1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

* * * * -
3 votes

[Root] Droid X root method for 2.3.4/ 4.5.621 (does not require Milestone SBF)

• Please log in to reply

TheNautican

TheNautican

Average Android

• 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:54 AM #101

Ok, fixed it without needing a CD. I had to manually set the default USB device VirtualBox was using for the phone. After that, it ran fine. Thank you!

Edited by TheNautican, 05 October 2012 - 12:11 PM.

• 0 Likes

mgaylor

mgaylor

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:19 PM #102

I'm hoping you guys can help. i bought a used DX off ebay that already has .621 on it ive downloaded and burned the cd and have tried to root my dx several times but the first thing it says is rm failed for /data/preinstall_md5/magic md5/magic.md5. No such file or directory. and then proceeds thru the rest of the rooting process saying the installation of su and everything else has failed. Any thoughts???

Android Version

Baseband Version
BP_C_01.09.15p

Kernel Version
2.6.32.9-g1282440
mcbk83@il93lnxdroid08#1

Build Number
4.5.1_57_DX8-51

Edited by mgaylor, 05 October 2012 - 05:19 PM.

• 0 Likes

Vaelaar

Vaelaar

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:19 PM #103

I'm having the same issue as TheNautican -- hangs at the restart after downloading the second (much larger) CG66 package. I'm using the CD with the image burned to it and USB debugging is on. I tried both PC Mode and Charging Only, toggled USB Debugging mode off and on, and did the recommended battery pull but it's still hanging at that "Waiting for phone..." prompt after it reboots. It reboots back into the bootloader fine, but it just sits there waiting for the phone until it hits the timeout.

Any suggestions?
  • 0 Likes

themib

themib

AKA sd_shadow

• 550 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:26 PM #104

it only boots to bootloader once
should be
os, bootloader, os, os, recovery
, done
rooted os

edit: if it rebooting to bootloader a 2nd time
pull usb, pull battery, put battery back, reboot, wait for android os to finish, reconnect usb

Sent from my MB870 using RootzWiki

Edited by themib, 17 October 2012 - 06:29 PM.

• 0 Likes

[ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click .apk to root
I have verified it works with these Motorola devices running android 2.3.4
Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)

sd_shadow's (themib) [Collection] of Links: FAQs, Guides, Rooting, SBFs, ROMs... - sites.google

Vaelaar

Vaelaar

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:30 AM #105

I figured out my end of things -- when the program forced the reboot after uploading the CG66 package, it rebooted right back into the bootloader and just hung there waiting for the device. The program, however, was expecting it (I assume) to reboot into a regular startup/lockscreen/homescreen. I pulled the USB cable from the phone, rebooted to my unlock screen using the power button, plugged the cable back in and got the prompt on my PC that it was rebooting again. Repeated those steps again to reboot one more time (since you need to do it twice) into the unlock screen and put the USB cable back in and it completed.

Removed the cable when everything was done, held power to turn off the phone, turned it back on with home held down to clear cache, restarted and I was good to go.

Thanks for all of your work on this!

Edit: Just to clear this up in case it was confusing... something either in the code or the simple fact that I had my USB cable plugged in was causing my Droid to reboot into the bootloader screen when this process needs it to boot normally into the phone. Just unplug the cable from the phone end, hold and release the power button to power off the phone from the bootloader, and then hold and release the phone to start it up normally. Once it hits your unlock screen (you can unlock it if you feel better about that) just plug the USB cable back in and the program on your PC will reboot the phone. In my case, it went right back into the bootloader again (but completed one of the two required reboots) so I just repeated everything I just said a second time and after that it finished up and returned me to the device menu in the program on my PC.

Edited by Vaelaar, 18 October 2012 - 10:23 AM.

• 0 Likes

Vaelaar

Vaelaar

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:21 AM #106

it only boots to bootloader once
should be
os, bootloader, os, os, recovery
, done
rooted os

edit: if it rebooting to bootloader a 2nd time
pull usb, pull battery, put battery back, reboot, wait for android os to finish, reconnect usb

Yeah, was weird for me because it was more like: OS, Bootloader, Bootloader with my manual restart to OS, Bootloader again with my manual restart to OS, Recovery.

Got it though -- thanks again for the work you've put into this!
  • 0 Likes

baretoes

baretoes

Android Beginner

• 10 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:26 PM #107

I get to the part where it says, "if there were no errors, you should now be rooted". Unfortunately, I got "error: device not recognized".

I go ahead and wipe cache n recovery just to see what happens, but i'm still not rooted.

I've tried both "charging" and "pc mode".

Any suggestions?
  • 0 Likes

themib

themib

AKA sd_shadow

• 550 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:49 PM #108

are you sure you phone is not rooted?
did phone reboot twice right after flashing in bootloader?

• 0 Likes

sd_shadow's (themib) [Collection] of Links: FAQs, Guides, Rooting, SBFs, ROMs... - sites.google

baretoes

baretoes

Android Beginner

• 10 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:19 PM #109

I'm used to seeing the superuser icon in the app drawer.

But to your point, I downloaded Root Checker, and it seems I do not have root access.

Yes, it did reboot twice just after flashing file in bootloader.

Edited by baretoes, 28 October 2012 - 04:21 PM.

• 0 Likes

themib

themib

AKA sd_shadow

• 550 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:27 PM #110

system version is 4.5.621
stock Motorola usb data cable
different usb port, or even pc
compare original iso file's checksum with md5 checker
try cd instead of USB drive

Edited by themib, 28 October 2012 - 04:43 PM.

• 0 Likes