Android OS Forum banner

The "its broken already'" thread

24K views 79 replies 36 participants last post by  CaucasianAsian 
#1 ·
I'll get this started

Because of the lifting of the display. When I pushed it down a second time, the screen stressed and cracked. Still waiting for them to replace it.

My advice is don't mess with the lifting, its a factory defect and needs to be returned.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

See less See more
#5 ·
No it was from pushing the glass into the glue. It worked the first time. Second time it cracked from stress. No more pressure than u might if u were holding it in one hand and walking down the street. Very dispointing.

My advice is don't mess with the raised glass, if you don't like it take it back.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
On my 2nd unit with raised glass on the left side only.... kinda sucks! Since I purchased mine through Sam's Club and they are all OOS now I will be waiting on a fresh 3rd replacement.... I LOVE this tablet though!! I just think they rushed it just a bit...

#13 ·
I have the lifting on the left midway up. I did press on it pretty hard the first time I noticed and it stuck for awhile good thing I quit messing with it.

I am not going to send it back, I will either fix it myself or try to forget about it. Maybe someone will make a walk through.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

#17 ·
Mine might be raised about a mm (literally just that) on the left side but only if I REALLY look hard, never would have noticed it if I never looked at this thread, bastards.

Not a problem, but I just bought a nice case that will cover up the bezel anyways, no problems over here.

Reactions: Migamix and shojus
#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've just noticed a dead pixel in the notification bar. I didn't see it right away because it only shows up when certain apps are open.

Play store: not visible
Tapatalk: bright blue on forum list, dim everywhere else
Tweetcaster: dim, but visible
Words with friends: invisible on splash screen, then bright blue when done loading.

...etc, etc, etc. Anyone else with a similarly located dead pixel seeing this type of behavior?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

#31 ·
Go through the Google Play Store. They are willing to send a replacement tablet before you ship one back to them. I just got off the phone with them and he said the normal process is they forward the case to their advance support team, then they send you the new tablet in a few days. Way better than paying for shipping.

#35 ·
Guys with raised screens, just a note if you hadn't read: a number of I/O and review units had the same issue, and most reviewers said within a week or 2 of use the screen settled in and you could no longer see it. Might want to consider waiting before rushing a return if it will indeed correct itself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#39 ·
Just got off the phone with Google. After I explained what was going on with my device they told me that someone would get a hold of me within 24 to 48 hours. Also in the email they sent me they described it as screen ghosting and needs replacement. If you guys venture over to my thread you can see pictures and tell me that's going to settle in.
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/30264-defective-nexus7/

#40 ·
Just got off the phone with Google. After I explained what was going on with my device they told me that someone would get a hold of me within 24 to 48 hours. Also in the email they sent me they described it as screen ghosting and needs replacement. If you guys venture over to my thread you can see pictures and tell me that's going to settle in.
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/30264-defective-nexus7/
No I saw your thread, and I agree that looks more serious. A simple screen raised a millimeter or so on the edge I believe may settle, based on info provided by early reviewers. Clearly yours is more serious than that.

#44 ·
Just got my Nexus 7 last night. I noticed that the screen is loose around the same area on the left hand side. Mine starts around 2 inches from the bottom left hand side and is loose up to about 3 inches from the top. When I say loose, it means I can push in on the black edge and it is soft, moves in and back out. The right, top or bottom is firm and won't move.

No other issues with ghosting or back light found yet.

I plan on calling Google today..

#45 · (Edited by Moderator)
Called Google this morning -- 1hr 15min wait but worth it, just put it on speaker and continued working -- their advanced support will be contacting me and expediting a replacement, then I can send mine back.

Mine has dead pixels and screen separation. As far as the separation goes, there's no visual issue but you can definitely hear the tacky crackling under normal use when sliding your fingers across the upper portion of the device.

Aside from that, no other issues... no ghosting, heat, etc.

#48 ·
Called Google this morning -- 1hr 15min wait but worth it, just put it on speaker and continued working -- their advanced support will be contacting me and expediting a replacement, then I can send mine back.
How did you call them? Can you post the phone number you used? I can only find their help center thing that I put my number in and it calls me, but for the past hour I keep getting a message saying they're really busy.

My issue is slightly different... I've got red streaks

#46 ·
Called Asus about my glass seperation and got an RMA from them, but you have to pay for shipping and send yours back first. It will be a long wait but I'll call Google and when I eventually get someone sounds like they have a good system where I keep this one until I get my new one. Only have had lifted glass issues, no others.

#47 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not to be all "haha" but in case people reading are deciding on getting one or not. Mine is perfect, no dead pix, no separation or raised screen, no nothing, so there is a chance you'll get a good one, its not like they're all bad, which is how it can look reading this thread. To all you guys that did get defects, I'm sorry... I would be so raged out if I were you all

#50 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just got off the phone with Google, I have now spoken to Asus and Google. Asus wait time: ~5 minutes, Google wait time: ~40 minutes.

Results:

Asus: Good support members, bad accent. Offered to do an RMA. Their process is PAY to ship your defective device to them, they repair it, they pay to send it back to you. Very easy process. But you're without your tablet that you waited for for more than a month.

Google: Long wait, but worth it. Very good subjective support person who had no accent, very helpful. We had some small talk (about products) while he was setting up the RMA, he knew his stuff. I'm going to be contacted in the next 24-48 hours by their level 2 support team via email. I will get sent a new one, then I will send this one back. That also allows me to check the new one for any issues before sending it back. (I'll give it a full dead pixel, separated glass, and everything inspection) Besides the wait (just played shadowgun while I waited, not too bad) it was MUCH better than Asus. Thankfully the only issue I had was the separated glass a little bit, the temporary fix is holding and no other problems. This will certainly do until my replacement. I am satisfied. I understand some devices are gonna be defective, if it works fine I'm alright. I just know everything is worked out and well. Good experience for me. :) They also both spoke the phonetic alphabet which is nice for giving out serial numbers and emails and repeating them back without frustration and a what was that? D or B? I speak it for my love of aviation and Air Traffic Control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.