1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

1 votes

[TUTORIAL] [ROOT/RECOVERY] US/Canadian Galaxy S III (not for VZW)

• Please log in to reply

RMarkwald

RMarkwald

Mr Click Click Derk

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:53 PM #21

Someone on the US Cellular forum tried the apk on their rooted device and got: Magic header not found, incompatible device" and then hitting OK aborts the program.

Looks like USCC folk will have to wait for Chainfire and hopefully he can lend a hand.

Kernel source is out for the USCC device now.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using RootzWiki

You may know this already Jax, ODIN return to stock images are available now too.
  • 0 Likes
Find me on App.net: https://alpha.app.net/ryanmarkwald
Follow me on Twitter: @RyanMarkwald

OP Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:02 AM #22

You may know this already Jax, ODIN return to stock images are available now too.

Awesome! I think I saw somewhere that you had rooted without tripping. I didn't see the method/process/file. Is it via the same process as here? Can you hook me up with some info? I'm working on gathering all of the files and uploading them to goo.im for mirroring so we have them readily available at various locations. Already have a couple up now.
  • 0 Likes

RMarkwald

RMarkwald

Mr Click Click Derk

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:15 AM #23

Awesome! I think I saw somewhere that you had rooted without tripping. I didn't see the method/process/file. Is it via the same process as here? Can you hook me up with some info? I'm working on gathering all of the files and uploading them to goo.im for mirroring so we have them readily available at various locations. Already have a couple up now.

Sure!

How to root w/o tripping flash counter (it is the VZW method, but works. Device will state "Modified" in Settings - About phone. Some have reported that it tripped their counter, some like me haven't had it happen.): http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1792342

This also has the link to TWRP recovery too: http://teamuscellula...-flash-counter/

Potential flash counter reset for USCC (still waiting for verification/someone to do it.): http://rootzwiki.com...-flash-counter/

Edited by RMarkwald, 31 July 2012 - 12:52 PM.

• 0 Likes
Find me on App.net: https://alpha.app.net/ryanmarkwald
Follow me on Twitter: @RyanMarkwald

Raykovitz

Raykovitz

Hazardous

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:38 PM #24

The T-mobile download link is down...
  • 1 Likes

OP Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:47 AM #25

The T-mobile download link is down...

Sorry for the slow response. I'm working on uploading these files to goo.im. I just moved into a temporary condo until we buy a house later this year and my internet here is pretty crappy. So please forgive me as it'll take quite a while for me to get these uploaded.
  • 1 Likes

Raykovitz

Raykovitz

Hazardous

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:25 AM #26

Sorry for the slow response. I'm working on uploading these files to goo.im. I just moved into a temporary condo until we buy a house later this year and my internet here is pretty crappy. So please forgive me as it'll take quite a while for me to get these uploaded.

No problem JAX... I found the file and have ROOT.. Thanks
  • 0 Likes

OP Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:44 PM #27

All files in the thread have been re-uploaded and are active. Please let me know if a link dies and I'll fix it but they're all now up at my repository on Goo.IM so they should be good pending any infrastructure issues over there.
  • 1 Likes

scifan

scifan

Android Lover

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:48 PM #28

Your instructions worked like a champ... Though I had some difficulty laying hands on a recovery image to use...

And I ran into a few problems because I was running the UVALH2 update... so most thing's were fcing after flashing with root... but after getting a recovery on, I was able to flash a stock LH2 image with root over top of my system via the recovery, and I'm cooking with gas... root, on lh2 without any counter increment.

Thanks!
  • 1 Likes

OP Jaxidian

Jaxidian

teh Jax

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:03 AM #29

Your instructions worked like a champ... Though I had some difficulty laying hands on a recovery image to use...

And I ran into a few problems because I was running the UVALH2 update... so most thing's were fcing after flashing with root... but after getting a recovery on, I was able to flash a stock LH2 image with root over top of my system via the recovery, and I'm cooking with gas... root, on lh2 without any counter increment.

Thanks!

I guess I should update the OP to say that if you do this, you should probably also do a factory reset. Thanks for the feedback.

For recovery images, your best bets are to either use Goo Manager (preferred for our Galaxy S3s due to the IMEI issue) to install TWRP or ROM Manager to install CWM. If you want to manually install CWM (or want CWM Touch for free), you can always get them from here.

EDIT: Updated the OP with info to help others from having both of your problems (finding a Recovery and bootloops/FCs due to "downgrading" the OS image).
  • 0 Likes

scifan

scifan

Android Lover

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:25 AM #30

I backed up using qpst before doing anything...

My imei appears to still be intact...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes