Droid RAZR HD

• Please log in to reply

OP INeedaDroid2GROM

INeedaDroid2GROM

Android Lover

• 107 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:00 PM #1

http://www.droid-lif...-another-forum/

What do you guys think? Sticking with Motorola for your next phone? I'm getting it, encrypted bootloader or not. We won't be seeing a new Android version for a good amount of time, and if it comes with JB I'm set. Great radios, build quality, near stock software, virtual buttons, HD screen, great battery, and a good processor. I can't go wrong by getting this...hopefully. And if its bootloader is unlockable it'll pretty much be an upgraded Galaxy Nexus. Perfect.
  • 0 Likes

supercutetom

supercutetom

That guy who's not sexy but thinks he is.

• 120 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:36 PM #2

And if its bootloader is unlockable it'll pretty much be an upgraded Galaxy Nexus. Perfect.

Pretty big "if" there, buddy. I wouldn't count your betting money yet.
  • 0 Likes

_base2

_base2

meh.

• 410 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:39 PM #3

Bought the og droid razr under eerily similar assumptions and IFs... Only to be blatantly slapped in the face...

No more Motorola for me until they SIGNIFICANTLY change their business practices.

Gave my razr to my fiancee. Bought a nexus. Never looked back.

Even un-liked Motorola Mobility page on Facebook (only to make it official) lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
  • 1 Likes

Gasai Yuno

Gasai Yuno

ヤンデレ

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:05 PM #4

I want a GSM version of the Motorola Photon Q.

Is that too much?..
  • 0 Likes
▣Sony LT25i “Tsubasa”, Android 4.1.2 “Jelly Bean” with Xperia™ extensions
├── Stock ── Rooted ── Locked bootloader
├── Maximum speed witnessed over LTE: 98.2 Mbps
└── Average speed over LTE: 88.7 Mbps

OP INeedaDroid2GROM

INeedaDroid2GROM

Android Lover

• 107 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:22 PM #5

I want a GSM version of the Motorola Photon Q.

Is that too much?..

Aren't LTE phones GSM capable? At least the Rezound was.

Edited by INeedaDroid2GROM, 06 August 2012 - 12:04 AM.

• 0 Likes

x13thangelx

x13thangelx

Developer

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:10 AM #6

Aren't LTE phones GSM capable? At least the Rezound was.

LTE is a band of gsm iirc. Doesn't mean that all have the quad-band gsm radio though.
  • 0 Likes
Unofficial CM9 builds for: DX, D2, D2G

Gasai Yuno

Gasai Yuno

ヤンデレ

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:20 AM #7

LTE is 4G GSM and uses different bands/technologies. As for “GSM-capable LTE phones”, VZW's Galaxy Nexus is also LTE-enabled, but it just doesn't have GSM at all. Sure, “normally” you'd have a GSM transceiver that supports 2G, 3G (UMTS/HSPA) and 4G (LTE). But Verizon and Sprint's devices mostly use MDM6600 that's either GSM or CDMA, and LTE is provided by a separate transceiver.

The Rezound is a Global device, as is Photon Q, but I've about had it with CDMA retardation and “Global” stuff. A pure GSM device doesn't have even half of shit that is going on with Global phones. Look at CM9's telephony framework.

Basically if I get the Photon Q, I'll be stuck in a community similar to this one where 99% of the users generally share the “who cares about GSM” point of view. These devices are carrier exclusive and made primarily for CDMA/CDMA+LTE usage, and, well, you get the idea.

I'm hoping for an XT897/XT898 (basically GSM versions of the DROID4, refer to AT&T's XT896) hitting Europe. I don't even really need LTE as we get 42Mbps downstream on HSPA no problems.

Edited by Gasai Yuno, 06 August 2012 - 12:21 AM.

• 2 Likes

Jabberwockish

Jabberwockish

Every day I'm galumphin'

• 165 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:34 PM #8

I don't even really need LTE as we get 42Mbps downstream on HSPA no problems.

Braggart.

Some days I wish I could get the officers and boards of directors of AT&T and Verizon all together in one room and shove toothpicks under their fingernails until they adopt customer-friendly policies and price structures.
  • 0 Likes
Before you ask a question, try searching for an answer. If you still need help, ask your question the smart way.

Gasai Yuno

Gasai Yuno

ヤンデレ

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:23 PM #9

Well, you either get a download cap (usually without upload caps) and 42 Mbps, or no caps and lots of throttling. It's not all sparkles in Europe, too.
  • 0 Likes

ExodusC

ExodusC

Android Apprentice

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:09 AM #10

As far as using Verizon's devices on GSM networks, we recently discovered Verizon's Galaxy S3 variant actually supports HSPA+ on multiple bands (and it even seems to be unlocked out of the box- that, or it requires a generic unlock code like 1234 if I'm not mistaken).

So, it's a possibility of having the next Motorola device support it as well, but Motorola has seemed to be partial to the OMAP SoCs, and I'm honestly not sure about the radios on them.
  • 0 Likes