Rate this Topic

- - - - -

The KRYPTONITE project--Touchpad Hardware Subsystems and a kernel to match

• Please log in to reply

OP TecKnight

TecKnight

Android Dev

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:07 AM #1

As I am still waiting for my Touchpad to arrive, I decided to be as useful as I can without actually having access to a device, so I am currently working on a kernel very specifically for the Touchpad with manufacturer drivers for any known hardware component on the Touchpad. I am also removing components within the reference drivers that are not present on the Touchpad, such as a physical keypad. and tweaking the video framebuffer specs to the physical specs of the Touchpad (1024x768x16).
If anyone has any information that I don't have in this doc or has any corrections for me I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
TecKnight

Update:
[Wednesday 8/31 at 1:30 PM PST]
This is a work in progress intended to assist developers working on porting Android to the HP Touchpad. As HP has thus far not disclosed any interface level details on the Touchpad, the information presented here may be speculative.
Where relevant, I have indicated the sources of information that support my conclusions. This information will be updated or corrected as the facts become evident.
I am now in the process of building an Android kernel based on the current gingerbread source and the msm8660_surf profile from the codeaurora github.
I am removing items present in the msm8660_surf build that do not exist on the touchpad, such as the physical keypad and I am adding the hardware devices listed below.
I am also changing the video geometry to match the Touchpad's maximum video resolution (1024x768x16). I have given this kernel the codename "KRYPTONITE".
I will post the complete source and binaries once the kernel is built. Unfortunately HP is taking their sweet time shipping me my Touchpad, so I will be working with any developers with access to a touchpad once it has been built.
I expect to have my first successful build sometime Wednesday (8/31) or Thursday(9/1). At that point I will add a link to this document and post something on rootzwiki as well.
Any developers that would like to work with me on this, especially if you have access to a Touchpad, please feel free to message TecKnight at rootzwiki.com forums or email me: TecKnight@gmail.com

KRYPTONITE-Hardware Subsystems HP Touchpad

My HP Touchpad Devs Folder

Edited by TecKnight, 31 August 2011 - 12:36 PM.
New info

• 17 Likes

adamfuhrman

adamfuhrman

Android Apprentice

• 15 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:57 AM #2

http://www.isuppli.c...-Materials.aspx

this might help you
  • 0 Likes

twiddler

twiddler

Android Apprentice

• 66 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:03 AM #3

As I am still waiting for my Touchpad to arrive, I decided to be as useful as I can without actually having access to a device, so I am currently working on a kernel very specifically for the Touchpad with manufacturer drivers for any known hardware component on the Touchpad. I am also removing components within the reference drivers that are not present on the Touchpad, such as a physical keypad. and tweaking the video framebuffer specs to the physical specs of the Touchpad (1024x768x16).
If anyone has any information that I don't have in this doc or has any corrections for me I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
TecKnight

Hardware Subsystems HP Touchpad

My HP Touchpad Devs Folder

I didn't know these touchpads were only 16bit color?
  • 0 Likes

OP TecKnight

TecKnight

Android Dev

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:26 AM #4

Yes, twiddler
Android's video framebuffer interfaces are all implemented at 16 bit color depth even if the underlying system supports > 16 bit
  • 0 Likes

OP TecKnight

TecKnight

Android Dev

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:19 AM #5

Thanks Adam.
If you look at my document, you will see that I do reference that document for several of the identified components.
Definitely useful for our purposes, which of course is to get Android running on this baby.
TecKnight
  • 0 Likes

MyPDAphone

MyPDAphone

Android Apprentice

• 36 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:13 AM #6

Cool. Would the keyboard drivers you are removing be needed for an external keyboard?
  • 0 Likes

jefbal99

jefbal99

Android Beginner

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:42 AM #7

Cool. Would the keyboard drivers you are removing be needed for an external keyboard?

Agreed, bluetooth keyboards are very nice for typing longer emails and documents.
  • 0 Likes

OP TecKnight

TecKnight

Android Dev

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:14 PM #8

The reference msm8660_surf device is a developer board called a DragonBoard. The DragonBoard was created by Qualcomm to show off the APQ8060 processor and to allow hardware developers to test various devices with the new processor. The Dragonboard has a physical keypad (see image)

I am simply removing the reference to this hardware. This will have no effect on touch screen based keyboards, USB keyboards or Bluetooth keyboards. They will all function normally.
The reason I am using this as the reference build for KRYPTONITE, is that the DragonBoard is currently the only other released device using the Qualcomm APQ8060 processor and since it is a developer product, Qualcomm has full source code freely available.
TecKnight

Attached Thumbnails

• DragonBoard.png

Edited by TecKnight, 31 August 2011 - 07:19 PM.

• 1 Likes

bmtbandit

bmtbandit

Android Apprentice

• 37 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:38 AM #9

I see in your write up the presence of a GPS chip. I was under the impression the TP did not have GPS.

SO there is a chip, and webOS just is not utilizing it?

Edited by bmtbandit, 01 September 2011 - 04:22 AM.

• 0 Likes

md213

md213

Android Apprentice

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:10 AM #10

I see in your write up the presence of a GPS chip. I was under the impression the TP did not have GPS.

SO there is a chip, and webOS just is not utilizing it?

The 3G version of the TouchPad did/does have a GPS built-in...but the non-3G (aka - the WiFi version most people have...especially those who bought their TouchPad via the "firesale") do not have GPS built in.

There are rumors of people either getting or working to get an external GPS unit (usually a bluetooth GPS unit) to work with their TouchPad...but those claims are unsubstantiated from my research.

I hope this helps! :)
  • 0 Likes