Android OS Forum banner

"Factory" images for unrooting and locking an IMM76Q phone

7K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  uh-oh 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I received a replacement phone with the IMM76Q build. Since the toolkit is not released, on XDA I found this zip to get my phone back to IMM76Q, but I need to un root and re-lock without going back to IMM76K.
http://www.randompha...axy-nexus/i515/ (http://forum.xda-dev...=1754494&page=5)

What can I do in the change the ICL53F image files currently in circulation for all the Toro "Unroot and lock" guides so it is the way it came from the factory? Could a kind soul on here possibly get the toolkit changed? I'm sure this will be cropping up a lot in coming months.
Thank you for reading and possibly helping!

SOLUTION. I am not a professional, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, and what you do with your phone is your responsibility. This is only what I did.

Download the zip file from above or from the post on page 2.
Flash your factory images via your "return to stock" method of choice via fastboot or some toolkit. (I have done this only from bootloader.)
Now your phone is OEM stock software, unrooted, but still unlocked.

The IMM76Q zip can not be flashed in stock recovery. BUT, based upon past idiocy on my part, I remembered I could install a recovery and it wouldn't persist across a reboot.
From a stock, unlocked, unrooted phone in bootloader:
Flash TWRP since there is no superuser apk to get embedded in the system files.
Boot to recovery.
Flash zip in recovery.
Reboot system.
Reboot to bootloader.
Lock.
Reboot.
Then you can factory reset the phone and be on your way.

I think.

See less See more
#2 ·
You can go back to IMM76K and no one will ever know that you were on IMM76Q. As long as it's on some kind of stock ROM & locked, you'll be fine.

You really can't change an image to become IMM76Q. There is way too many changes to even think about it.

#3 ·
I think the build date (8/03 from Korea) would tip off if I send it back, which I think I have to. I believe Q was the workaround for Samsung to continue importing them after the injuction because of the lawsuit. I can imagine it would be a PITA.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I had linked the zip in the OP, but I am having trouble getting it to flash.
Would this be the proper command order? I've come to an impasse... Do I need to extract the files from the zip and flash each individually?

fastboot-windows flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primela03.img
fastboot-windows reboot-bootloader
fastboot-windows flash radio radio-toro-i515.fc05.img
fastboot-windows flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.fc04.img
fastboot-windows -w update image-mysid-imm76k.zip
fastboot-windows -w update b91e5f741f80.signed-mysid-IMM76Q-from-IMM76K.b91e5f74.zip
fastboot-windows oem lock

I keep getting an error that the Q update " archive does not contain 'android-info.txt'".

Thanks for all the help!

#25 ·
You can use Wug's tool kit to flash back to K then use it to flash into temporary cwd recovery and choose to install update zip from your computer. Kind of the long way to get there but its just another option. Its pretty easy to figure out if, you just have to play around with it a bit.

#28 ·
Well when I go into stock recovery locked and unrooted it looks for a file in the /cache directory to flash. Now my question is can I adb push the update.zip to that directory without root. I know I can't write to system from a file explorer but is there a way to get temporary root access through adb?

Sent from Vanir that tastes like Popcorn....

#29 ·
I really do not think the person checking the phone in will know or even be looking for a K or Q.

Technically in Verizon's system they probably have the K listed as the latest update since Verizon has not pushed anything newer out then that. So technically that is Verizon's latest update for the mass public. So if you think who ever is checking in these phones will check the date of your refurb, then look to see if you have the Q update and not the K, you have much more confidence in them then most of us.

Anyway, I know what you are saying about piece of mind though knowing it is exactly how you received it.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.