Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Cant access recovery!

• Please log in to reply

OP happypizza

happypizza

• 47 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:08 PM #1

2 weeks ago I used the Nexus root toolkit to unlock, root, and install the bootloader on my N7. I also had it flash CWM at the same time. Now when I try to boot into recovery I just get stuck at the Google logo. Eventually I can hold down volume + i think and the power button and it will reset, but it means I cant flash anything. I searched around and haven't found any solution. Should i just go back to stock and try the process over again... thanks!
  • 0 Likes

housry23

housry23

Android Apprentice

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:47 AM #2

You have to either boot into bootloader when plugged into a computer and access recovery that way, or plug into computer and use adb to boot onto recovery. Or install a mod or an app that will give you options to boot into recovery. My favorite root app is called Rom Toolbox Pro and it has a rebooter that gives you the option.
  • 0 Likes
Download Linux Mint 13 http://www.linuxmint.com/

Millioke

Millioke

Android Beginner

• 32 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:07 AM #3

Did this happen after you tried to flash a rom? If so, don't forget to factory reset after the cache wipes. I was having a problem like this too. There's a few topics covering this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

throwbot

throwbot

Android Master

• 802 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:09 AM #4

Yeah its that damn bug. I hardly even flashed much when I got my first seven BC I was afraid of boot loops where I'm on the road so much.

I'm sure there are unique cases (and I don't know if mine is one of those or if I have the exact same problem as everyone else) but basically I can't EVER get to my recovery by powering up the device into the bootloader and scrolling up to it. If I do try going into my recovery from the boot loader, I wind up with the dreaded "Google stare" where it freezes at the splash screen. I either have to have it plugged in to a computer or I have to use rom manager or rom toolbox, or like the power menu has a "reboot to recovery". Pretty much anyway I can get to my recovery works, its only going through the boot loader where I have problems.

For some people it only does it sometimes, but the behavior with mine is super consistent. I'm fine if I'm bootlooping as long as I'm around a computer.

I might have gone on this rant for nothing if thats not what you're talking about, but it sounds like it.

• 0 Likes
Jesus promised to rid the world of wicked people.
Thor promised to rid the world of Frost Giants.
I dont see any Frost Giants.

throwbot

throwbot

Android Master

• 802 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:10 AM #5

Did this happen after you tried to flash a rom? If so, don't forget to factory reset after the cache wipes. I was having a problem like this too. There's a few topics covering this.

Btw, so its better to factory reset after wiping the cache? Sometimes just to be sure I'll do each one a couple of times, and I've always wondered what the difference in order was.

• 0 Likes
Jesus promised to rid the world of wicked people.
Thor promised to rid the world of Frost Giants.
I dont see any Frost Giants.

Millioke

Millioke

Android Beginner

• 32 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:57 AM #6

I don't think wiping order matters. The factory reset is the key though.

• 0 Likes

nhat

nhat

Android Master

• 820 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:44 AM #7

I love using adb and fastboot. I never run into this issue.
  • 0 Likes

ridobe

ridobe

Shut up and wipe

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:44 AM #8

Adb and fastboot are wonderful. Just not on the road. I keep a OTG cable (think I paid $2) and can get to recovery simply by connecting to my gnex.
  • 0 Likes

nhat

nhat

Android Master

• 820 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:23 AM #9

Adb and fastboot are wonderful. Just not on the road. I keep a OTG cable (think I paid $2) and can get to recovery simply by connecting to my gnex.

When you're stock and only rooted, it works just fine ;) I never have nagging bugs that pop up with nightlies.
  • 0 Likes

Mustang302LX

Mustang302LX

Android Guru

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:09 AM #10

Everyone always overlooks terminal if your ROM doesn't have the advanced power options.

In terminal it's super easy....type su (hit enter and grant super user perms. if you haven't yet) then type reboot recovery (hit enter).....profit.
  • 4 Likes