Prepare Your Android

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:42 PM #1

Mod Type:: Mod

Difficulty:: Very Easy

Mod Status:: Alpha

Apply In:: Other (See Description)

Requires Root:: Yes

Source::
Just received a Raspberry Pi model B board as a gift and was looking to put some form of Android on it (preferably 4.0 as alluded to in the thread title). I have found a source here (specifically the CyanogenMod 9 build image at the bottom):

http://androidpi.wik...Android_Pi_Wiki

I was wondering if anyone else on here has tried this out, and if so, if they had any issues with it.

I also was interested to see if anyone knew of any decent projects for a relative beginner to try out, given what I am trying to work with.

Thanks in advance.
  • 0 Likes
"Let's get down to brass tacks, here. How much for the ape?"

yarly

yarly

Just a noob that doesn't know what he's talking about

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:30 PM #2

You're probably better off asking on a raspberry π forum.

Also, I recommend getting one of these.

*no I don't own a raspberry π before you ask
  • 0 Likes

OP SpinningHook

SpinningHook

Prepare Your Android

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:21 PM #3

Understood, and thanks for the link.
  • 0 Likes

yarly

yarly

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:29 PM #4

No problem. Just you probably won't get many replies here, not to detour you or anything. Eventually I'll probably get a π, but haven't yet. I kind of think the advantage is to not run Android on it, since it has much higher system requirements than running a desktop version of Linux.
  • 0 Likes

OP SpinningHook

SpinningHook

Prepare Your Android

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:16 PM #5

Yeah, I've decided to go with Raspbian, for the time being. From what I have read, it's the easiest Linux flavor for a Raspberry Pi beginner to get use to and that's exactly where I am at, experience-wise. I did try ICS on it, briefly, but the System UI constantly force closed and forced me to unplug to power down (which I have read isn't a particularly good thing to do), so I took it off. Oh well.
  • 0 Likes

yarly

yarly

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:39 PM #6

I think the original πs came with Debian on them, which is what Ubuntu is a fork of. Never heard of Raspbian. What's it based on?
  • 0 Likes

OP SpinningHook

SpinningHook

Prepare Your Android

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:17 AM #7

Debian 7.0 (Wheezy).

From Wikipedia: "Technically, it is built with compilation settings adjusted to produce optimized "hard float" code for the Raspberry Pi. This should significantly enhance performance for applications that make heavy use of floating point arithmetic operations, as previous Raspberry Pi operating systems used less efficient "soft float" settings. However, this has required significant effort to port elements of Debian Wheezy to ARMv6 CPU, as official builds require ARMv7."
  • 0 Likes

yarly

yarly

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:19 PM #8

Oh duh, right, the *ian suffix on it for being debian based, lol.

I didn't realize the π was an armv6 device, but that explains why ICS is so buggy for it. armv6 never had official support on Android 4.x
  • 0 Likes

OP SpinningHook

SpinningHook

Prepare Your Android

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:05 AM #9

Purchased a 512 Model B yesterday. I am thinking about trying out either RaspBMC or OpenELEC on it so that I can turn it into a media center and use my 256 for projects with the breadboard that I have.
  • 0 Likes