1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

2 votes

[TUTORIAL] How to root your VZW Galaxy S III & More! (ROMs/CWM/Stock)

• Please log in to reply

OP droidstyle

droidstyle

Super User

• 452 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:48 AM #1

Follow thread here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1762709

Edited by droidstyle, 21 September 2012 - 06:41 PM.

• 8 Likes

OP droidstyle

droidstyle

Super User

• 452 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:45 AM #2

Edited by droidstyle, 17 September 2012 - 07:57 PM.

• 1 Likes

Travisimo

Travisimo

• 72 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:35 PM #3

Thanks for this. I completed steps 1 and 2 successfully. I flashed CWM Touch using the EZ app. Then I rebooted into CWM and did a backup. However, choosing "backup" gave me an error about something to do with the path not found. Then I choose "back to internal storage" instead of just "backup" and that seemed to work. However, towards the end of the backup, it gave me two messages:

No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.
Backing up cache...
No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.
Generating md5 sum...

So the backup completed fine, but I wanted to ask if those two messages about external storage are normal and what do they mean? And why I had to choose "backup to internal storage" instead of just "backup" in CWM.

EDIT: One more question. I had re-enabled a few VZW apps before doing steps 1 and 2 so as to not cause any problems. I assume I can now disable those apps again, right? Do I need to re-enable them any time I install a new rom now?

Thanks!

Edited by Travisimo, 21 July 2012 - 05:37 PM.

• 0 Likes

Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:45 AM #4

No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.
Backing up cache...
No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.
Generating md5 sum...

This is normal. These are related to Apps2SD. So as long as you don't install/move apps to your sdcard (I haven't done this since my G1), then this is normal.
  • 1 Likes

boostedirl

boostedirl

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:37 PM #5

so if for some reason I need to return to stock to call customer service I just flash the Factofy Stock Bloated 4.0.4 to return to unrooted stock correct? If I have to do that, do i then just perform the same steps again to re-root or will it not work after doing that? I'm only asking because I've had bad luck with sim cards and I don't want them to try and blame any issues on rooting, so if I can put it back to stock for that time being and then re-root afterwards it'd be awesome. Sorry for sounding like such a noob. I've never worked with a Samsung device before.
  • 0 Likes
"What we do in life...Echoes in eternity"

OP droidstyle

droidstyle

Super User

• 452 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:47 PM #6

so if for some reason I need to return to stock to call customer service I just flash the Factofy Stock Bloated 4.0.4 to return to unrooted stock correct? If I have to do that, do i then just perform the same steps again to re-root or will it not work after doing that? I'm only asking because I've had bad luck with sim cards and I don't want them to try and blame any issues on rooting, so if I can put it back to stock for that time being and then re-root afterwards it'd be awesome. Sorry for sounding like such a noob. I've never worked with a Samsung device before.

yep just flash stock bloat, then wipe data/factory reset in stock recovery.
  • 0 Likes

Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:04 PM #7

If you want to be thorough, be sure to run Triangle Away to reset your flash counter. Beware with that app though - it's dangerous!
  • 0 Likes

tnowakow

tnowakow

Android Beginner

• 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:06 AM #8

Hey guys, first phone with NFC on it and I remember reading that back when the Galaxy Nexus came out flashing killed the NFC chip and apps like google wallet. Are these flashing techniques safe now from damaging the NFC stuff? I know n00b question but couldn't find anything mentioning that, thanks!

EDIT: Thanks droidstyle, read that guide above and made a ton of sense to me. Guess I may not be using google wallet as much as I'd like to, just too much of a flash junkie :)

Edited by tnowakow, 24 July 2012 - 06:27 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP droidstyle

droidstyle

Super User

• 452 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:59 PM #9

^there is a link in section 6 about google wallet...hopefully that helps.

*Section 1 updated to parts A & B. I seperated rooting and going back to stock.
  • 1 Likes

OP droidstyle

droidstyle

Super User

• 452 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:22 AM #10

^there is a link in section 6 about google wallet...hopefully that helps.

*Section 1 updated to parts A & B. I seperated rooting and going back to stock.

your welcome!

*Links fixed in section 5! Apparently somebody hacked droidhive's website?
  • 0 Likes