- - - - -

Can't get into recovery from bootloader

• Please log in to reply

throwbot

throwbot

Android Master

• 802 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:53 AM #21

I noticed this the day they released the seven. I can get into recovery anyway you could imagine, except going through the bootloader. Unless I plug it into a computer and house fastboot commands.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes
Jesus promised to rid the world of wicked people.
Thor promised to rid the world of Frost Giants.
I dont see any Frost Giants.

DroidOnRoids

DroidOnRoids

Everybody! Mosh Pit!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:37 PM #22

If I remember correctly, the problem you guys are facing is a bug with the bootloader itself. I too have this problem and there are threads over in XDA explaining this issue.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy S III
  • 0 Likes

jh180

jh180

Average Android

• 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:56 AM #23

One thing that I found that works is, while in Fastboot mode is to "boot" a recovery with "fastboot boot xxxxx.img". it temporarily flashes the recovery but does not replace your existing recovery, after it downloads and writes it opens the recovery right up.

Edited by jh180, 09 October 2012 - 12:01 PM.

• 0 Likes

Mustang302LX

Mustang302LX

Android Guru

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:19 PM #24

This is no longer an issue on 4.1.2 with the new 3.41 bootloader. If you haven't received the OTA or flashed it manually from stock ROM then hit the dev section and you can flash the bootloader at least to solve this issue.
  • 2 Likes

mssam

mssam

Super User

• 358 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:10 PM #25

MUSTANG302LX is correct. Once I installed the 4.1.2 update, rooted and flashed the latest twrp, I can now go straight into recovery from pwr/vol buttons! :D I always knew that 3.40 bootloader was the problem...
  • 0 Likes

kauthor47

kauthor47

Best Buy Mobile Lead

• 124 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:28 PM #26

I still have this problem. I've restored using the Google factory image (twice actually) and I still cannot for the life of me go from Bootloader to Recovery. It reboots every time after sitting at the Google logo for a few seconds. It's quite aggravating. Anybody got any advice for this? I've tried both CWM and TWRP.
  • 0 Likes
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Mustang302LX

Mustang302LX

Android Guru

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:17 PM #27

I still have this problem. I've restored using the Google factory image (twice actually) and I still cannot for the life of me go from Bootloader to Recovery. It reboots every time after sitting at the Google logo for a few seconds. It's quite aggravating. Anybody got any advice for this? I've tried both CWM and TWRP.

In bootloader does it say 3.41?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 via the RootzWiki app.
  • 0 Likes

BarberAE

BarberAE

Android Lover

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:08 AM #28

It is the same for me. I have just given up and went back to 3.34. Looks like certain nexus 7s still have issues from reading boards.
  • 0 Likes

mssam

mssam

Super User

• 358 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:08 PM #29

I also restored a factory image, then updated to 4.1.2 (which updates the bootloader). From there, I rooted and flashed the recovery, then I was able to use the pwr/vol buttons to access recovery without the need to be connected to a computer (or whatever). Mustang302LX said there is a bootloader available, so you probably could just fastboot that and skip the update...idk...it's up to you...

It is the same for me. I have just given up and went back to 3.34. Looks like certain nexus 7s still have issues from reading boards.

I've never seen a 3.34 bootloader on the nexus 7. I saw a 3.40, and after the 4.1.2 update a 3.41. It could be that certain nexus 7's still have issues, but you might want to take one last thorough look to be sure because the bootloader is fixed on other devices...
  • 0 Likes

kauthor47

kauthor47

Best Buy Mobile Lead

• 124 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:03 AM #30

I also restored a factory image, then updated to 4.1.2 (which updates the bootloader). From there, I rooted and flashed the recovery, then I was able to use the pwr/vol buttons to access recovery without the need to be connected to a computer (or whatever). Mustang302LX said there is a bootloader available, so you probably could just fastboot that and skip the update...idk...it's up to you...

What root method did you use / what did you do to flash recovery? I'd been doing it by using 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' (using Clockworkmod) and then flashing SuperSU.zip. I've always done it that way and haven't had any problems except going from bootloader into recovery. I am on 3.41, I pulled it directly from the factory image and flashed it manually. (fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.41.img) I've also tried re-locking and re-unlocking again, then going about the whole procedure. Still no dice.

Does it work for you on 3.34? Mine does indeed show 3.41 in the bootloader information section, so I can't for the life of me figure this shit out.

Edited by kauthor47, 13 October 2012 - 10:04 AM.

• 0 Likes
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.