1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

2 votes

[TUTORIAL] How to root your VZW Galaxy S III & More! (ROMs/CWM/Stock)

• Please log in to reply

ROUNDWIRE

ROUNDWIRE

flashaholic

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:46 AM #11

thanks this is very helpful, was able to root with ease. probably a dumb question.... i cannot backup using CWR. i get an error while backing up boot image. do i need to get an external sd card?

edit.... backup completed using EZ app.

Edited by ROUNDWIRE, 27 July 2012 - 05:53 AM.

• 0 Likes
galaxy s3 AOKP 7-07 nightly

dest

dest

Flash-a-holic

• 273 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:55 AM #12

For those who want to root w/out having to flash w/ Odin I wanted to point out this thread:
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1792342

I used this method last night on my wife's phone and it worked just fine.

The only issue I had was Titanium wasn't finding root access but a reboot resolved that.

EDIT: re-reading the original posts I see this method is listed under "Directory" - item 6...
So I'll just edit to say that I'm confirming this method does work... heh (I need more coffee)

Edited by dest, 27 July 2012 - 05:56 AM.

• 0 Likes

CM9-D2G development team
Those who can, do
Those who can't, just post w/out searching

ROUNDWIRE

ROUNDWIRE

flashaholic

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:00 AM #13

For those who want to root w/out having to flash w/ Odin I wanted to point out this thread:
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1792342

I used this method last night on my wife's phone and it worked just fine.

The only issue I had was Titanium wasn't finding root access but a reboot resolved that.

EDIT: re-reading the original posts I see this method is listed under "Directory" - item 6...
So I'll just edit to say that I'm confirming this method does work... heh (I need more coffee)

this is the method i used, very easy. it is listed after step 6 of rooting in this thread as "optional"
  • 0 Likes
galaxy s3 AOKP 7-07 nightly

junksecret

junksecret

Poobah

• 72 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:50 PM #14

Just curious, here is a screenshot of my "about phone" page. I always see the stock Verizon build referenced as "I535VRALF2", just like in this OP.

As you can see, my build says "I535VRLF2", The "A: is missing. What's up with that????

Posted Image

thanks
  • 0 Likes

OP droidstyle

droidstyle

Super User

• 452 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:34 PM #15

the baseband never includes the A, only the build number does...not sure why.
  • 0 Likes

junksecret

junksecret

Poobah

• 72 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:32 PM #16

Thanks for clearing that up for me !

tapity tap tapped on my Galaxy S3
  • 0 Likes

Insanity

Insanity

• 24 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:50 AM #17

Am I wrong in thinking that if I want to use TWRP insteasd of EZ recovery, I just replace EZ recovery with that in the instructions?

My bad. I didn't read enough before I posted this. Do I use get TWRP first then use EZ recovery for kernel?

Edited by Insanity, 30 July 2012 - 12:43 PM.

• 0 Likes

hank3fan

hank3fan

Android Beginner

• 161 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:51 PM #18

What is the download in section 3 step 2? What is it's purpose? I thought you just selected which recovery you wanted within the app then flashed. Am I wrong?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by hank3fan, 31 July 2012 - 05:51 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP droidstyle

droidstyle

Super User

• 452 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:19 PM #19

What is the download in section 3 step 2? What is it's purpose? I thought you just selected which recovery you wanted within the app then flashed. Am I wrong?

this was the first kexec kernel/recovery package released where you could boot a custom kernel and keep recovery. although with this, on each reboot you must reflash the emmc_boot.zip to stay on the custom kernel. The latest kexec kernels automatically hijack the boot process, so it elimantes manually flashing the emmc. Also I just updated section 3 for the latest kexec kernel.

Edited by droidstyle, 31 July 2012 - 09:20 PM.

• 0 Likes

hank3fan

hank3fan

Android Beginner

• 161 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:50 AM #20

this was the first kexec kernel/recovery package released where you could boot a custom kernel and keep recovery. although with this, on each reboot you must reflash the emmc_boot.zip to stay on the custom kernel. The latest kexec kernels automatically hijack the boot process, so it elimantes manually flashing the emmc. Also I just updated section 3 for the latest kexec kernel.

ok so I don't need it(kexec) to achieve cwm 6 through ez recovery? Beans latest release has imoseuyn built in. I'm coming from a fascinate so I'm comfortable with all this. I'm just being extra, extra precocious. Thanks!

• 0 Likes