1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

2 votes

Can you charge & USB Host mode simultaneously?

• Please log in to reply

jmcguire525

jmcguire525

Android Lover

• 102 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:54 PM #121

* Once a USB DAC device is detected during boot, it's USB cable can be pulled and plugged any number of times, it will always be rediscovered. This is, until the Android device was restarted without the DAC being connected.
This is the only problem, I can boot with the DAC connected and it will work fine but once I disconnect there is no way to know if it will be detected again. It is almost always detected again but usually not right away, most of the time changing a song or something similar will make the audio kick back on and sometimes it takes up to 10 mins to detect the DAC and start outputting audio to it again. AFAIK the Galaxy S3 does not have this problem stock and does not have to be rebooted to detect a DAC, is there anyway to make the N7 work the way the S3 does here....

Edited by jmcguire525, 18 November 2012 - 02:56 PM.

• 0 Likes

nexus-fan

nexus-fan

Android

• 141 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:00 PM #122

so, as far as i understand there is no solution to this issue and
i have to charge the N7 all the time or restart the device every ride..? :-(
  • 0 Likes

MetalMan

MetalMan

Android Lover

• 223 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:26 PM #123

Edit2: If you want a patched N7 kernel based on CM10 final but without the full system image (see: msg #98), you can find it here: https://github.com/m...-2012-11-15.img

This is what I've been waiting for, thanks! Personally I can't stand CM10 ROM, much prefer Team EOS ROM. So this patch enables me to use Team EOS ROM with OTG + charge + USB DAC :)
  • 0 Likes

Timur

Timur

Android Master

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:55 PM #124

sometimes it takes up to 10 mins to detect the DAC

Now I see why you want to keep your DAC powered all the time. Please note that my cheapo DAC does not do that. I have to stop/start a song, too. But it always plays after a second or two. You might want to consider testing another DAC?

I took a brief look at the S3 kernel. Samsung has added very significant amount of custom code there under the /sound/soc. Where in the case of the N7 we are taking advantage of a standard (none-Asus) Linux kernel driver for usbaudio. It may be a good idea to investigate the N10 for it's usbaudio capabilities.
  • 0 Likes

GoldMembr

GoldMembr

Average Android

• 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:25 PM #125

Timur

Someone else has asked this already but it was never answered. Is the a way to make a new img where it has USB OTG + Charging with a Y-Cable as well as normal USB OTG when you don't want to charge? As it is right now normal OTG does not work only with a charging cable. ie. In other words, to have the kernel auto-detects if there is a charger attached via a y-cable and uses it to power the external device and charge, ONLY if it's found.

Same as here
http://forum.xda-dev...50&postcount=70

Edited by GoldMembr, 19 November 2012 - 09:29 PM.

• 0 Likes

kevincat3556

kevincat3556

Android Lover

• 177 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:29 AM #126

Timur

Someone else has asked this already but it was never answered. Is the a way to make a new img where it has USB OTG + Charging with a Y-Cable as well as normal USB OTG when you don't want to charge? As it is right now normal OTG does not work only with a charging cable. ie. In other words, to have the kernel auto-detects if there is a charger attached via a y-cable and uses it to power the external device and charge, ONLY if it's found.

Same as here
http://forum.xda-dev...50&postcount=70

The fifth pin on the USB on the device(nexus 7 or gnexus) is for OTG. Connect the fifth pin to ground and the device goes into host mode. you could run a small switch from the micro USB plug and put it outside of the cable i guess. When i get home, ill draw some stuff out
  • 0 Likes

nexus-fan

nexus-fan

Android

• 141 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:41 AM #127

hi kevin,
i think you mean to the 4th "sense" leg that
you have to short with the fifth leg (ground),
is it correct?

USB OTH SCHEME

Edited by nexus-fan, 20 November 2012 - 09:19 AM.

• 0 Likes

puffmais

puffmais

• 14 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:54 AM #128

... I have to stop/start a song, too. But it always plays after a second or two....

Did it also play evertytime when you: stop music, put tablet in lock screen, plug off dac, wait few seconds, plug on dac, put lockscreen off, and than start to play music??
  • 0 Likes

mentose457

mentose457

Typical Interwebz Troll

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:04 PM #129

Timur, will your boot image work on 4.2? I suspect It will not but thought id ask anyway.
  • 0 Likes

kevincat3556

kevincat3556

Android Lover

• 177 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:39 PM #130

hi kevin,
i think you mean to the 4th "sense" leg that
you have to short with the fifth leg (ground),
is it correct?

USB OTH SCHEME

Yes. I made my own OTG cable from a chopped up Motorola charger for my GNexus. Same thing applies here. The extra 'sense' pin, is usually unused. so just connect it to a little toggle switch and make it togglable. lol. sorry. hard to concentrate here, the teacher is INSANE!

what i mean is, take the sense pin, and instead of just shorting it out, run it outside of the plug and you can toggle OTG mode WITHOUT having to take the cable out! lol. it actually charges my power-hungry nexus with a controller and HDD hooked up playing GTA3, so it should DEFINITELY charge the Nexus 7, which i will be getting for christmas. i can do more testing when i get home tomorrow.

Edited by kevincat3556, 20 November 2012 - 03:42 PM.

• 0 Likes