* * * * -
1 votes

The State of ICS/JB on D2/DX/D2G/DPro

• Please log in to reply

OP bikedude880

bikedude880

You can haz Developer Status

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:46 AM #1

I can't speak for Jonman, Desterly, or x13thangelx, but it's come to my attention that overall development on these phones has slowed down significantly. While it would be possible to port over changes from the Defy team and get started on JB (it /is/ started), the ratio of developers to phones to ROMs has become overwhelming. The past two weeks has shown a dramatic drop-off in commits for CM9 (read none for 1.5 weeks) and a fairly high stability in the system itself. Where we are now is so far past what many people thought.

Personally, I'd like to see CM9 get a fully working camera, not have bugs in GSM modes, and ultimately just work. Working on CM10 would detract from that focus and we'd have yet another partially working system. Remember what happened to CM7? It died shortly after ICS code was released and if I recall correctly, was never touched again.

So ultimately, this is myself saying that the end of the road is near. The current developers who have these phones are coming up to the end of their contracts with VZW, have another platform they're working on, or are so overwhelmed with maintaining current ROMs that progress has nearly stopped.

From here on out, I'll primarily be working on porting over CM10 and touching up CM9... I don't expect much to come of it.

Thank you all for helping keep these phones alive long after Motorola abandoned them. Cheers.
  • 20 Likes
Click 'Like' or Donate if you've enjoyed my work and snarky sense of humor.

Droid2 Global: Running Android the way it was meant to, free from the bonds of Motorola software.

Got a problem with my responses? Read this: http://www.catb.org/...ions.html#intro

ExodusC

ExodusC

Android Apprentice

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:14 AM #2

Thanks again to all the developers who made ICS possible on our phones! The difference between stock GB/CM7 and the unofficial CM9 builds you guys have made possible is just huge. You guys took our phones with the frustrating Motorola stock ROM and got true AOSP-based builds on them.

You are completely right, though. An (almost) fully functional ICS build is more important than a broken JB build.

ICS's user experience was a huge jump over GB in my opinion, and while JB improves on this, I think ICS is good enough for a phone that Motorola abandoned at GB.

Even though I have a Galaxy S3 now, I just flashed the latest ICS build as of a few nights ago onto my D2G, and I saw that HWA appeared to be even more functional than it had previously, which is amazing. I never thought we'd see it.

Thanks again, everyone.
  • 3 Likes

x13thangelx

x13thangelx

Developer

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:20 AM #3

FWIW, I'm in complete agreement with BD.

Eventually I'll end up updating everything to "current" with hwa changes etc but that will probably be about it...
  • 7 Likes
Unofficial CM9 builds for: DX, D2, D2G

clouse2013

clouse2013

Android Apprentice

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:08 AM #4

Just want to say thanks to all these developers as well. This is my first android phone and I will never go back to anything else. This was made possible by the great developer community we have on these phones. Hope to see some more things touched up if possible (my contract doesn't end for another two months) and possibly JB. But all the work done so far is amazing.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using RootzWiki
  • 2 Likes
Droid Razr HD on Vitreous
Asus TF101 on latest EOS4 build

Gasai Yuno

Gasai Yuno

ヤンデレ

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:10 PM #5

Personally, I'd like to see CM9 get a fully working camera, not have bugs in GSM modes, and ultimately just work.

Alas, the GSM part is tricky as hell. Though there's a bit of a progress, I admit. The whole “learn the framework from the very bottom of the things, and then rewrite it to accommodate proper Global support” is really overwhelming.
  • 4 Likes
▣Sony LT25i “Tsubasa”, Android 4.1.2 “Jelly Bean” with Xperia™ extensions
├── Stock ── Rooted ── Locked bootloader
├── Maximum speed witnessed over LTE: 98.2 Mbps
└── Average speed over LTE: 88.7 Mbps

Imacellist

Imacellist

Noob Developer

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:48 PM #6

Not gonna lie I was hoping this day would not come so soon, but I can't say I blame you guys. Thank you so much for all the work you have done. My phone has been actually usable since you guys have been working on it. I am trying to learn how to develop, and I am eventually planning on looking into jelly bean for the DX, but I don't expect much to come out of it. Hopefully I'll have the pleasure of having my new phone (whatever and whenever that is) be developed by you guys. Cheers!
  • 3 Likes
If I helped, let me know by clicking the like button
All you need to know about Droid X http://rootzwiki.com...ut-the-droid-x/

Posted Image
http:www.circuitsaviors.com

supercutetom

supercutetom

That guy who's not sexy but thinks he is.

• 120 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:10 PM #7

What you current devs and devs from the past have brought to our phones is more than any of us had probably dreamed of looking forward to when we first bought our D2's. One can only hope that the next phones we purchase, or already own, will have devs as devoted as you all.

Thanks again for all you guys have done without asking for anything in return.
  • 3 Likes

Crocadile

Crocadile

Unreal Android

• 114 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:29 PM #8

I'm sad to see this post, but I agree with it completely. I suppose it was inevitable. I'm still enjoyed the Droid 2 Global though, and I'm gonna stick it out as long as it keeps running and can hold a charge.

My thanks to all the devs, especially 13thangel and bikedude.
  • 2 Likes

chiruscan

chiruscan

Super User

• 337 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:53 PM #9

Thanks to all the developers for making me enjoy my phone even more than I would have: 13thangel, bikedude, BMcgt, Jonman, Firstencounter, Beans, and everyone else. It sucks that Verizon/Motorola cant continue to support a phone that they contract out to people for 2 years, but thanks to you guys you made it worth it.

This is my first Android phone and I think the work you guys have done shows just how powerful the Android OS is as a developing platform when you can take a 2 year old phone and make it do things that even brand new phones cant. I read in another thread someone ported ICS to the OG droid which to me is amazing.

Still crossing my fingers out for a working port of JB though :P

Edited by chiruscan, 02 August 2012 - 02:12 PM.

• 2 Likes
Droid X 4 Lyfe

supergear

supergear

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:50 PM #10

Sad day indeed. :( Hopefully the good devs will port cm10/JB before they quit the D2/D2G all together

Edited by supergear, 01 August 2012 - 09:51 PM.

• 2 Likes
Current phone:Posted Image

Past Phones: Samsung Galaxy Stellar, Motorola Droid 2, HTC Evo Shift 4G, Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, T-Mobile G2 by HTC, Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant, HTC HD2