Just wanted to post an update on my progress. I spent too much time looking into the app compatability issue with no progress so I had to move on for now.
This is the order I am tackling this new build:
Fix Custom Recovery - Completed
Rebuild device tree with new blobs - Completed
Complete stable ICS AOSP - In Progress
Complete stable JB AOSP - In Progress
The custom recovery.img we were using on past build no longer works with the new bootloader. Unfortunately, re-bulding the recovery with the new boot.img still would not allow me to boot into recovery. Turns out the issue was the kernel Lenovo provided was just too large to fit into the recovery partition. Mark released the kernel source code to me for testing and I was able to recompile the kernel with LZMA compression instead of GZIP. This reduced the size significantly, and now CWM recovery is fully functional.
I rebuilt my device tree with the new binaries included in the Lenovo ICS update. Between the updated libraries and the newer kernel there should be no issue compiling our own stable community AOSP rom for the K1.
I've compiled the initial version of ICS and JB with my rebuilt device tree. In the ICS build some issue's that plauged my ALPHA Rom are already resolved (HD Video Playback) and the Google Play store works perfectl (No app incompatibilities). There are still a few bugs that need to be worked out before a release.
The JB build also booted and appears very responsive, however it does have a few more bugs than the ICS build.
At this point my efforts will be directed towards completing and releasing the ICS AOSP rom and then onto jellybean. Once the device tree is completed it will be easy to compile other firmware's such as Cyanogenmod or AOKP if your interested.
[ROM][ICS]Ideapad K1 Official Release