1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

1 votes

[TUTORIAL] [ROOT/RECOVERY] US/Canadian Galaxy S III (not for VZW)

• Please log in to reply

OP Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:01 AM #41

Well when i originally rooted, I did so without flashing a custom rom or anything. All I did was odin the root and let it do its work. I just want to have my phone rooted and still running the stock rom. The update i just did added the brightness control in the notification bar. This was an AT&T minor update. Once the update finished, i used a root checker and it said that my device was no longer rooted. Will I be able to flash the root and only the root? I just want to make sure before follow through with the process.

When you root via the process outlined in this thread, what you are doing is flashing a stock ROM with root injected into it already. So it's just like an OTA but comes pre-rooted for you. So this process is really more than just rooting your current ROM but is instead blowing it away with another ROM. It will still be a stock ROM but will likely be an older version forcing you to perform a factory reset.

Go into your Settings -> About and take a screenshot of all of the different version information and post it here (if it shows it, be sure to remove your ph# and IMEI for privacy reasons). Once I see that, then I can tell you more what to do. It's very important to post the version information of your current ROM. If it shows "I747UCALG1" then that link I have ~2 posts back should do it for you. If it's something else, then that link might not do it for you.
  • 1 Likes

imak3d3dp3pl

imak3d3dp3pl

• 10 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:03 AM #42

When you root via the process outlined in this thread, what you are doing is flashing a stock ROM with root injected into it already. So it's just like an OTA but comes pre-rooted for you. So this process is really more than just rooting your current ROM but is instead blowing it away with another ROM. It will still be a stock ROM but will likely be an older version forcing you to perform a factory reset.

Go into your Settings -> About and take a screenshot of all of the different version information and post it here (if it shows it, be sure to remove your ph# and IMEI for privacy reasons). Once I see that, then I can tell you more what to do. It's very important to post the version information of your current ROM. If it shows "I747UCALG1" then that link I have ~2 posts back should do it for you. If it's something else, then that link might not do it for you.

Here is my info page

Posted Image
  • 0 Likes

OP Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:09 AM #43

Here is my info page

Okay, so you have I747UCLH9 and that rooted ROM is I747UCALG1 - different versions. I'm too ignorant about the AT&T releases to know for certain what will happen although I have some guesses but I don't want to guess with your device and data. ;-)

Before I continue, let me ask you this: Is it important that you avoid doing a factory reset? If you're fine doing a factory reset, then just do that and flash the G1 file via the directions in this thread and you'll be good! If you can't/don't want to do a factory reset, then we'll have to work harder. So let me know that so we don't waste needless time. :)
  • 1 Likes

imak3d3dp3pl

imak3d3dp3pl

• 10 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:16 AM #44

Okay, so you have I747UCLH9 and that rooted ROM is I747UCALG1 - different versions. I'm too ignorant about the AT&T releases to know for certain what will happen although I have some guesses but I don't want to guess with your device and data. ;-)

Before I continue, let me ask you this: Is it important that you avoid doing a factory reset? If you're fine doing a factory reset, then just do that and flash the G1 file via the directions in this thread and you'll be good! If you can't/don't want to do a factory reset, then we'll have to work harder. So let me know that so we don't waste needless time. :)

Well.. I would like to avoid the reset if at all possible because because I want to avoid loosing data for certain app and games (however childish that may sound). I have hacked a lot of games and re written data values in them and i am sure that the reset will wipe all that work i have done. I know the first time i flashed the rooted rom, it did not require a reset. I was hoping for that same option in this case. If possible, i would like to have the rooted rom with the recent update included, as it does have a few perks included with it. I know i am requesting a lot but I really do appreciate your work to help me out.
  • 0 Likes

OP Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:31 AM #45

Well.. I would like to avoid the reset if at all possible because because I want to avoid loosing data for certain app and games (however childish that may sound). I have hacked a lot of games and re written data values in them and i am sure that the reset will wipe all that work i have done. I know the first time i flashed the rooted rom, it did not require a reset. I was hoping for that same option in this case. If possible, i would like to have the rooted rom with the recent update included, as it does have a few perks included with it. I know i am requesting a lot but I really do appreciate your work to help me out.

Okay, I've created a new thread for you since your problem is beyond the scope of this thread. This will hopefully get some people more informed with the AT&T versions involved in helping you as well. I'll try to keep an eye on it but hopefully somebody will have some good info for you. I proposed a couple options but need verification on which one is more appropriate for you.
  • 1 Likes

imak3d3dp3pl

imak3d3dp3pl

• 10 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:33 AM #46

Okay, I've created a new thread for you since your problem is beyond the scope of this thread. This will hopefully get some people more informed with the AT&T versions involved in helping you as well. I'll try to keep an eye on it but hopefully somebody will have some good info for you. I proposed a couple options but need verification on which one is more appropriate for you.

Thank you kind sir. You are much appreciated.
  • 1 Likes

roly17

roly17

• 29 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:31 AM #47

everything seemed to work fine. odin showed that it passed but my phone keeps saying that "Unfortunately, the process android.acore has stopped". this keepd popping up every 2 seconds. can you please advise as to what might be wrong?
Should i try a factory reset from cwr? What should I do before I try the wipe What would the consequences be? I won't have access to computer until this evening.
Or should I try to reinstall this package again?
I tried to wipe dalvik & cache and fix permissions. No good.
I can't open dialer, messages.
To type this i can only do a word or two at a time, because this message keeps popping up.
Or can i just install a new rom since i do have root?

NVM... I got home and read through again. Saw that I should factory reset. All is good now.

Edited by roly17, 16 October 2012 - 02:30 PM.

• 0 Likes

clothednblack

clothednblack

Android Guru

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:44 PM #48

Forgot to say thanks for all the info here, so, I thank you :lol:

Teleported from CM10 on my SG3
  • 0 Likes

beamrider

beamrider

Average Android

• 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:49 PM #49

Is this still a valid method, wasn't sure if it mattered if the s3 already had JB on it or not, just wanting to make sure I know everything I need to know before I try this, thanks!
  • 0 Likes

ACLakey

ACLakey

Try to Keep UP

• 330 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:43 AM #50

Are there any updated files for the USCC version of the S3?
  • 0 Likes