • Click on ->"App" Tab on Top, Scroll Down to Stock App "LG Keyboard"
  • Press and Hold on App, a Box Will Open,
  • Select "Backup... Then "Full Backup",
  • Now You Can Do The Same Process to Freeze Apps or Remove Them. Next Reboot Your Phone.
Please Click "[✓Like This]" If This Information was Helpful - Thanks!​
LINK-->"BLOATWARE TIPS"​

#17 ·
After installing "Kii Keyboard" Download "System Cleanup[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)] [/background][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]" and open, click on "->App" tab on top, scroll down to stock app "LG Keyboard 2.1.11.2-VZW-relaease" tap and select box, then press and hold on app, a box will open, and select "Freeze App or Uninstall App" then reboot. Now if you do a "FACTORY HARD RESET" you wont lose keyboard fictions with Kii Keyboard as a system app. [/background]

[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]I haven't found any apps that will modify the status bar and run smooth at this time. The Dev's are working on a custom ROM for the Spectrum 2. I will keep us posted to any new updates. [/background][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)] [/background]
Do we have a solid recovery as of yet, is there work on the boot-loader being unlocked? I have not picked up on this myself. What do we know about the customer Rom, here on this forum or are we seeing a listing someplace else?

#22 ·
This tether app works great. I am using it now to tether to my work laptop. https://play.google....S50ZXRoZXIiXQ... There is a working recovery also. It is from the LTE2, the Korean version of the Spec 2. Here is a link for that, http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?z4iga2p3yoyxlkc.

@xXxGeek - What devs are looking at this phone? I'm curious because I just started to talk a dev at another forum to possibly look at the LTE2 ROM to see what needs to be change to work properly on the Spec 2. I do thank you for all of the info you have put up in these forums for this phone. I haven't seen it here, but if you need to do a hard reset for the phone because of bootloop or anything, pull the battery out, put it back it, hold VOL down and Power until the phone boots. It will ask you if you want to do a factory reset. This will wipe your internal sd card.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
This tether app works great. I am using it now to tether to my work laptop. https://play.google....S50ZXRoZXIiXQ... There is a working recovery also. It is from the LTE2, the Korean version of the Spec 2. Here is a link for that, http://www.mediafire...z4iga2p3yoyxlkc.

@xXxGeek - What devs are looking at this phone? I'm curious because I just started to talk a dev at another forum to possibly look at the LTE2 ROM to see what needs to be change to work properly on the Spec 2. I do thank you for all of the info you have put up in these forums for this phone. I haven't seen it here, but if you need to do a hard reset for the phone because of bootloop or anything, pull the battery out, put it back it, hold VOL down and Power until the phone boots. It will ask you if you want to do a factory reset. This will wipe your internal sd card.
Hi Asian Flavor, Thanks for your input to the tether program and the hard reset info. Was there any extra steps that you had to do, in order for the Wifi Tether for Root to work?

I have talked with Neph about all the work being done at the Droid Forum, and several post from there about devs looking into this. Wish I had more response at this time, hopefully Neph will get back about what he has soon.

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks xXxGeek! Do you know if the WiFi Teather With Root app will work on a rooted Spec 2?
I was notified by Asian Flavor that "WiFi Tether for Root Users" was working...I downloaded it today, and it Works great!

WIFI TETHER FOR ROOT USERS [INSTALLATION GUIDE]

Download> wifi_tether_v3_2-beta2apk.

After installing, we need to make sure that your "Mobile Data" is turned on

• Go into your phones->"Setting", tap on->"Data usage",
  • Now tap the->Mobile data "on/off" button at the top right corner, should be on now.
  • Next start "WiFi Tether for Root Users" program,
  • Then tap your menu button (bottom right),
  • Then tap on->"Settings",
  • Next tap on->"Change Device-Profile",
  • And check the box for->"Generic ICS/JB".

Now tab back one page, there you can setup a secure connection

• Tap on-->"Enable WiFi-Encryption" to enable,
  • Now to set your password,
  • Tap on->"Change Passphrase"
  • Then type in your password, Done.

The next step will give your wifi a custom name

• Tap on->"Change SSID"
  • Type the name that every one can see in your network, Done.

Now go back to the home page

• Tap on your menu button again, and under Setting,
  • Tap on-->"Access Control",
  • Now (at the top right corner) tap on-->"Enable"

This allows you to choose who can access your wifi

• Now tab back to home screen,
  • Tap on-->"Press to start tethering"
Now you should have WiFi Tethering. If you see that I have input any information incorrectly, please let me know. Thanks!

#26 ·
@xXxGeek - First off, love your name...yes, that is the app I am using. Sorry for the late reply. I am working with a dev right now uploading the System partition and boot.img for this phone. If it is enough for him, he maybe able to build a basic CM10. The LTE2 based CM10 will flash but messes up the Digitizer driver, even reverting back to stock. If you want to follow, it's Miller at droidforums.

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for trying out the WiFi teather app xXxGeek!! Can't wait to root my phone and make use of it again.

Quick question - once my phone is rooted, will I still be able to get OTA updates in the event LG/Verizon releases a Jelly Bean update for the phone?
Thanks mattd860, let me know how every thing runs ;) .

AFTER ROOT & OTA UPDATES

DOWNLOAD [OTA RootKeeper]
To save superuser access "Before you do any Updates".

