3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

15 votes

[ROM GUIDE] How to install Android 2.3-4.3 on the HP TouchPad "The Easy Way"

• Please log in to reply

clhdpgh

clhdpgh

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:12 PM #3091

Are you aware that JC Sullins put out some test wifi drivers to hopefully help alleviate your issue? Someone mentioned in one of these threads they tried them and it seemed to help.

Yes I have installed them and they did not help. I am still unable to connect to my or any other network. The WIfi panel hust show "turning Wifi on... " and never changes.
  • 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,714 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:49 PM #3092

Yes I have installed them and they did not help. I am still unable to connect to my or any other network. The WIfi panel hust show "turning Wifi on... " and never changes.

Sorry to hear that. "AGeekswife1992" reported that it helped her some. Not knowing all that you have tried, I would revert back to CM9, which is the most mature and one could call most stable version of CM. Don't use the latest version. 7/14 as that has been having some issues. I would say try either the 4/21 or 5/12 Rom and the 4/29 gapps for ICS. I don't get why all of a sudden certain folks have started having WiFi issues like yours after all this time of stable WiFi drivers and it works fine in WebOS. Very early on WiFi was an issue for me, but that just had to do with the lack of maturity and development of the drivers.

I would run ACMEUninstaller and then from WebOS, from settings/device info run the full secure erase and erase the USB drive. After getting WebOS set up again, have a look at the USB drive/SD card with Windows Explorer and if you see anything remotely Android delete it. I am not aware of anything stored on the SD card that is essential to the running of WebOS or Android. In fact, I would run the USB drive erase first, look at what's left and delete anything that looks Android. There should not be much left except what WebOS thinks needs to be there. In a case like yours, I would manually delete everything and then run the full secure erase. After setting up WebOS, go back and see what if anything that got put back on the USB drive.

Once you get all that successfully done, create the cminstall folder and put moboot 0.3.5, and cwm6 dated 12/15 in it. Put the CM9 zip and the Gapps zip in another folder or on the SD card root, your choice. Run ACMEInstaller3 to install moboot and cwm. Once that is done, use cwm to install CM9 and reboot. Set it up, get your WiFi configured and browse the net. Set up the email app and play with that. None of that requires Gapps. Do this for 24 hours, recharge when necessary. After 24 hours and no Wifi issues, now install the 0429 gapps and let's see what happens. Good luck!

Edited by nevertells, 21 July 2013 - 04:52 PM.

• 2 Likes

jcsullins

jcsullins

Developer

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:29 PM #3093

I'm back with some NEW WIFI DRIVERS TO TEST:

The version I uploaded last week had the following issues that I hope are now fixed:

- A deadlock bug with caused SODs (sleeps of death).

- Setting "Keep Wif on during sleep" to "always" would not keep the wifi connected during sleep.

I've also enabled "firmware crash recovery" which might help those very rare people seeing wifi firmware crashes.

Install with recovery: http://goo.im/devs/j...130721-test.zip

Note that the above should only be installed on my latest CM10 or latest CM9. For others (i.e. CM10.1), the following
source is available for building a compatible set of modules: https://github.com/j...ackports-3.10-2
  • 3 Likes

OP RolandDeschain79

RolandDeschain79

Android Adventurer

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:36 PM #3094

The version I uploaded last week had the following issues that I hope are now fixed:

- Setting "Keep Wif on during sleep" to "always" would not keep the wifi connected during sleep.

I've also enabled "firmware crash recovery" which might help those very rare people seeing wifi firmware crashes.

Note that the above should only be installed on my latest CM10 or latest CM9. For others (i.e. CM10.1), the following
source is available for building a compatible set of modules: https://github.com/j...ackports-3.10-2

Fantastic fast work, thank you! Time to do a little more testing and give a little feedback :tongue2:

Happy Flashing

Looking at you clhdpgh, try this out and see if it solves your problem.. Keep us posted :tongue2:
  • 0 Likes

darkassain

darkassain

• 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:41 AM #3095

as i was just about to post some klogs seems like you squished the predominant sod bug already
and i must say this is working incredibly well, made me completely wipe (and update to webos3.05 in the process) from the old feb cm10 build to this one

one quick note, up until recently on the feb build i had mostly everything working, and then the touchscreen started getting all wonky when it was woken up , eventually to the point where as swipe was looked as multiple points instead of a line which made something as simple as a pattern password almost impossible, with a reboot solving it until the TouchPad went to sleep...

from what i saw, webos exhibited similar things, which from what i saw was solved by force updating the touch firmware

Edited by darkassain, 22 July 2013 - 12:43 AM.

