Rate this Topic

- - - - -

getting fastboot to work.

• Please log in to reply

OP awtenterprise

awtenterprise

• 63 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:07 AM #1

Here is the intro on my seup and problem.

New install of Ubuntu 12.04, android sdk installed.

From the root directory in terminal I can use adb and it works good.
For example, I can use {adb devices} or any other various commands and adb works.

When I use {fastboot devices} I get "fastboot: command not found"

The only way I can seem to get fastboot to work is to navigate to,

{adam@adam-mainframe:/usr/local/android-sdk/platform-tools$ sudo ./fastboot devices}

Now here is the question I have been searching for all morning, I am fairly new to ubuntu so please bear with me.

1. How do I get fastboot to run without the "sudo" comand, and having to enter my password?
2. Better yet, how do I get fastboot to work with a simple {fastboot flash.......} from the root directory, eleminating having to navigate to the folder housing fastboot, using sudo command, typing "./"

I have read all about creating system links, setting permissions, wiping everything and trying again......

Can anyone help?

AdamT.
  • 0 Likes

jellybellys

jellybellys

Android Guru

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:02 PM #2

Add the following line to the bottom of ~/.bash_rc
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/android-sdk/platform-tools

As for starting without sudo, make sure you have your udev rules set up properly.
  • 1 Likes

yarly

yarly

Just a noob that doesn't know what he's talking about

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:58 PM #3

echo "export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/android-sdk/platform-tools" >> ~/.bashrc
source ~/.bashrc

Is the easiest way to do it. There is also no underscore in it.
  • 1 Likes

OP awtenterprise

awtenterprise

• 63 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:34 PM #4

OK, thanks for the replys. I think I am getting closer. I can now launch the fastboot command from the root directory. I still seem to have trouble running fastboot withought the "sudo" command.

while in bootloader,

{fastboot devices};
no permissions fastboot

{sudo fastboot devices};
enter password,
014691050200B005 fastboot

{fastboot reboot};
hangs on "< waiting for device >"

{sudo fastboot reboot};
enter password,
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.005s

I have checked my udev rules and I think they are all setup properly.
I just cant seem to get fastboot to run withought the "sudo" command. While searching the net I get many of results but they are all answered with a shotgun of fixes with no for sure results.

AdamT.

Edited by awtenterprise, 29 July 2012 - 01:34 PM.

• 0 Likes

Syndicate0017

Syndicate0017

Android Lover

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:40 AM #5

I have the same problem. I added my path and everything but I still have to use sudo. I've just come to terms with it. No big deal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

PonsAsinorem

PonsAsinorem

The Incredible Kangaroo

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:50 PM #6

Do cat /etc/group in a terminal. Look at any groups that might pertain to what you want (like android, or fastboot). Then add yourself to the group with sudo gpasswd -a your_username desired_group_to_join then log out and back in.
  • 1 Likes

Syndicate0017

Syndicate0017

Android Lover

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:08 PM #7

Do cat /etc/group in a terminal. Look at any groups that might pertain to what you want (like android, or fastboot). Then add yourself to the group with sudo gpasswd -a your_username desired_group_to_join then log out and back in.

This worked for me. I added myself to the root group. I know, I know, I probably shouldn't have but its the only way it would work without sudo.

• 0 Likes

PonsAsinorem

PonsAsinorem

The Incredible Kangaroo

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:17 PM #8

This worked for me. I added myself to the root group. I know, I know, I probably shouldn't have but its the only way it would work without sudo.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that. If my method didn't work, you could create an alias to have fastboot automatically call sudo.

Edited by PonsAsinorem, 05 August 2012 - 11:01 AM.

• 0 Likes

Syndicate0017

Syndicate0017

Android Lover

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:35 AM #9

Just thought I'd give an update in case the OP still needed it. I figured out how to use fastboot without the need for sudo and without adding myself to the root group. :D

I came across this:

http://ptspts.blogsp...s-error-on.html

I had been using a 99-android rules. Setting up with 51-android rules using his instructions seems to have fixed this. Followed every step in there and bam. Fastboot works from any directory without the need to be root or call sudo.

Edited by Syndicate0017, 17 August 2012 - 01:39 AM.

• 1 Likes

h2on0

h2on0

Member Title

• 112 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:51 AM #10

Just thought I'd give an update in case the OP still needed it. I figured out how to use fastboot without the need for sudo and without adding myself to the root group. :D

I came across this:

http://ptspts.blogsp...s-error-on.html

I had been using a 99-android rules. Setting up with 51-android rules using his instructions seems to have fixed this. Followed every step in there and bam. Fastboot works from any directory without the need to be root or call sudo.

Thankyou for that link.
  • 0 Likes