1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

[POLL] What will be your next Phone and why?

• Please log in to reply

OP ElectroGeek

ElectroGeek

Droid Veteran

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:07 AM #1

Probably already been a thread on this but:

I am upgrading around Christmas and am trying to decide what to get.

Obviously the GNex is gonna be the easiest to root/ROM, but I really want a physical qwerty.

What are the best phones and best developed communities for my next phone?

What are you getting and why?

Droid2 Global VZW
cm-9-20120726-UNOFFICIAL-droid2we
tapatalk2beta5
  • 0 Likes

slogar25

slogar25

• 50 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:27 AM #2

Well I think you only have a Motorola option right now if you want the physical keyboard. I think for myself it will be the Droid 4. It has a fantastic slide out keyboard plus good specs to back it up. In addition, Motorola still builds the sturdiest phones in my opinion.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

Gasai Yuno

Gasai Yuno

ヤンデレ

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:54 AM #3

Probably Motorola Photon Q if they don't release the XT89x line come October (I don't think my patience will last longer, and Photon Q has GSM support — so, provided it's unlockable, it's a no-brainer).

Because, well, Motorola and QWERTY.

Not interested in Crapsung's plastic toys (and neither in HTC's).

If in the end Photon Q and XT89x end up a bad choice, the Xperia T (well, it doesn't have QWERTY, but I'm planning to get a TF700).
  • 0 Likes
▣Sony LT25i “Tsubasa”, Android 4.1.2 “Jelly Bean” with Xperia™ extensions
├── Stock ── Rooted ── Locked bootloader
├── Maximum speed witnessed over LTE: 98.2 Mbps
└── Average speed over LTE: 88.7 Mbps

INeedaDroid2GROM

INeedaDroid2GROM

Android Lover

• 107 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:54 AM #4

Probably the RAZR HD, or I'll see what Google has to offer with this years Nexus(s), assuming they come to Verizon, which I doubt seeing what happened with the Galaxy Nexus' release.
  • 0 Likes

trespasser

trespasser

• 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:36 PM #5

I am with ya on needing my physical QWERTY. My plan is to wait for the Droid 5 (if it even exists) or one of the Nexuses (Nexi?), whichever comes first. I think I am willing to sacrifice my physical QWERTY slider if there is a sweet new Nexus device on VZW with an unlocked bootloader.
  • 0 Likes

OP ElectroGeek

ElectroGeek

Droid Veteran

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:37 PM #6

Also if I get a nexus, the whole ROM issue is kinda moot isn't it?
I mean most of us ROM because we are playing catchup to the google release cycle. Rooting will allow us to deBLOAT the VZW "Nexus" (really shouldn't have to...). So for the foreseeable future there will be no reason to ROM unless it is an addicition:D

Droid2 Global VZW
cm-9-20120726-UNOFFICIAL-droid2we
tapatalk2beta5
  • 0 Likes

x13thangelx

x13thangelx

Developer

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:14 PM #7

If your on verizon and want a keyboard and LTE you have pretty much no choice: Droid 4.
Theres also Samsung Stratosphere but from glancing over comments on VZW's site it would appear to be not very good. Plus, you get sammy's craptastic radios...

Assuming I stay with verizon come upgrade time next month I'll probably end up with a D4.
  • 0 Likes
Unofficial CM9 builds for: DX, D2, D2G

Chaos2092

Chaos2092

Android Apprentice

• 149 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:19 PM #8

Hopefully Verizon will actually offer whatever the next Nexus phone is, and that it won't disappoint spec-wise. My upgrade isn't until roughly February so it should be announced and released by then, hopefully... if not I'll probably go for the SIII, much as I would love to have a keyboard I can't really see myself supporting phones with a framework that chokes the life out of the stock ROMs so much. I'm aware it's not nearly as bad since Froyo but Blur has left a horrific taste in my mouth even after giving GB stock some time.
  • 0 Likes

easye

easye

droidBerg

• 81 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:57 PM #9

I've had an upgrade for a little while now, haven't been too pressed at all to get a new phone thanks to our awesome dev's bringing ICS to our d2g. My eyes have been open but not really anything too appealing, i really like the gnex but I think id be better off waiting for the next Nexus. Seems like the best phone to have judging by the updates it will recieve directly from Google instead of waiting months after months for an update that potentially won't ever arrive. Hell, i thought we were never going to recieve Gingerbread considering we got the update a month before ICS was released lol...
  • 1 Likes
Drop the load, and hit the road.

x13thangelx

x13thangelx

Developer

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:04 PM #10

i really like the gnex but I think id be better off waiting for the next Nexus. Seems like the best phone to have judging by the updates it will recieve directly from Google instead of waiting months after months for an update that potentially won't ever arrive.

Doesn't quite work like that with VZW... It was several months between 4.0.4 being released and it getting it. And they completely skipped the 4.0.3 update.
  • 0 Likes
Unofficial CM9 builds for: DX, D2, D2G