1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Verizon and the Nexus 4

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Verizon and the Nexus 4 (123 member(s) have cast votes)

How much do you want the Nexus 4?

1. Not enough to switch from Verizon (71 votes [57.72%])

Percentage of vote: 57.72%

2. Im switching carriers for it (52 votes [42.28%])

Percentage of vote: 42.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Infinite7154

Infinite7154

Average Android

• 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:31 PM #151

I missed out on Verizon's unlimited data plans. By the time I got there it was all about "Share Everything". I ate the $350 etf because I wanted out of the contract and I wasn't happy my Verizon GNex wasn't getting the updates from Google in a timely fashion. Once I heard about the Nexus 4, I did some research and found out about T-Mobile and Straight Talk pre-paid. Asked my sister, who was on T-Mobile, about the service. Gave my girlfriend my GNex (she has unlimited data), sold my S3 for $400 and bought my Nexus 4. Got the $70 pre-paid plan. Now looking to get the $30 plan from T-Mobile. 5gb's is plenty and i'll use GrooVe IP for my phone calls. I'm saving over $1,200 over a 2 year period by switching from Verizon to pre-paid. Pure Profit
  • 0 Likes
Nexus 4-Rooted Stock Rom

mAlfunkti0n

mAlfunkti0n

Android Beginner

• 32 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:53 PM #152

My Nexus 4 arrives today, March 29th is the last day for my contract on Verizon. I am paying the ETF for my wife's line and moving to Straight Talk (AT&T) $45 plan. We will save a small fortune doing so, and have better devices. I am over Verizon's anti-consumer stance on everything. Finally doing as they say .. "vote with your wallet".

Good riddance Verizon.
  • 1 Likes

psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac

Omg Lazerz!!!!!1

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:27 PM #153

My Nexus 4 arrives today, March 29th is the last day for my contract on Verizon. I am paying the ETF for my wife's line and moving to Straight Talk (AT&T) $45 plan. We will save a small fortune doing so, and have better devices. I am over Verizon's anti-consumer stance on everything. Finally doing as they say .. "vote with your wallet".

Good riddance Verizon.

Have fun with your 2gb of data.
  • 0 Likes
| Carrier: Vzw | Phone: Galaxy Nexus |
| Rom: CM10.1 | Kernel: LeanKernel |
| Social Networks: Twitter, Google+ |

nibrwr

nibrwr

Android Lover

• 107 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:29 PM #154

You can get more than 2GB from ST, but don't stream any video or tether. I was throttled around 800MB from watching YouTube and Netflix.
  • 0 Likes

WorldPeaceAndStuff

WorldPeaceAndStuff

Android Lover

• 118 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:12 PM #155

Not only does Verizon cap your data now they ask you to share that limit with all your devices thus multiplying the chance of an overage. I have unlimited, pay 85 a month, and have no qualms craiglisting my next Verizon phone but I can still see the evil in what they're doing.
  • 0 Likes

psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac

Omg Lazerz!!!!!1

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:12 PM #156

In all honestly Its worth it to buy a 600 dollar phone. I think this because My sister just got a 600 dollar phone bill, so when i get a new phone I'm pretty much paying for one bill that used 19gb of data and i have unlimited. Just will take awhile to upgrade. I wonder if there are a lot of other people who are trying to keep there unlimited.
  • 0 Likes
| Carrier: Vzw | Phone: Galaxy Nexus |
| Rom: CM10.1 | Kernel: LeanKernel |
| Social Networks: Twitter, Google+ |

kirdroid

kirdroid

Android Beginner

• 18 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:36 PM #157

I hope Verizon or sprint never get another nexus device. Useless closed CDMA networks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

mAlfunkti0n

mAlfunkti0n

Android Beginner

• 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:36 AM #158

The sad thing is, you think Verizon is going to allow you to keep that unlimited plan. The only person you're fooling is yourself. Verizon will soon be pulling unlimited plans from all who have them. Once your contract is up you are in an at will relationship with Verizon.

I would much rather pay ST $45 per month with a soft cap of 2GB (it's soft because enforcement is spotty at times) than pay Verizon for crummy coverage in my area, limited talk time and limited texting as well as that same 2GB cap.

Quite honestly I am at a loss for how you use 19GB of data on a mobile device. Even when I was abusing it (downloading ISOs from MSDN for no reason) I still couldn't get more than 12GB. My regular usage on cellular data is easily within 2GB a month.

You can get more than 2GB from ST, but don't stream any video or tether. I was throttled around 800MB from watching YouTube and Netflix.

I am an IT guy, so my entire 9 hour (or more .. sadly) work day is either at home or the office where I have a wifi connection all day long, that doesn't really bother me.

Edited by mAlfunkti0n, 12 February 2013 - 05:42 AM.

• 0 Likes

WorldPeaceAndStuff

WorldPeaceAndStuff

Android Lover

• 118 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:34 AM #159

Pandora is how I run my data up. That and navigation going every minute I'm in a car easily gets me 3gb a month. I use WiFi 100% of the time I can use it too.

Since I moved and haven't set up wireless I've been on data more than WiFi. Even with that I'm probably not going over 6gb. That kind of overage on a 2gb limit would be murder yet you don't even realize you're going over. Back in the 90s you got less minutes and features and as the business grew you got more for less. With data they are going the opposite direction and it's purely profit as once infrastructure is built they sit back and collect till 5g comes out.

Someone should correlate the days they announced ends to unlimited data then map the change in their stock price. Should tell you all you need to know.

Edited by WorldPeaceAndStuff, 12 February 2013 - 06:42 AM.

• 0 Likes

mAlfunkti0n

mAlfunkti0n

Android Beginner

• 32 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:05 AM #160

I should state I am by no means saying because my usage is low everyone should be, obviously usage will differ greatly from person to person. I rarely use GPS in the car, only if I am unsure of where I am going. We have a good station now in Cincinnati so I use the radio quite a bit, or listen to NPR if I just want to have someone talk to me. We also use Spotify with offline mode and several playlists sync'd.

I would prefer to have unlimited, maybe that will happen again one day but until then I would rather pay a lot less.
  • 0 Likes