1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

turn on tablet without pressing power button?

• Please log in to reply

OP dan99

dan99

Average Android

• 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:34 PM #1

lets say im putting a nexus 7 on a car, and am unable to reach the power button due to being behind the dashboard. Would it be possible to somehow make it so that the tablet turns on when the usb cable is plugged in from a completely off state?
  • 0 Likes

Kpa2727

Kpa2727

Android Apprentice

• 121 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:06 PM #2

it's not possible unless you could somehow wrie maybe a kernal to tell the magnetic trigger input to power on instead of awake sleep. as far as what you can do, if you pull the back off you can see that the power button is easy enough to solder onto. if you have enough knowledge to install it in a dash i'm sure you can handle soldering on and running it to a switch under the dash or even the accesory trip wire in the car that feeds the ignition. so turn the car on N7 boots.

Edited by Kpa2727, 14 September 2012 - 09:07 PM.

• 0 Likes

T-Keith

T-Keith

Android Beginner

• 180 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:35 AM #3

There is pgm for the galaxy nexus that can turn the screen on with a swipe or triple tap. Just needs a compatible kernel.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend

Rom Flashers Anonymous Member

• 127 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:56 AM #4

There is pgm for the galaxy nexus that can turn the screen on with a swipe or triple tap. Just needs a compatible kernel.

Yeah but that's to turn the screen on from a sleep state. OP wants to be able to turn the device on from a powered off state.
  • 0 Likes

deltaechoe

deltaechoe

Average Android

• 162 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:58 PM #5

if you are going to install it in the dash, just make some buttons to go along with it
  • 0 Likes

JRJ442

JRJ442

Thread Killer

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:56 PM #6

I thought the dev already said he cant get it to work with N7?
  • 0 Likes

iAppleDev

iAppleDev

• 10 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:58 PM #7

I think there are a few ways if you dig in under the back cover.
The buttons could be re located some where more convenient by ether making an extensions or :-) the ribbon cable that runs from mother board to the buttons or you could get the pin out for the clip and just solder some very small wires onto the right terminals of the clip/ribbon cables connector. There is only 8 wires and 4 buttons so it shouldn't be to hard to run a button with only two wires anywhere in your car. If you go this far you might as well do the volume wires and have easy access to them:-)

Edited by iAppleDev, 15 September 2012 - 09:25 PM.

• 0 Likes

T-Keith

T-Keith

Android Beginner

• 180 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:24 AM #8

I see, well I know my touchpad will automatically wake when it begins charging, but this is probably more of a hardware thing.

Sent from my hp touchpad
  • 0 Likes

hesh.monster

hesh.monster

troll

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:40 AM #9

I'm guessing your touchpad is running CM, if so that is just how CM handles charging. Most devices I have run it on do the same.

To the OP that may be an option in itself, try running CM and see if your version on the N7 has this "feature"

Sent from my SPH-L710 using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

OP dan99

dan99

Average Android

• 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:54 PM #10

I tried CM10, but doesnt have this feature. Is there a kernel that can do this? Something that instead of showing the charging animation it could power up the tablet?
  • 0 Likes