Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:33 PM #1

Droid RAZR M Rooted Yet?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

vtwinbmx

vtwinbmx

Full Throttle!

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:34 AM #2

No. And there will not be rom what I've been told. There is no point in rooting it when on the 24th the developer edition comes out that will be the device that will get the attention not the retail one.
  • 0 Likes
Join Dropbox get 500MB Extra Free http://db.tt/uLdhgfRc
Droid Razr Full Throttle Rom!
Jb RAZR roms

radiopayola

radiopayola

• 26 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:22 AM #3

And there will not be rom what I've been told. There is no point in rooting it when on the 24th the developer edition comes out that will be the device that will get the attention not the retail one.

This is bullshit, and it sounds like the kind of crap they'd tell you in the comments of some idiot's fan blog. Don't believe everything you've been told. The developer edition will almost certainly be virtually identical, and everything that works on it will work on the regular phone with little or no effort. Developers are real people too and sometimes buy their phones subsidized or used on ebay like the rest of us. Beyond that, developers don't release root solutions for their own personal convenience most of the time. They do this work so they can foster their community and have a broader audience to use/test their efforts.

Edited by radiopayola, 23 September 2012 - 05:23 AM.

• 0 Likes

vtwinbmx

vtwinbmx

Full Throttle!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:36 AM #4

Huh you know nothing why don't you talk to and understand who is working on what
What I reported was fact. Bottom line it is a throw away phone and will never get anything done to it why waste time working on something with a locked boot loader when on Tuesday you have a unlocked phone you can do anything to.

All I know is that their is a new kind of security system in the kernel making it harder to root and that they took away "cat" ,"dd" and one other command line utility.

Dan Rosenberg himself, the guy who has made all of the root exploits says that its unrootable because of the new security system. I don't much else about it.

Further more
that part of the file system that needs to be rooted (or whatever) is in fact located in the kernel, which as we know, unless you have the dev edition, the bootloader is locked. Which means no access to the kernel for root.

So go ahead and call bs some more
  • 0 Likes
Jb RAZR roms

radiopayola

radiopayola

• 26 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:21 AM #5

Dan Rosenberg himself, the guy who has made all of the root exploits says that its unrootable because of the new security system. I don't much else about it.
So go ahead and call bs some more

OK, I will. That's bullshit. Dan's quote has a certain context- that of his own *past* rooting experiences, and the quote should be interpreted as such. Case in point, he has also recently stated that he's 'not the rooting guy' anymore. Therefore, we should leave the assessments of rootability to the rooting people who replace him. Look back at all of the phones that have been released and quickly deemed as "unrootable" by the rooters of the moment? How many phones are left unrooted? Mark my words, it will happen...and it's a fairly safe bet that having a developer edition of the same hardware in our hands will make the task go a little more smoothly.

Edited by radiopayola, 23 September 2012 - 10:21 AM.

• 0 Likes

vtwinbmx

vtwinbmx

Full Throttle!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:36 PM #6

In six months a year or two years from now when you still stock unrooted just look back and remember I told you so. I was just posting the information that I had good luck with your stock m
  • 0 Likes
Jb RAZR roms

radiopayola

radiopayola

• 26 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:00 PM #7

In six months a year or two years from now when you still stock unrooted

LOL...left yourself quite a bit of wiggle room in that prediction. Don't worry, I'll keep it fair by laughing in your face even if root hits somewhere in the 6-12 month window.

Finally, don't worry about me.. I won't be picking one up until it's rooted...not even the developer edition. While I don't agree with your BS overstatement on rootability or your mistatement on attention (afterall, they're essentially the same device once the sub'd version is rooted), I'm not one to accept a gamble on usability and community support. As much as I like the razr m, I also won't be a part of the demand for a product that stifles the role of custom firmware on android devices.
  • 0 Likes

Snow02

Snow02

Android Lover

• 1,260 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:56 PM #8

LOL...left yourself quite a bit of wiggle room in that prediction. Don't worry, I'll keep it fair by laughing in your face even if root hits somewhere in the 6-12 month window.

Finally, don't worry about me.. I won't be picking one up until it's rooted...not even the developer edition. While I don't agree with your BS overstatement on rootability or your mistatement on attention (afterall, they're essentially the same device once the sub'd version is rooted), I'm not one to accept a gamble on usability and community support. As much as I like the razr m, I also won't be a part of the demand for a product that stifles the role of custom firmware on android devices.

If they did indeed neuter the kernel, it's probably not rootable. It's definitely not going to be unlockable. I still say the community completely shun Motorola devices until that changes. Dev editions are not the answer, until cell plans credit you for bringing your own phone and being off contract.
  • 0 Likes

radiopayola

radiopayola

• 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:38 AM #9

I still say the community completely shun Motorola devices until that changes.

In an ideal world, yea... I'm with you in theory, but the reality is that motorola products are too good to be ignored by battery life, form factor, and durability junkies.

The other reality is that the problem isn't really motorola. It's Verizon leveraging their position as Motorola's former lifeline to get what they want. If they hadn't started this garbage before the Google acquisition, we probably wouldn't have to worry about this...but the damage was done while motorola was in a weak market position and needed verizon badly. Samsung just doesn't give a shit. It's time and money they're not willing to invest because they know verizon wants their products too badly to do anything about it. I believe the verizon chest-thumping from last year where they said "we have enough great products without the galaxy S 2" was a failed effort to pressure samsung on this issue.

I'm hopeful that motorola will come around to a similar frame of mind when their exclusivity deals with verizon start running out, but I still think it's important for the community to draw a line in the sand over this "dev edition" garbage. You're exactly right. They are not the answer. Dev editions marginalize the role of this community by narrowing the audience for custom firmware to non-contract users who happen to be smart enough to seek one out. Can't stress enough how bad that is...

Edited by radiopayola, 24 September 2012 - 09:26 AM.

• 2 Likes

afmracer6

afmracer6

Android Beginner

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:26 AM #10

In an ideal world, yea... I'm with you in theory, but the reality is that motorola products are too good to be ignored by battery life, form factor, and durability junkies.

The other reality is that the problem isn't really motorola. It's Verizon leveraging their position as Motorola's former lifeline to get what they want. If they hadn't started this garbage before the Google acquisition, we probably wouldn't have to worry about this...but the damage was done while motorola was in a weak market position and needed verizon badly. Samsung just doesn't give a shit. It's time and money they're not willing to invest because they know verizon wants their products too badly to do anything about it. I believe the verizon chest-thumping from last year where they said "we have enough great products without the galaxy S 2" was a failed effort to pressure samsung on this issue.

I'm hopeful that motorola will come around to a similar frame of mind when their exclusivity deals with verizon start running out, but I still think it's important for the community to draw a line in the sand over this "dev edition" garbage. You're exactly right. They are not the answer. Dev editions marginalize the role of this community by narrowing the audience for custom firmware to non-contract users who happen to be smart enough to seek one out. Can't stress enough how bad that is...

well said.
  • 0 Likes