- - - - -

Very slow Nexus 7

• Please log in to reply

OP Bschrib

Bschrib

Android Apprentice

• 53 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:49 PM #1

I'm on my second Nexus 7 and I was hoping that my first one was just bad or something. But after having had my new one for three days now everything is starting to slow to a crawl. I mean like if I flash a new ROM I can literally wait 5 minutes for it to go to the next screen after signing into my Google Account and telling it to allow location services..

The first thing I generally do after I get up and running on a new ROM is to load Titanium Backup -- The restore process while not quick never took this long (even two days ago on this unit). I just did a restore.. It started an HOUR ago and I'm only up to 43/111 apps restored.

This is in addition to the other issues like Chrome consistently freezing to the point that the power button doesn't work (and you have to wait for the system to come back to life.. by offering to close Chrome).

Has anyone else encountered these issues? Were you able to resolve it?

I'm about to throw this thing through the window.

-edit-
I have the 16GB unit, currently with Trinity's alpha 22 and winner00's CM10 Kang (7/31) with recommended gapps.

Edited by Bschrib, 31 July 2012 - 08:11 PM.

• 0 Likes

NatemZ

NatemZ

Kitten Punter

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:56 PM #2

So you have had 2 with this behavior? What about full stock? Is it laggy out of the box?
  • 0 Likes

OP Bschrib

Bschrib

Android Apprentice

• 53 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:02 PM #3

So you have had 2 with this behavior? What about full stock? Is it laggy out of the box?

it's weird -- full stock and out of the box it ran fine for a few days. Then it would slow down to this incredible crawl where I was getting lots of slow-downs and freezes in all my apps. I can try going back to stock but I'm not certain it'll change it (although it truly cant hurt at this point).

I've just loaded up a fresh run of winner00's CM10 Kang (7/31) with his recommended gapps and it's still awful. Getting lag during the setup wizard is just not a good feeling.

Edited by Bschrib, 31 July 2012 - 08:12 PM.

• 0 Likes

gambit07

gambit07

• 51 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:27 PM #4

Pretty sure you're doing something wrong. In an attempt to be constructive, I will tell you that before you flash a new rom make sure you format Data, Cache and System. I had an issue with everything being slowish on the stock rom after I loaded a ton of apps, mostly games (>500mb remaining space). Had to wait until Paranoid came out, then I loaded that with the Trinity kernel now and have had no issues with the same amount of stuff. I'm running Winner's build on my Gnex and that has been running great as well, don't think it's an issue with the rom.
  • 0 Likes

OP Bschrib

Bschrib

Android Apprentice

• 53 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:50 AM #5

Pretty sure you're doing something wrong. In an attempt to be constructive, I will tell you that before you flash a new rom make sure you format Data, Cache and System. I had an issue with everything being slowish on the stock rom after I loaded a ton of apps, mostly games (>500mb remaining space). Had to wait until Paranoid came out, then I loaded that with the Trinity kernel now and have had no issues with the same amount of stuff. I'm running Winner's build on my Gnex and that has been running great as well, don't think it's an issue with the rom.

While I appreciate the helpful insight, I've been flashing ROMs since the days of the original Droid. I always wipe data/cache/dalvik/system before I flash a new ROM. I don't think it's an issue with the ROM either, it feels like it's I/O related. Anytime the system has to fetch any data it just slows to a crawl.

Really wish I could pin it down. I'll try removing some apps and see if that helps to resolve it, but I doubt it's space-related, as I've still got about 2.5GB free.
  • 0 Likes

OP Bschrib

Bschrib

Android Apprentice

• 53 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:38 AM #6

Going to upload a video later this morning..I don't think I can adequately express just how slow it is (I gave up checking email from it and an using my phone for morning news).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

Justigar

Justigar

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:41 AM #7

I thought it was just me....mine has been doing the exact same (also 16gb) and has on both stock, custom ROM and kernels.

I find that Chrome, FB, Pulse, Flipboard will occasionally just grind to a halt and then just spring back into life. I also notice this occasionally with the keyboard freezing and then jumping forward. Games tend to also have the occasional stammer.

When powering the unit on it also takes an extortionate amount of time for all my widgets to load up (1-2 min) whereas my Gnex does it in about 15 secs for the same widgets.

I've used faux kernel, trinity and Motley along with stock.
ROM wise I've had stock, BAMF, AOSP and Glazed. No matter what combo the same thing happens.

While I've not exchanged this unit yet (in the uk - physical stores are totally out of stock) if I can't resolve it I may end up just returning it and waiting for a bit for some new stock to filter through.

Edited by Justigar, 01 August 2012 - 06:11 AM.

• 0 Likes

OP Bschrib

Bschrib

Android Apprentice

• 53 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:29 AM #8

Uploading some videos now (at work, may take a bit). But yeah that's exactly it. I actually uninstalled Flipboard altogether because it was guaranteed to hang. I thought maybe it was running in the background and somehow grinding the device to a halt but that never resolved it.

I've tried Faux, Trinity and Motley as well, along with stock kernel and none of those changed anything.
ROM's I've gone through are EuroSkank's CM10, Winner00's, AOKP Alpha 3.. Nothing.

I've tried loading different gapps and still get the same slowness. I think what really kills me is that it's immediate upon booting up that it's slow. It takes I kid you not 5 minutes just to get through the setup wizard. Sometimes the first screen I see after loading a ROM (and yes, I wiped everything) is that the Setup Wizard is not responding..

It's just frustrating because for the first few days my second unit was literally like a new tablet compared to my first (which had the slow down issues that I have now, along with screen jitter, horizontal lines and screen lift). But now it's probably worse speed-wise. The only thing I can think is that somehow the partition is screwed up? I see that TWRP (and I think CWM) are running rm commands instead of formatting. Is there someway to format the partition's?

I'm just worried if I wait to long since I bought this through the Play Store that they won't honor my warranty since there is nothing physically obviously defective with this..
  • 0 Likes

Mustang302LX

Mustang302LX

Android Guru

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:43 AM #9

Damn this is a weird issue. I had mine on CM10 and had it unplugged/using it for 3+ days bringing battery down to 25% or so and the thing was running fast as all hell the entire time. I'm wondering if there is an app doing something that is hogging the resources making your lag happen.
  • 0 Likes

nhat

nhat

Android Master

• 820 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:44 AM #10

Flash back to stock following these steps to format everything: http://rootzwiki.com...ck/#entry764332
  • 1 Likes