Rate this Topic

1 votes

nexus 7 Bluetooth tethering

• Please log in to reply

OP rzm1986

rzm1986

Average Android

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:45 PM #1

Is there any way to connect to my galaxy nexus?
I have foxfi on my galaxy nexus and connect my computer to it no problem but can't figure out how to connect the n7.
Galaxy nexus is rooted with AOKP milestone 6. N7 not rooted yet. Any tips? And the reason I want Bluetooth and not wifi is because I work in a building where unknown wifi signals are suppressed. Thanks!
  • 0 Likes

dch921

dch921

Android Beginner

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:48 PM #2

I just tested and it worked on my Galaxy Nexus to Nexus 7 via Bluetooth.

I used the built in tether app under settings->more->tethering and mobile hotspot. Once I turned on Bluetooth tether on the Galaxy Nexus, I went to the N7 and turned on Bluetooth. I double checked t make sure the options said for Internet sharing on each device for each device. Then from the N7 I simply clicked on the Galaxy Nexus name, it said connected and I check that I did have inernett address. Not sure if it matters but I did have WiFi turned off when I tried it.
  • 1 Likes
Devices:
VZW Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Belly
Xoom running AOKP
Nexus 7 Stock Rooted

Walter White

Walter White

Android Apprentice

• 162 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:50 PM #3

That's pretty cool! I'll have to try that. Sounds like it will be better on my battery using my nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

OP rzm1986

rzm1986

Average Android

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:02 PM #4

Yup. Turning off WiFi on N7 is the key to getting it to work. I had it on before. Thanks!
  • 0 Likes

Briankbl

Briankbl

Android Lover

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:17 PM #5

What is the benefit of Bluetooth tethering over regular Wi-Fi tethering?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Belly v3.4!
  • 0 Likes

dch921

dch921

Android Beginner

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:59 PM #6

What is the benefit of Bluetooth tethering over regular Wi-Fi tethering?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Belly v3.4!

Maybe battery life but not sure. If I ever use tethering I usually just use an open wifi network to make it easy but with Bluetooth since the devices are paired with each other that becomes your security. Couldn't say its any better then wifi tethering but could have it benefits.
  • 0 Likes
Devices:
VZW Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Belly
Xoom running AOKP
Nexus 7 Stock Rooted

nhat

nhat

Android Master

• 820 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:09 PM #7

Bluetooth still allows your phone to connect to other WiFi networks, you'd be sharing your data plan instead of WiFi.

I've run into a strange situation. My devices (GN, N7, and Xoom) connect to my laptop but not each other. They see each other and will prompt me to pair them but no connection is made.
GN is running imnuts' butternutz rom with his kernel
N7 is running EOS rom with poitee's kernel
Xoom is running EOS rom with whatever kernel is packaged with it
  • 0 Likes

nhat

nhat

Android Master

• 820 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:42 AM #8

I flashed both my N7 and GN back to stock (JRO03D and IMM76K, respectively) and I still have the same issue; pairs but won't connect to each other, but they'll connect to my laptop.

Anybody else experiencing this?
  • 0 Likes

drose6102

drose6102

Android Noob

• 115 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:09 AM #9

Got my Gnex running jelly and I tether my 7 to it with Bluetooth, works great. Then get tablet talk and you can sync and text message from your tablet. Almost tempted to use my 7 all the time and just keep the gnex in my pocket.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  • 1 Likes
If someone helped you please click the like button its over there ----------------------------------->>>>>

doobie711

doobie711

Legion Dairy

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:11 AM #10

Bluetooth tethering is working great natively on my galaxy nexus with the glitter ROM (shameless self plug). But really though, works great on my rom,. I've been watching transformers in HD for the past hour or so while waiting at the dealership.
  • 0 Likes