• Any time you run a system update, you run the risk of loosing root. But you can save your superuser access with OTA Rootkeeper. One's we get a custom Rom up and running for this device, I recommend using it (no custom ROM's for the Spectrum 2 as of yet). With a custom Rom, you will get more updates and development then you would with the stock OTA update.
  • Most of the time rooting your phone simply adds a couple files without changing any others, and an OTA will flash over just fine. OTA updates first check to see that the partitions are holding the boot image and the recovery image are unmodified, if you haven't frozen, replaced or removed a file inside the system that its looking for, then you should be able to accept the update.

BACKUP FIRST:

HOW TO UPDATE:

• From your phone tap >Menu>Settings>About phone>Software update>Check for updates

HOW TO USE LG UPDATE TOOL:

• Download and install the LG Update Tool
  • Launch the Update Tools application
  • Install USB Drivers
  • Make sure that the "PC Software" mode" enabled (Settings/Memory Management/USB storage)
  • Charge your phone battery to full
  • Plug in your phone via usb cable
  • Press "Launch software update", the update process might take as much as 30 minutes.
  • Reboot and enjoy.
Run OTA Rootkeeper app and restore Root after update​
DOWNLOAD [ROOT CHECKER]
To make sure you still have root access after doing a update.​

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the Kii Keyboard app suggestion.....I have used SmartKeyboard Pro for a long time and could not get it to work. I even tried freezing the stock keyboard with no luck. But best of all Kii will use my premium themes i have paid for!! ;)
Has anyone figured out if there is a way of modifying the status bar...mainly remove the time display from it or change its color. Im guessing no though unless its a custom rom. just curious. :p
@layvin1, I found this app to Customize your Spectrum 2 status bar. With this app, you can change the position of icons, change your appearance and backgrounds, download new themes, change the text fonts and colors, customize to your liking. If you have root, then you have the option for Root mode. You can download it from this link-->"Super Status Bar" or "QR code"

After installation, go to->Settings, scroll down to->Accessibility, and tap on->Super Status Bar, a new page will open, at the top left, tap on the->on/off button, and tap->OK. Now go to your Apps, and start Super Status Bar. On the top left is a on/off button, tap on to start, now tap on->General, then tap the button for->Start on Boot. Now navigate around and test all your option out. I have been running this on my Spectrum 2 for several days without any glitches.

UPDATE:

Here is a xposed module that I have ran on my spectrum 2 for several weeks with no problems, it's called XBattery Themer. It's an engine theme just like theme chooser applying battery sets on fly without any reboot. The module has an in-built battery sample which is colorable means you can choose any color for it and apply instantly. As it's called "Themer" you can create themes separately and not as a xposed module but as a normal app so that no need to enable it on xposed framework but on the themer itself with a preview of battery sets. Themes for this engine are categorized to "colorable" which can easily set any color for (HSV, RGB or HEX code) and "non-colorable" which has stock look and cannot change its color.

How To Install:

Download XposedInstaller.apk from "Here" and install it
Launch the Xposed Installer, click on "Install/Update and give root permission"
Reboot
Then install XBattery Themer, enable it on Xposed framework and reboot.
If you like to install any theme install it as a normal app and it would be appeared instantly on the themer without any reboot.

Credits: @rovo89

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
@layvin1, I found this app to Customize your Spectrum 2 status bar. With this app, you can change the position of icons, change your appearance and backgrounds, download new themes, change the text fonts and colors, customize to your liking. If you have root, then you have the option for Root mode. You can download it from this link-->"Super Status Bar" or "QR code"

After installation, go to->Settings, scroll down to->Accessibility, and tap on->Super Status Bar, a new page will open, at the top left, tap on the->on/off button, and tap->OK. Now go to your Apps, and start Super Status Bar. On the top left is a on/off button, tap on to start, now tap on->General, then tap the button for->Start on Boot. Now navigate around and test all your option out. I have been running this on my Spectrum 2 for several days without any glitches.
@xXxgeek....thank you very much man......I hadn't been on rootz in a bit and just now seen this. Awesome! Now only if we could change the color of the touch buttons...

Update : unfortunately this app caused my phone to reboot every time I tied to make any kind of change. Couldn't even turn it off without it rebooting my phone. I had to force stop and uninstall with TiBu.

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
HOW TO ROOT YOUR LG SPECTRUM 2 VS930 FOR (ICS)

WARNING: I do not take any responsibility for what you do to your device
. If you decide to do this, you do so at your own risk.

REQUIREMENTS:
  • Enable USB debugging in your phone's settings, >Settings >Developer Options >OK >USB debugging.
  • USB Connectivity set to internet connection, >Settings >Programs >Connectivity >USB Connection Type >Internet Connection, doesn't work, try >Media Sync
  • Download the LG Spectrum 2 USB drivers from "Here"
  • Always do a backup of everything before rooting, Click on this link >Backup & Restore
STEPS TO ROOTING YOUR LG SPECTRUM 2:
  1. Download and unzip this file: http://d-h.st/G5R
  2. Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable
  3. Ensure that you have the correct USB drivers installed for your Spectrum 2 device.
  4. Make sure to have debugging enabled
  5. Make sure to have USB connectivity set to internet connection
  6. Run the script for your OS (.bat for Windows, .sh for Linux)
  7. Enjoy
IF YOU HAVE THE NEW JELLY BEAN 4.1.2 UPDATE CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW

Please Click "[Like This]" If This Information was Helpful - Thanks!​
Credit goes to PlayfulGod & djrbliss​

#37 ·
So, all we can do is just root and no custom roms. I came from my gnex to this. I was running HTC rezound due to better cell reception then starting encountering issues with the usb charger and they sent me this for free. This phone is pretty good so far. I can say it is up to par with the gnex or even better. I wish this phone would get more attention.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.