- - - - -

Nexus 7: The Ultimate Car Stereo

• Please log in to reply

OP jmcguire525

jmcguire525

Android Lover

• 102 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:24 PM #1

I know a few people here are considering using the N7 as a head unit. There's a professional install in a Ram on youtube that was done well but IMO far from perfect...

The ideal way to do this is have the audio output digitally through USB and use an external DAC, you are also going to want to be able to charge at the same time... These can both be achieved with a simple flash of an .img file by Timur. The only thing remaining is to choose an amp to drive your speakers and add a volume control or sound processor. I'm personally using a Turtle Beach Micro II DAC with optical output and pairing it with a Audison BitOne and 5k amp that accepts optical to keep the whole stream digital (yes its overboard but makes things simple)

What you need:
-Nexus 7 with https://github.com/m...-2012-10-22.img flashed
-USB OTG Y cable with Micro Power http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=110965743382
-Your choice of USB DAC
-Amplifier

I have my N7 setup with a 15 screen cutoff and I turned on screen awake while charging in dev options, this forces the tablet screen to turn on and off in sync with the cars ignition (and will hopefully be enough charge while driving to keep it running throughout the week)

I will be tethering my phone to the tablet for internet, TuneIn radio gets all the stations I listen to and allows me to rewind, pause, and record, Google music for everything else, and Torque Pro for some cool widgets to see what kind times my Trailblazer SS can put down.

I'll add pictures and video once the install starts and try to help anyone else that decides to do something similar
  • 6 Likes

CaucasianAsian

CaucasianAsian

Super User

• 258 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:03 AM #2

Subbed! I might get another N7 for Christmas and I would really love to install my extra in my car.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

SkyBehind

SkyBehind

Average Android

• 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:04 AM #3

I've been doing the same thing, though streaming through bluetooth. But in addition to internet streaming, I wanted to be able to play off a hard drive. So I got that working, only problem is that when I kill the power to the HDD, you have to reboot before you can remount. Also, it's read only.

Faux123 kernel has write NTFS and can remount without reboot, but his OTG + Charge flag resets on reboot. I've heard that he added Timur's Patch #2 in his latest beta, so we'll see.
  • 0 Likes

OP jmcguire525

jmcguire525

Android Lover

• 102 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:55 PM #4

Puffmais just brought something to my attention. I mentioned having the screen turning off with the ignition and that it happens when the tablet no longer has AC power, this will be a problem because once the power source is cut off the tablet will need to reboot to work with the DAC again. This may be fixed in Faux123 kernel mentioned above, if not we may need some help from a kernel dev getting the DAC to remount after charging is restored.
  • 0 Likes

OP jmcguire525

jmcguire525

Android Lover

• 102 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:02 PM #5

Adding to the post above, Faux123 kernel didn't help with the problem, every now and then it will reconnect with the DAC but I haven't been able to figure out any pattern on why it does one time but not the other 10. Hopefully this can be fixed
  • 0 Likes

sledge3n8

sledge3n8

• 24 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:53 AM #6

Puffmais just brought something to my attention. I mentioned having the screen turning off with the ignition and that it happens when the tablet no longer has AC power, this will be a problem because once the power source is cut off the tablet will need to reboot to work with the DAC again. This may be fixed in Faux123 kernel mentioned above, if not we may need some help from a kernel dev getting the DAC to remount after charging is restored.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Why don't you just tie the power to the N7 into the HOT side of the ignition circuit? There is always power there. The only downside is your Nexus will always be "on". This would still require weeks to drain the battery if the car was off and the N7 was left turned on.

There is also a hot wire in the harness for your stereo. This is the connection that keeps your clock running so you don't need to reset the time whenever you turn your car back on.
  • 0 Likes

puffmais

puffmais

• 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:15 AM #7

do you think it would last weeks to drain the battery??

and than the display is always on, thats not so cool...or you must hit a button to turn it on/off, and hit another button to start play music. every time! also stop the music and turn display off when you leave the car...
  • 0 Likes

OP jmcguire525

jmcguire525

Android Lover

• 102 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:38 PM #8

the problem then is there is no way to make the screen turn on and off without keeping a magnet around which would get very annoying. I want my install to be somewhat permanent where you only see the screen and do not have access to the power and volume buttons.
  • 0 Likes

Turdbogls

Turdbogls

Android Lover

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:23 AM #9

the problem then is there is no way to make the screen turn on and off without keeping a magnet around which would get very annoying. I want my install to be somewhat permanent where you only see the screen and do not have access to the power and volume buttons.

maybe use tasker. set up profiles for when you are using certain apps. like music and tunein ect you could have screen off set to like 20 minutes. but when no apps open, set it to 15 seconds.

and maybe use some gesture proximity sensor thing to turn the screen on. i am pretty sure there is an app that does that.
  • 0 Likes

OP jmcguire525

jmcguire525

Android Lover

• 102 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:57 AM #10

maybe use tasker. set up profiles for when you are using certain apps. like music and tunein ect you could have screen off set to like 20 minutes. but when no apps open, set it to 15 seconds.

and maybe use some gesture proximity sensor thing to turn the screen on. i am pretty sure there is an app that does that.

That could work, but it still requires closing out of apps before I get out of the car to make sure the screen turns off, hopefully I can find out what is causing the inconsistentcy when it comes to reconnecting with the DAC and sending the audio thru USB
  • 0 Likes