Rate this Topic

- - - - -

VZW hardbrick?

• Please log in to reply

OP kichard

kichard

• 39 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:21 AM #1

Lost my IEMI again after a flash of CM10. Tried to Odin back to stock to restore it. Now my phone refuses to boot. Odin shows a success and "restarts" my phone. Last night I was able to boot to download/recovery mode fine, I tried to odin back several times with no success. This morning I now can't even get my screen to come on. I try to boot to download/recovery mode and all I get is a vibration from the device.

Have I finally killed my phone?

I don't know why this would have happened.

Sadly if I can't get it running I won't be TOO mad. This has been the biggest PITA device I've ever had as far as flashing roms/kernels.

Thanks guys!
  • 0 Likes

adam

adam

Android Apprentice

• 45 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:06 AM #2

dead battery?
  • 0 Likes

myredfast

myredfast

• 19 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:12 AM #3

dead battery?

+1 ^^^

Peace out you POS locked bootloader, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!!
  • 0 Likes

OP kichard

kichard

• 39 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:09 PM #4

Made sure the battery was charged. Still doesn't work. It passes Odin fine, I see "samsung"-Galaxy SIII-black screen.
  • 0 Likes

AzJazz

AzJazz

WTF am I doing to my PHONE?

• 150 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:51 PM #5

kichard - So, you can get to Download Mode OK? If "Yes", do the following. These steps will take you back to rooted stock.

Prep Work:
  • You will need to have a Bit Torrent client installed on your Windows PC. I like: uTorrent
  • You will need 7-Zip installed on your computer: 7-Zip
  • Make sure you have the latest Samsung USB Drivers installed: Sammy USB Drivers
  • You probably already have Odin 3.07 installed. If not, go here: Odin v3.07
  • If you want to check the MD5 of the ROM file, I like: WinMD5
(Note: This will wipe your phone clean as a whistle. You might want to remove your external SD card first.)
  • Download the Rooted VZW GS3 Stock ROM here: stock.vzw_root66.7z (MD5: be4350a56e739eaf7a4184352d653a7b)
    • If you want, use WinMD5 to check the MD5 of the downloaded file against the value above.
  • Unzip the stock.vzw_root66.7z file using 7-Zip. Store the extracted stock.vzw_root66.tar file in a convenient location.
  • Boot your "Mostly Dead" GS3 into Download Mode by:
    • Power down your GS3
    • Press the Vol Down + Home buttons simultaneously
    • Keeping those buttons depressed, press and hold the Power button until the phone boots up with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark.
    • Press the Vol Up button.
  • Using a good quality USB cable, and plugging directly into your PC (not through a hub), plug your "Mostly Dead" GS3 into a USB port, and let it be recognized by the Sammy USB drivers.
  • Start Odin 3.07. You should see the phone recognized with a light blue 0:[COMxx] in the leftmost box.
  • Make sure that Re-Partition is not enabled.
  • Auto Reboot should not be enabled.
  • F. Reset Time should be enabled.
  • Press the PDA button. This will open up a file browser window. Navigate and select the stock.vzw_root66.tar file.
  • Press the Start button.
  • It will take a while (about 10 minutes or so) as your phone gets rewritten to stock (but, rooted).
  • When the programming is successfully completed, you can unplug it from the PC.
  • Open up the back of your GS3 and remove the battery.
  • Reinsert the battery after about 10 seconds.
  • Boot your resurrected GS3 into stock Recovery Mode by:
    • Press the Vol Up + Home buttons simultaneously
    • Keeping those buttons depressed, press and hold the Power button until the phone boots up into Recovery Mode.
  • Pull out your magnifying glass.
  • Using the Vol Up / Vol Down buttons, select wipe data / factory reset. Press the Power button to select.
  • Move the selection down to the delete all user data. Press the Power button to select. (Note: This is where your internal SD memory gets totally wiped, which is different from other Custom Recovery Modes)
  • Go back to the main screen and select the reboot system option.
  • Hopefully, your GS3 is now operational again!
Cheers,

AzJazz

(If I helped, remember that Like This button!)

Edited by AzJazz, 29 August 2012 - 11:14 PM.

• 2 Likes