Android OS Forum banner

[kernel][TW][ML1 v4.0, 1/11/14] Leankernel: Minimalistic Kernel

437K views 2K replies 468 participants last post by  SlimSnoopOS 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is a Touchwiz kernel. Use this thread to report bugs, etc.

DOWNLOADFEATURES
  • Unnecessary components removed for lean and fast kernel.
  • Two new sleep states: Retention and Standalone Power Collapse
  • Compiled using latest Linaro compiler with additional optimizations.
  • Latest Linux updates applied.
  • Ramdisk optimizations.
  • OC'ed to 1.9Ghz (limited to 1.51Ghz at boot, use an app to change max freq), and all frequencies undervolted
  • ROW v4 I/O scheduler default
  • Fast Charge (toggle via the "ffc" script - open terminal, type ffc then enter, plug in phone via USB)
  • On-demand governor backported from Linux 3.5
  • InteractiveX V3 - optimized for S3, screen_off_maxfreq sysfs interface (default set to 810Mhz). (Note: I didn't change the name to interactivex in the kernel this time)
  • Fixed governor switching bug where switching from ondemand to another governor could keep cpu1 offline until you switch back.
  • Power efficiency fixes - wakelock tweaks, gsiff_daemon workaround, etc.
  • Modified thermal control to play nicely with OC.
  • Fixed governor transition latency.
  • Custom voltage control via sysfs (recommend using setcpu, voltage control, or system tuner)
  • lkflash script to flash latest kernel versions
  • lkconfig script to configure leanKernel specific features
  • Faux sound control support
  • Adjustable display color temp
leanKernel scripts - some not available starting v4.0
lkflash (flash latest leanKernel versions from your phone - must su first)

root@android:/ # lkflash

leanKernel flasher
------------------
1) latest stable (recommended)
2) latest experimental
3) check/display versions

FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK. I'm not responsible for my mistakes or yours. ;)

Please enter a number between 1 and 3 (or press enter to exit): 3
Please wait...

>>> Current version: 1.0, Latest stable: 1.0, Exp: 1.0exp1
lkconfig (configure leankernel specific settings which will persist between reboots - must su first)
root@android:/ # lkconfig

leanKernel configurator

---
1) interactiveX: set screen-off max freq to 1.1Ghz.
2) interactiveX: set screen-off max freq to 810Mhz (leanKernel default).
3) Stop thermald (for running benchmarks).
4) Set display color temp to cold.
5) Set display color temp to normal.
6) Set display color temp to warm.

Please enter a number between 1 and 6 (or press enter to exit): 6
Color temp is set to Warm - turn display off/on to take effect.
ffc (force fast charge toggler)
root@android:/ # ffc
Fast USB Charge: ON
root@android:/ # ffc
Fast USB Charge: OFF
CHANGELOG (JB)

SOURCE
https://github.com/i...eanKernel-d2vzw

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
How do I use USB Fast Charge?
  • 1) Unplug from USB cable.
  • 2) Open Terminal Emulator, type "ffc" (without quotes) and enter. This command will toggle your fast charge state.
  • 3) Plug it back in.
  • Note: running the same command again will disable fast charge.
  • Also, when fast charge is enabled USB communication will be disabled.
Why does my top speed become 1.9Ghz even though I never set it higher than 1.5Ghz?
Your ROM's thermal control will automatically set your max speed to top kernel speed, *after* it's been tripped once due to high cpu temperature. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot I can do to fix that in the kernel. Ask your ROM dev to see if they can fix /system/bin/thermald. Read this post. UPDATE: v0.5 (and higher) kernel has a workaround to fix this issue.

Are you having intermittent weirdness and suspect issues with cpu voltage? If so read this post:
http://rootzwiki.com...010#entry953903
TLDR; In order to allow custom user undervolting, my kernels bypass stock samsung kernel's code subroutine that overrides your minimum voltage to 1150mV. Your phone's CPU may be one of the few that needs the extra juice for stability; if so, increase minimum voltage up to 1150mV.

What is the kernel default voltages?
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/31329-kerneltouchwiz-leankernel-minimalistic-kernel-ics-v13-jb-v121-121612/page__st__1410#entry1042976

#21 ·
v11.1[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)] (0a169bbc58f7f5b14315f6e2dad47226) - leaner kernel, ondemand governor backported from Linux 3.5, latest interactive governor (not recommended yet)[/background]

I don't recommend using interactive quite yet. I need to mess with it a bit first. At first glance it doesn't seem to offline CPUs at all.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
How does this latest kernel do on battery life? Right now I quadrant 5500 on stock kernel with 20 hours of battery under normal/lite use. I really really want fast charge so this looks enticing. I flashed the touch wiz test 9-6 the other night and it obliterated my battery life but was faster than hell. I know you are the master of lean kernels as I have exclusively used you on the droid charge, galaxy nexus, and now the sgs3. Holla back yo

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
11.1 kernel is legit!!!!
Screenshot at 1.8ghz on demand SIO
Sent from my SCH-I535 using RootzWiki
what app did you use to oc?

#36 ·
thanks i'm probably going to wind up using that, i coulda sworn i read someone said imoseyon recommended something else though

#41 ·
Used the 6.0.1.0 cwm available in ez-recovery along with the 11.1 kernel, and I'm glad to say that kexec is working properly. Also, I haven't retried SetCPU, since last time I used it, my OC would revert to 1.9GHz after intensive use. For now I continue to enjoy success with System Tuner.

#42 ·
Ah yes System Tuner is what I was thinking of, it was your post I read.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.pmw&hl=en
is that the correct copy of it?

I'm using SetCPU right now and it APPEARS to be working great but I'd like to have more options on the table just in case.
The kernel is amazing so far though! :D

#51 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm using the recovery in the original post actually been on that one since I installed cm10. That recovery works great
Kernel is awesome what a difference. Thanks Imo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
I can second that. All other recoveries gave me issues but that recovery has been working on CM10 and just about everything else. (Thought I did have to load an external SD for it to work...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.