Rate this Topic

4 votes

[kernel][kitkat][v5.1, 11/20/14] leanKernel: Minimalistic kernel

• Please log in to reply

Protonus

Protonus

Thread Killer

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:41 PM #531

imoseyon - Nice to see you're still around! I don't know if you remember me, but I was a huge fan of your work on the Galaxy Nexus and original Nexus 7. I recently acquired a 2013 Nexus 7, and I'm desperate for a good kernel for it, you were the first person I thought of when I started looking for one, but I haven't found any yet, have you ever made a kernel for Flo?
  • 0 Likes

OP imoseyon

imoseyon

Developer

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:50 PM #532

Supports Lollipop and f2fs.

Protonus: sorry i don't have a Flo..

Edited by imoseyon, 21 November 2014 - 07:09 PM.

• 0 Likes

madduffy

madduffy

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:37 AM #533

Could be a stupid question: Are the 5.x kernels incompatible with kitkat? Got a update binary error flashing when I tried with your latest.
  • 0 Likes

OP imoseyon

imoseyon

Developer

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:09 PM #534

Could be a stupid question: Are the 5.x kernels incompatible with kitkat? Got a update binary error flashing when I tried with your latest.

Sorry I should have been clear.  v5.x versions are *not* compatible with kitkat.  They're for lollipop only.

• 0 Likes

abqnm

abqnm

Carbon-Based Robotic Tech Machine

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:08 AM #535

I'm baaaaaccccckkkkk! Hey @imoseyon. How are you? It's been a while. I just got a 16gb grouper from a friend for $20 (my Galaxy Note 8.0 was damaged beyond repair and I needed a tablet quickly) so I had to go with LeanKernel. I am running 5.2 on 5.0.2, and while the tablet itself leaves a bit to be desired (OK, it is pretty slow}, your kernel works great. I hadn't been on rootzwiki in a while so I didn't realize you had a grouper kernel. I first tried m-kernel (http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2168787), but init.d was broken and it just didn't feel right and it caused the process "android" to crash every few hours. The Antutu scores for the runtime section were consistently in the sub-200 range regardless of settings (yes, two HUNDRED). Then I stumbled upon LeanKernel posted at xda and linked back here, so I installed it and the runtime scores are over 2500. The difference was immediately noticeable and it also just feels smoother. The device is clearly showing its age and is still quite laggy in many scenarios (probably Lollipop), but for $20 I'll deal with it.

This brings me to my question.  On m-kernel, there was a kernel level feature to adjust minimum and maximum backlight levels.  The stock range was 10-255, and I find that the minimum brightness level is too bright for night viewing.  I can use a screen filter app like lux, but that just applies an overlay, which doesn't dim the backlight and uses cpu and gpu resources to draw the overlay, reducing battery.  I would rather not go this route.  With m-kernel, I found the ideal minimum level to be 6 (down from 10).  If it is not too much work, do you think you could add this to the kernel?  I do not need to reduce the max brightness, but I would like to be able to reduce the minimum brightness threshold.

If you can't or it is too much work for such an old device, don't worry about it, I will just deal with it and use something like lux, but I would rather adjust it at the kernel level if I can so the system can use it in its adaptive brightness.

I do have to admit that I was expecting more out of Lollipop on this device.  It feels somewhat like I am using my Galaxy Nexus again.  I like the OS, and would rather use the same OS as I have on my phone, so I plan to keep it, but it isn't that great on grouper.  On my HTC One Google Play Edition, Kit Kat 4.4.4 was always a bit laggy and never really felt fully optimized.  That changed with the 5.0.1 Lollipop update.  It transformed the device.  It really felt like the Snapdragon 600 was replaced with a Snapdragon 800.  Everything is so smooth and lag free all the time.  So it is a bit jarring to use the Nexus 7.  I will probably buy a 2013 model too as I am sure there are bound to be more refurbished deals on them coming after Christmas.  Do you develop for the 2013 Nexus 7 as well?  Or I may buy another Note 8.0, though I never found myself using the stylus, and I like Lollipop.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you are still active.  I haven't been on RootzWiki in forever, as there is so little development for my current phone, I am pretty much stuck at XDA.  I just happened upon a thread where someone had posted your kernel and linked back here.  I hope your holidays are going well and thanks again for the great kernel and I hope you will be able to implement the backlight control.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me or send me an email.

(Edited to correct a minor mistake and tapatalk deleted 2/3 of my post.  Had to type it again.  If you got an email notification, that is why it is different.  I was just going from memory.  I probably left some stuff out too, but oh well.)

Edit #2:  I just ordered a 2013 Nexus 7, so I probably won't be using this one much.  So, if you happen to see this, don't worry about the backlight control, unless it is easy and you want to add it, as I won't really be needing it when the new one arrives in a few days.  Anyway, thanks for the kernel for grouper as it is about the only thing that makes Lollipop even usable on it.  See you around, imoseyon.

Edited by abqnm, 29 December 2014 - 04:09 PM.

• 0 Likes

If you want to be sure I see your reply, please actually use the QUOTE button as I may not always be subscribed to the thread.

HTC One GPE & Nexus 7 (grouper)

Too many old Androids to list...

-Android user/abuser since December 2009-

lparcshinoda

lparcshinoda

Average Android

Posted 29 December 2014 - 05:07 AM #536

Supports Lollipop and f2fs.

Protonus: sorry i don't have a Flo..

@Imoseyon will this kernel be updated to benefit the updates of 5.0.2?

https://android.goog....uper/ /c331a05
https://android.goog....uper/ /bf43d83

Thanks 

• 0 Likes

abqnm

abqnm

Carbon-Based Robotic Tech Machine

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:59 AM #537

@Imoseyon will this kernel be updated to benefit the updates of 5.0.2?

https://android.goog....uper/ /c331a05
https://android.goog....uper/ /bf43d83

Thanks

I'm betting those changes aren't relevant to leankernel since it is already optimized past what Google has done, but I'm just speculating here. Either way, version 5.2 (no announcement post for it, but it is in the download link) runs great on 5.0.2. Hopefully imoseyon checks in soon.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

• 0 Likes

If you want to be sure I see your reply, please actually use the QUOTE button as I may not always be subscribed to the thread.

HTC One GPE & Nexus 7 (grouper)

Too many old Androids to list...

-Android user/abuser since December 2009-