3. 0/5

Gmail 4.2 installation trouble

• Please log in to reply

OP wingchun108tek

wingchun108tek

Noob For Now

• 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:54 PM #1

I'm not sure if i'm posting this question in the right place so forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

I am having trouble installing the new gmail apk from Android Police that includes the pinch and zoom. When i try to install in apk i get the message.

X App not installed
An existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed.

I have tried googling how to fix this but no luck. I'm very noobish so please keep this in mind. Any suggestions? I'm currently running AOKP from Phantom on a VZW GS3.

Thanks in advance for the help.
  • 0 Likes

Sandman007

Sandman007

Deadly_Hamsters

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:56 PM #2

You need to uninstall the Gmail you have installed. In order to do this you can use TIBU to delete Gmail. Then Reboot. Then install the new Gmail an use TIBU to convert the new Gmail app to a system app.
  • 1 Likes

VZW Galaxy S3
Recovery: TWRP
ROM: ChaOS

OP wingchun108tek

wingchun108tek

Noob For Now

• 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:10 PM #3

You need to uninstall the Gmail you have installed. In order to do this you can use TIBU to delete Gmail. Then Reboot. Then install the new Gmail an use TIBU to convert the new Gmail app to a system app.

I think the part that i dont know how to do is how to use TIBU to convert to a system app. Can you tell me please? I just tried googleing (convert to system app using TIBU) but i'm going in circles.

Edit: Also when you say "delete" is that the same as force remove or uninstall?

Edited by wingchun108tek, 15 October 2012 - 05:20 PM.

• 0 Likes

yarly

yarly

Just a noob that doesn't know what he's talking about

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:22 PM #4

1) Delete old gmail with titanium backup

2) use a file explorer with root (mount system partition) to move the new gmail 4.2 to /system/app (renamed as Gmail.apk)

3) Reboot and done
  • 2 Likes

OP wingchun108tek

wingchun108tek

Noob For Now

• 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:27 PM #5

1) Delete old gmail with titanium backup

2) use a file explorer with root (mount system partition) to move the new gmail 4.2 to /system/app (renamed as Gmail.apk)

3) Reboot and done

thanks. I just learned a few things from asking this question. Thanks to everyone who helped out.
  • 0 Likes

OP wingchun108tek

wingchun108tek

Noob For Now

• 158 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:58 PM #6

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1934081
  • 0 Likes

theandroidrooter88

theandroidrooter88

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:24 AM #7

You have to get rid of the old Gmail first. You can do this by either a root explorer or by using Titanium Backup. After you deleted the old Gmail, the new Gmail should install. After, you have to put it in the system /apps folder.
  • 0 Likes

roysten

roysten

Average Android

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:04 AM #8

Here is something new in 4.2 with multiple user accounts. It is no longer sufficient to uninstall an app. Found out the hard way that other users within my nexus 7 would still be holding some kind of references to the old app and resulted the installation of new version of the same app to complain of signature conflict.

The right way to do is to go to Settings -> Apps -> Selected app -> Clear data

Here is the most important part: Do not use the Uninstall option that is found here. Instead pull down the option menu from the top right corner and select "Uninstall for all users".

The option is rather obscure but since multi-user is still new, hopefully the UI design would become better in the next release.
  • 0 Likes

viseo

viseo

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:44 AM #9

Not sure if you did use the correct Gmail 4.2 Leaked application, you can download the correct one from here. After that follow what roysten said.
  • 0 Likes