1 votes

Charging Touchpad with a dead battery

• Please log in to reply

OP scy1192

scy1192

Android Beginner

• 35 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:42 AM #1

Ok, here's the deal. My Touchpad's battery is dead. It will not boot up and only gives the symbol that indicates it needs to be plugged in. I have an Amazon USB wall charger rated at 2.1A and a microUSB cable, so all should be fine, but it still tells me that I need to use the original cable, then it powers down. It for some reason won't even trickle charge when completely powered down. So, I'm stuck with a dead touchpad and equipment that should be more than adequate for charging it. What can I do besides buying an official charger and cable for $20?

edit: it did eventually trickle charge to where it could boot, but it doesn't seem to be receiving more than the standard 500mA (based on how fast it's charging)

Edited by scy1192, 02 October 2012 - 12:43 PM.

• 0 Likes

silv

silv

Average Android

• 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:53 PM #2

I know that problem. Only solution: use original charger and cable. I've failed to find another working combination, too.
  • 0 Likes

papstar

papstar

Android Apprentice

• 38 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:12 PM #3

Apparently the HP USB cable is the only cable capable of taking that much power. Forgot where I read that though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,676 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:09 PM #4

Apparently the HP USB cable is the only cable capable of taking that much power. Forgot where I read that though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

I'm using a cable from a phone and it charges fine.
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,676 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:15 PM #5

Ok, here's the deal. My Touchpad's battery is dead. It will not boot up and only gives the symbol that indicates it needs to be plugged in. I have an Amazon USB wall charger rated at 2.1A and a microUSB cable, so all should be fine, but it still tells me that I need to use the original cable, then it powers down. It for some reason won't even trickle charge when completely powered down. So, I'm stuck with a dead touchpad and equipment that should be more than adequate for charging it. What can I do besides buying an official charger and cable for $20?

edit: it did eventually trickle charge to where it could boot, but it doesn't seem to be receiving more than the standard 500mA (based on how fast it's charging)

Many third party chargers will not work correctly with a TP. Where is your HP charger? At 500mA, turn off wifi and put TP to sleep. It should reach 100% in 15 to 24 hours.

Edited by nevertells, 02 October 2012 - 04:15 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP scy1192

scy1192

Android Beginner

• 35 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:19 PM #6

Many third party chargers will not work correctly with a TP. Where is your HP charger? At 500mA, turn off wifi and put TP to sleep. It should reach 100% in 15 to 24 hours.

Charger is at home, I'm a college student so it's not really worth it to go back just for a charger. I think it's going at 2A (maybe just 1A) now that I got it to boot up. It took about an hour to charge to 6%, then another hour to go to ~50%.
  • 0 Likes

PIMCO

PIMCO

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:40 PM #7

I have the same problem, but I don't even get the "plug-in" graphic anymore.

Have had this problem several times before, but solved it fairly easily buy leaving it plugged in overnight and then pressing the home, on/off and volume button randomly until it booted up. This is no longer possible.

I have the stock HP charger and what I believe is the factory cable (blue?). I was advised to charge it through the USB because of the lover amperage/voltage output, to no avail.

Any other suggestions?
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,676 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:11 AM #8

I have the same problem, but I don't even get the "plug-in" graphic anymore.

Have had this problem several times before, but solved it fairly easily buy leaving it plugged in overnight and then pressing the home, on/off and volume button randomly until it booted up. This is no longer possible.

I have the stock HP charger and what I believe is the factory cable (blue?). I was advised to charge it through the USB because of the lover amperage/voltage output, to no avail.

Any other suggestions?

Factory cable is not blue. It's black and the plugs have silver dots on one side to help orientate plugging them in. it could be a bad cable, a bad charger, the end cap on the charger may not be fully locked in place. The end with the prongs is removable. Make sure it is fully rotated fully clock wise. Try a different cable. Try charging another device like your phone to verify the charger/cable setup is working.

The fact that you are not getting the lightning bolt charging symbol says one of the above is preventing charging.
  • 0 Likes

PIMCO

PIMCO

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:41 PM #9

I confirmed that the charger with the blue cable (that I have been using all the time) worked on a Blackberry.

I have another black and slightly longer cable that has a chrome dot at the one side of the plug, but I don't think this cable works at all.

Still clueless? Should I take it to a computer shop?
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,676 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:55 PM #10

I confirmed that the charger with the blue cable (that I have been using all the time) worked on a Blackberry.

I have another black and slightly longer cable that has a chrome dot at the one side of the plug, but I don't think this cable works at all.

Still clueless? Should I take it to a computer shop?

Does it charge in webOS?
  • 0 Likes