• 0 Likes

Geekswife1992

Geekswife1992

Android Apprentice

• 193 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:15 AM #3096

jcsullins, I used the 7-16 wifi driver and it did improve the wifi situation for me, but I did have several SOD episodes. The 7-21 driver doesn't seem to be working as well for me with the wifi issue. I have tried several reboots and cache wipes, but can't get the wifi to turn on. :( I may be in the same boat as clhdpgh.

I was wondering if by any chance the A6 firmware update used to help battery drainage issues might be a contributor to this issue with wifi. I did that update twice because I didn't notice a big difference like everyone else was reporting the first time. (in fact I never really did see much of a difference after a few days) The first time I believe I used the PC method and the second I believe went through preware in webOS. I have not run it again because I never really had much of a complaint with the battery life for my usage.

Just for kicks I might try to do the A6 firmware update again and see if that makes any difference. And if not I'll be wiping the whole thing and starting over. What I use my TP for needs internet access so it is nearly a brick for me without wifi.

Thanks again for working so hard on this issue.
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image Posted Image

jcsullins

jcsullins

Developer

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:39 AM #3097

jcsullins, I used the 7-16 wifi driver and it did improve the wifi situation for me, but I did have several SOD episodes. The 7-21 driver doesn't seem to be working as well for me with the wifi issue. I have tried several reboots and cache wipes, but can't get the wifi to turn on. :( I may be in the same boat as clhdpgh.

I was wondering if by any chance the A6 firmware update used to help battery drainage issues might be a contributor to this issue with wifi. I did that update twice because I didn't notice a big difference like everyone else was reporting the first time. (in fact I never really did see much of a difference after a few days) The first time I believe I used the PC method and the second I believe went through preware in webOS. I have not run it again because I never really had much of a complaint with the battery life for my usage.

Just for kicks I might try to do the A6 firmware update again and see if that makes any difference. And if not I'll be wiping the whole thing and starting over. What I use my TP for needs internet access so it is nearly a brick for me without wifi.

Thanks again for working so hard on this issue.

Output from 'dmesg' might help me see what's happening. Running it after only being up (the TP booted) for a short time where you can see the problem would be best.
  • 0 Likes

Geekswife1992

Geekswife1992

Android Apprentice

• 193 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:39 AM #3098

Output from 'dmesg' might help me see what's happening. Running it after only being up (the TP booted) for a short time where you can see the problem would be best.

Here is the link to the log file you asked for. I will wait a few hours before I wipe my TP.

https://dl.dropboxus.../dmesg 7_21.log

Cheers
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image Posted Image

jcsullins

jcsullins

Developer

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:30 AM #3099

Here is the link to the log file you asked for. I will wait a few hours before I wipe my TP.

https://dl.dropboxus.../dmesg 7_21.log

Cheers

Try this: http://goo.im/devs/j...130722-test.zip

I realize now (at least partly) why the restart didn't work, but the fix isn't exactly trivial.
So, I've rebuilt without the restart enabled. See how it works for you.
  • 1 Likes

clhdpgh

clhdpgh

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:52 AM #3100

Fantastic fast work, thank you! Time to do a little more testing and give a little feedback :tongue2:

Happy Flashing
http://youtu.be/jExa48SoWb4

Looking at you clhdpgh, try this out and see if it solves your problem.. Keep us posted :tongue2:

ACMEUninstalled the non working CM10.1 ROM from 7/20
Booted into WebOS and deleted .android secure use Web Internalz
ACMEInstalled moboot 0.3.5 and CMW6
Used CWM6 to install CM10 from 4/18
Booted to CM to check for WIfi / "Turning Wi-Fi on" shows up and no signals displayed
Reboot into CWM to install new drivers
Rebooted to CM10 and :( no change
Rebooted to CWM and flushed cache and Dalvic, reinstalled new drivers and rebooted to CM10
Unfortunately again no Wi-Fi radio.
Stuck at "Turning Wi-Fi on..."

Edit: As I posted the above I saw the latest 20130722 drivers you posted above. I also tried flashing those bot got no better results.

Edited by clhdpgh, 22 July 2013 - 08:58 AM.

• 0 Likes