1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

2 votes

[How To] Root and ROM your new Stratosphere! (7/28/2012)

• Please log in to reply

dwitherell

dwitherell

Consummate tinkerer

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:09 AM #151

This probably shows my ignorance but will I lose my contacts, email and apps I currently have installed on my Stratosphere SCH-1405 if I root and flash my phone?

Only if you wipe /data (which you probably should do to be honest).
  • 0 Likes
If you like what I've done... I like sammiches so feel free to buy me one!

Posted Image

jcooler

jcooler

• 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:19 AM #152

This probably shows my ignorance but will I lose my contacts, email and apps I currently have installed on my Stratosphere SCH-1405 if I root and flash my phone?

I overcome this by using titanium backup to backup all apps, contacts, emails, sms etc. Also, if your contacts are "google contacts", instead of "phone contacts", they will be restored automatically, when you reconnect to your gmail account. the app "SMS Backup" is also another good app for backing up your text messages. It backs them up (and can restore) to your gmail account. They actually show up as a seperate mail folder on the gmail web interface.

Last words...go for it. Create a Titanium backup -> root/wipe/install new rom -> reinstall titanium backup -> restore from backup.

Do a quick google search. I remember finding some pretty detailed instructions on using Titanium backup for this purpose.
  • 0 Likes

bangdosa

bangdosa

• 17 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:34 PM #153

question: when i tell cwm to make a backup, it starts doing it but it goes and shuts down after. is that normal?
  • 0 Likes

Furcht

Furcht

Part time dev

• 186 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:47 PM #154

I have never been able to actually get CWM to backup / restore properly so I just ignore that part of CWM.
  • 0 Likes
Currently developing custom ROMS for Samsung Stratosphere.

acejavelin

acejavelin

Super User

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:14 AM #155

CWM's nandroid backup on the Strat has always been flaky... even when it works to backup the restoration process is iffy at best, failing over 50% of the time. You are better off using Titanium Backup or Ultimate Backup to maintain backups.
  • 0 Likes

Current Personal: Google Nexus 4 16GB (Beanstalk - Aio Wireless)
Current Work: LG G2 (Beanstalk - Verizon)
Previous Android devices: Motorola Droid 1, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

If I helped you, and you want to show some appreciation, send me a donation.

cagle06

cagle06

Average Android

• 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:15 PM #156

​Ok after 3 days I finally have root of my phone. I am however simply flabbergasted that someone who has the intelligence to write a program that does all the things that this does. Yet this person doesn't enable LIVE WALLPAPERS. I am not trying to be a flamer or a troll. I just am astounded. My head hurts and I wish someone would give me an APK that would enable LIVE WALLPAPERS. No disrespect intended. Sorry
  • 0 Likes

jakenelson09

jakenelson09

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:43 PM #157

Hi there, I am so excited about this!! I rooted my stratosphere and everything is working great. I was just wondering if there have been any updates that are compatable with my phone since this was writen? Would the 3.2 ROM work ?

• 0 Likes

sharowickster

sharowickster

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:29 PM #158

hey guys, I recently bought a stratosphere, I followed the exact instructions but I dont get that cwm v5, I get smthin else... it dsnt hav unmounting... :gocry:

• 0 Likes

DroidLifer

DroidLifer

Average Android

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:14 AM #159

hey guys, I recently bought a stratosphere, I followed the exact instructions but I dont get that cwm v5, I get smthin else... it dsnt hav unmounting... :gocry:

I know for me I always had to root the phone first and then follow the steps in this thread.  Did you do that?  I have had 3 strats to this point, one new and 2 fru's, and all have been/are rooted.  Did you try this first,  http://rootzwiki.com...r-stratosphere/ ?  For some reason I can never get the phone to be detected via usb debug enabled and in Heimdall, but after you do this "heimdall flash --kernel root-zImage", then follow the info in this thread.  Now, remember, you will NOT have signal bars unless you are on EI2.  If this is a newer strat or a fru, chances are it has FF1 or even GC1.  I did that when I was on GC1 and the phone, besides no signal bars, seemed slow and buggy, fyi. Good luck.

• 0 Likes