- - - - -

Which phone should I purchase? Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S III

• Please log in to reply

OP vbanagas

vbanagas

Average Android

• 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:51 AM #1

I currently own the Samsung Fascinate and I'm looking to upgrade to a new phone on Verizon. I am considering the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S III. I was waiting out for the Nexus 4 but apparently that's not gonna happen anymore. I plan to root and install a custom ROM and Kernel. I love the Nexus design and software keys but I don't want to get it if it will feel outdated because I will be stuck with it for two years. What are the thoughts from those who own these devices?
  • 0 Likes

sk8

sk8

Average Android

• 293 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:00 PM #2

You've got the fascinate now which has had great support from the community, if you want to continue with that kind of community the galaxy nexus is the right choice.
If you're looking for the newer tech and quad core the SGS III, would be the way to go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

blaineevans

blaineevans

su

• 2,292 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:04 PM #3

If you can't stand TW and love AOSP, then the GN.. if you don't mind TW, but still enjoy AOSP. Then the GS3. Obviously hardware specs go to the S3, beyond that it's personal prefence. You also have the option for the Note 2.. Which is obviously awesome.

You've got the fascinate now which has had great support from the community, if you want to continue with that kind of community the galaxy nexus is the right choice.
If you're looking for the newer tech and quad core the SGS III, would be the way to go.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Assuming he's on Verzion, he will still be getting a dual core.
  • 0 Likes

Hellboy

Hellboy

Android Guru

• 2,027 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:43 PM #4

Test the two phones side by side. That's the best way. I am sure the s3 has aosp by now. I was looking at the gnex until I played with the s3. To me no comparison I would take the s3 any day. But my personal choice.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

Spotmark

Spotmark

Flashaholic

• 736 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:49 AM #5

I originally bought the Galaxy Nexus, because it was a Nexus, and I knew it would have the dev support. I planned on keeping it through my two year contract. Silly me. Like most of us here, I'm a phone junkie, and I always like to have the new stuff. I initially held off on the S3, but after seeing that the bootloader could be unlocked, and that the dev support was there, I made the switch. It has AOSP, and I'm sure we will be getting 4.2, shortly after the Nexus sees it. Performance, and style wise, it's noticeably better then the Nexus. It's faster, smoother, and the slim design is super sexy. I don't care for the home button, but it's a trade-off I'm willing to live with.

Edited by Spotmark, 07 November 2012 - 11:46 AM.

• 0 Likes
A cigar is man's opportunity to reflect on the past, and dream about the future.
Spotmark

jvu316

jvu316

• 10 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:28 PM #6

I like the S3, it runs really smooth and fast. So it's all about preference.
  • 0 Likes

b16

b16

Developer Relations

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:27 PM #7

The S3 is a really solid phone, I had it on TMo, and battery was excellent. I can't comment on VZW though, because like everything else LTE kills it.
  • 0 Likes

Remember - Remain respectful to others as you would wish to be treated.
Please read the RULES before posting.

Want to sign up to be a developer? Check the requirements.