3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

What are the benefits of rooting?

• Please log in to reply

OP Nightfall

Nightfall

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:20 AM #1

I have the Nexus 7 and I love this thing. I have been tempted to root, but before I do I thought I would ask why. I rooted my Galaxy Nexus because I wanted the wireless hotspot and the ability to install the latest ICS and now Jellybean OS on it. I am trying to figure out why I should root my Nexus 7. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What does rooting give you on the Nexus 7?
  • 0 Likes

sbenson

sbenson

Android Addict Since 2011

• 173 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:18 AM #2

I have the Nexus 7 and I love this thing. I have been tempted to root, but before I do I thought I would ask why. I rooted my Galaxy Nexus because I wanted the wireless hotspot and the ability to install the latest ICS and now Jellybean OS on it. I am trying to figure out why I should root my Nexus 7. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What does rooting give you on the Nexus 7?

Biggest benefit is to unlock and root as soon as you get it so that you don't lose your data when you decide to unlock it down the road. Aside from that, rooting will give you access to root apps and custom roms, just like on the G-Nex.
  • 1 Likes

Mustang302LX

Mustang302LX

Android Guru

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:46 AM #3

I rooted/unlocked simply because I can lol. I like to tinker and run custom ROMs/Kernels and can't do that without root. I also like backing up my apps just in case.
  • 0 Likes

FranzVz

FranzVz

Android Beginner

• 32 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:36 AM #4

TitaniumBackup was my main reason, then for ROM flashing once CM10 and the likes get rolling.
  • 0 Likes

masully84

masully84

Super User

• 429 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:07 AM #5

I rooted/unlocked simply because I can lol. I like to tinker and run custom ROMs/Kernels and can't do that without root. I also like backing up my apps just in case.

Ditto

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  • 0 Likes

S4(VZW) ROM: CM10.2 nightlies Kernel: Ktoonsez KT-SGS4 9-17 4.3 AOSP Recovery: TWRP 2.5.0.2

Nexus 7 ROM: CM10.2 nightlies Kernel: LeanKernel v2.2 Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0

jayfried

jayfried

• 33 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:45 AM #6

Overclocking

Sent from my Nexus 7 using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

Mustang302LX

Mustang302LX

Android Guru

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:13 PM #7

TitaniumBackup was my main reason, then for ROM flashing once CM10 and the likes get rolling.

Should try the Euroskank CM10 kang. It runs great!
  • 0 Likes

exzacklyright

exzacklyright

♥ Lights ♥

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:11 PM #8

would it be wise to restore using my TiBu backups from my phone on my tablet?
  • 0 Likes

nhat

nhat

Android Master

• 820 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:48 PM #9

TitaniumBackup was my main reason

This is reason enough. Other than that, I see no real reason. Other than TiBu, I only have 2 other apps requesting root: SetCPU and Root Explorer. It's more of a convenience than a necessity. If you like to tinker and flash roms/kernels, root is a must just for TiBu because it makes getting apps back very easy.

would it be wise to restore using my TiBu backups from my phone on my tablet?

Select apps, yes.
  • 0 Likes

exzacklyright

exzacklyright

♥ Lights ♥

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:25 PM #10

This is reason enough. Other than that, I see no real reason. Other than TiBu, I only have 2 other apps requesting root: SetCPU and Root Explorer. It's more of a convenience than a necessity. If you like to tinker and flash roms/kernels, root is a must just for TiBu because it makes getting apps back very easy.

Select apps, yes.

How do you know which apps work on the tablet?
  • 0 Likes