15 votes

[ROM GUIDE] How to install Android 2.3-4.3 on the HP TouchPad "The Easy Way"

• Please log in to reply

deymious

deymious

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:26 PM #1331

You can install just the most recent nightly cm10-20121216 build and then once that is running add gapps for JB which actually should be the 20121011 version according to JCSullins developer of the EXPERIMENTAL nightly you are using. They can be installed with TWRP or CWM recovery. If you install the gapps with the build by using ACMEInsaller3 then add "Update-" to the file name without the quotes of course in the cminstall folder. If you made your nandroid with CWM then use that to flash gapps. All should work as per spec then. There is a thread that explains ACMEInstaller3 but you use it the same as AXMEInstaller2. Hope this helps.

Hey Trekrev, first thank you so much for all of the help! I installed everything like you said but I am still having some trouble with the following: (I added the Gapps market and flashed the newest build)

1) My camera works but I still can't use video. Any ideas on how to fix this?

2) For some reason, I can't install Amazon marketplace from google play because it says it won't work on my device, anyone know how to get around it (I ask because I have a ton of important apps on it)

3) I still can't connect my TP to my comp through usb, have to go in through webOS. Again I clicked the MTP box yes. Anyone have any experience on what else it could be (its not the cable since it works in WebOS).

4) it takes much longer to boot into WebOS now than it did before. It really stops at the loading screen (with all the blue webOS letters) whereas before it would breeze through. any idea why this happens?

5) Since the microphone works now, does the skype app work and can we make calls with the TP over wifi?

6) Is Dolphin the best browser to be able to use flash for websites?

Thanks all for the help!
  • 0 Likes

sstar

sstar

Android Lover

• 111 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:27 AM #1332

Hey Trekrev, first thank you so much for all of the help! I installed everything like you said but I am still having some trouble with the following: (I added the Gapps market and flashed the newest build)

1) My camera works but I still can't use video. Any ideas on how to fix this?

2) For some reason, I can't install Amazon marketplace from google play because it says it won't work on my device, anyone know how to get around it (I ask because I have a ton of important apps on it)

3) I still can't connect my TP to my comp through usb, have to go in through webOS. Again I clicked the MTP box yes. Anyone have any experience on what else it could be (its not the cable since it works in WebOS).

4) it takes much longer to boot into WebOS now than it did before. It really stops at the loading screen (with all the blue webOS letters) whereas before it would breeze through. any idea why this happens?

5) Since the microphone works now, does the skype app work and can we make calls with the TP over wifi?

6) Is Dolphin the best browser to be able to use flash for websites?

Thanks all for the help!

You say you flashed the LATEST gapps , does that mean you ignored the advice you quoted to use 20121011 Or not.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

deymious

deymious

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:41 AM #1333

You say you flashed the LATEST gapps , does that mean you ignored the advice you quoted to use 20121011 Or not.

I am sorry if thats what I did, as you can tell this is the 2nd time I've tried upgrading my TP and I am pretty new to these things. I used the following Gapps package:

Rolands Lite V3 JB-4.2-Gapps-Extras-signed.zip

This is the wrong one? I couldn't find the one you were talking about on the front page. Can you tell me where I could find it? Thank you for all the help.
  • 0 Likes

sstar

sstar

Android Lover

• 111 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:51 AM #1334

I am sorry if thats what I did, as you can tell this is the 2nd time I've tried upgrading my TP and I am pretty new to these things. I used the following Gapps package:

Rolands Lite V3 JB-4.2-Gapps-Extras-signed.zip

This is the wrong one? I couldn't find the one you were talking about on the front page. Can you tell me where I could find it? Thank you for all the help.

No problem this is what you need http://goo.im/gapps/...1011-signed.zip
There are quite a lot of links .

• 1 Likes

Colchiro

Colchiro

Android Lover

• 883 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:15 AM #1335

The reason you need install using acme3 is to repair your file system and resize your system partition. You should install the Freespace app and check the size of your system partition. Too small and not everything (like gApps) would get installed.
  • 0 Likes

deymious

deymious

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:44 AM #1336

No problem this is what you need http://goo.im/gapps/...1011-signed.zip
There are quite a lot of links .

Thanks a lot! Do I just flash this using TWRP on top of my other gApps ? Or do I have to do it differently and uninstall the previous one somehow?
  • 0 Likes

auhuynh

auhuynh

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:38 AM #1337

Dear Team,
Thanks for your hard working. I just spent few days to try the new ROM of CM10 and have some issue to report.

First, could you please fix the link in page 1 because it guides user to the Rom 12/12/11, not 12/12/16.

I can say that the new Rom of CM10 is more stable than CM9. With CM9, I have a lot of issues, such as try to adjust the sleeping time, try to change grid size and the number of homescreen... but it's not effect. (I used the Rom CM9 update 2012/07/07). Those problem don't have in CM10. So I am happy with the new one.

Some issues I have in CM10:
- I use the security face unlock function. when I put the TP horizontal, it is normal, but when I change to vertical, the camera is up-side-down. But the camera still normal in Camera apps or others, with mean that no error within setup progress.
- The camera can not use with apps type bar code scanner. I've try many apps.
- It's seem that the keyboard in CM10 is missing the Alt or Ctrl button, because we can see the watermark symbol, but we can not use this. When we press Shift, it's for capital, and we press 123, it's for new keyboard with have number and symbol.

Thanks

Edited by auhuynh, 26 December 2012 - 10:39 AM.

• 1 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,698 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:21 AM #1338

EDIT: Well I had to uninstall and do the step again, but this time just install CM10. Now everything works, still slight jittery here and there but works great.
Another question I have is if you uninstall, isn't everything supposed to be deleted from the file system? When I straight reinstalled CM10, all the previous files from filesystem were there. I did have to wipe the stuff manually. Not sure why that is.

When you say file system, I'm guessing you mean the SD card. The answer is no, the uninstaller does not touch the SD card. There is a function under settings/storage to erase the SD card, however, have never tried it and can't vouch how well it works. It can also be done from WebOS through settings/device info/reset options/ erase USB drive. That's WebOS speak for SD card.

Edited by nevertells, 26 December 2012 - 11:23 AM.

• 0 Likes

nevertells

nevertells

Android Guru

• 4,698 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:31 AM #1339

Dear Team,
Thanks for your hard working. I just spent few days to try the new ROM of CM10 and have some issue to report.

First, could you please fix the link in page 1 because it guides user to the Rom 12/12/11, not 12/12/16.

I can say that the new Rom of CM10 is more stable than CM9. With CM9, I have a lot of issues, such as try to adjust the sleeping time, try to change grid size and the number of homescreen... but it's not effect. (I used the Rom CM9 update 2012/07/07). Those problem don't have in CM10. So I am happy with the new one.

Some issues I have in CM10:
- I use the security face unlock function. when I put the TP horizontal, it is normal, but when I change to vertical, the camera is up-side-down. But the camera still normal in Camera apps or others, with mean that no error within setup progress.
- The camera can not use with apps type bar code scanner. I've try many apps.
- It's seem that the keyboard in CM10 is missing the Alt or Ctrl button, because we can see the watermark symbol, but we can not use this. When we press Shift, it's for capital, and we press 123, it's for new keyboard with have number and symbol.

Thanks

CM10 is still highly experimental my friend. The fact that certain functions like face lock, and bar code scanner don't work is to be expected. The camera implementation is as well highly experimental. It works well with the stock camera launcher or the camera launcher for Nexus 7 which one can download from the Play Store. Ucam also works except for video recording crashes it. A lot of other apps that use the camera may work weird or not at all.

If you want things like CTRL and ALT, you need to install Hacker's Keyboard. It has all the same keys as a PC keyboard.

Edited by nevertells, 26 December 2012 - 12:00 PM.

• 1 Likes

Gradular

Gradular

Android Master

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:57 AM #1340

For those that might be interested.
http://rootzwiki.com...atever-you-want

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using RootzWiki
  • 2 Likes

Motorola I1, Samsung Transform Ultra(rooted) running 2.3.6 via ff27 forcedROM
Touchpad running cm7 a3.5, cm9 a0, cm9 a0.5, cm9 a0.6 nightly, cm9 a1.0, cm9 a2.0, cm9 nightlies, cm 9 weeklies, cm 10 previews cm10.1 Milaq, cm10.2 Milaq cm11 by invisblek
Samsung Galaxy tab running cm10, cm10.1 experimental, cm10.1 nightlies, cody's cm10.2, cm10.2 nightlies  cm11 by codyf86

All the TouchPad PC files in a few simple clicks. How to change your data, system, and cache sizes