1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

4 votes

New root method for stock 2.3.4 (621/622) found (Droid2, R2D2)

• Please log in to reply

Jabberwockish

Jabberwockish

Every day I'm galumphin'

• 165 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:35 PM #71

so, hypothetically, if we did the long linux way, using the correct SBF's, we could do this to a D2G with .629?

Or, would a special D2G preinstall.img be needed?

I took phifc's statement that "in theory it should work on D2G" to mean the preinstall.img file (combined with the appropriate SBF) should work for the D2G.

I won't be the one to test it, though, because I'm still running .608.
  • 0 Likes
Before you ask a question, try searching for an answer. If you still need help, ask your question the smart way.

MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable

Super User

• 312 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:51 PM #72

so, hypothetically, if we did the long linux way, using the correct SBF's, we could do this to a D2G with .629?

Or, would a special D2G preinstall.img be needed?

you know, i might just try this...
I'll just do a temp unroot on my phone, and flash using sbf_flash to keep my unbandlocked radio...

(i'll wait a lil bit to see if anyone else answers this post though)

I don't know if I'd try this out just for hoots and toots. The old SBF will no longer work on your phone after you do this. Wouldn't work anymore for me anyway, which means there's no going back =p
  • 0 Likes
What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Morlok8k

Morlok8k

Android Lover

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:21 PM #73

I took phifc's statement that "in theory it should work on D2G" to mean the preinstall.img file (combined with the appropriate SBF) should work for the D2G.

I won't be the one to test it, though, because I'm still running .608.

yeah, thats what i thought.

I don't know if I'd try this out just for hoots and toots. The old SBF will no longer work on your phone after you do this. Wouldn't work anymore for me anyway, which means there's no going back =p

I'm already running a rooted D2G .629 with the TBH band unlock (the radio from 330).
are you saying i cant go back to 608 (i know this already), or i can't SBF back to stock 629 (i don't see why i couldn't)?
  • 0 Likes

You start a conversation you can't even finish it.
You're talking a lot, but you're not saying anything.
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again?

Morlok8k

Morlok8k

Android Lover

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:31 PM #74

Droid 2 Global:

Note: My D2G is already rooted, running .629, and has the TBH unbandlock installed, as per this page. I temp unrooted, and uninstalled the updates to my superuser program. (My phone then had 3.07 superuser package, and no su binary.)

I downloaded the D2G .629 sbf: http://sbf.droid-dev...rizon-US.sbf.gz
and extracted it.

I downloaded a different version number of Superuser (3.1.3) than i already had my phone. (I also temp-unrooted it, and uninstalled the superuser .apk updates so i had an older version than what i would be installing today.)

I followed the Linux (Long path) instructions...
the only thing i changed was step 2:

2) Unpack the custom preinstall file, then reboot your phone into flash mode by holding the up arrow on the keypad. Then send the custom SBF file with sbf_flash:

sbf_flash -r --preinstall preinstall.img 1FF-p3_droid2we_cdma_droid2we-user-2.3.4-4.5.1_57_D2GA-59-120117-test-keys-signed-Verizon-US.sbf

After completing all the steps:

it worked! I had the latest su binary and .apk installed. (and because i used sbf_flash instead of RSDlite, i again kept my "N_01.48.05R" baseband - my TBH unbandlocked radio)

so there you have it. verified on droid 2 global. (someone else might want to try it on a fully unrooted phone... but it should work.)

Edit: sometimes when booting it freezes at the Red M. I just do a battery pull, and restart it and it works. is this because it is doing the hack each time it boots? if so, how can i disable the hack now that i have root installed?

Edited by Morlok8k, 19 July 2012 - 11:21 PM.

• 2 Likes

OP phifc

phifc

• 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:27 PM #75

Thanks for testing and the writeup Morlok8k! I suspect this works for a lot of Motorola phones at the moment, though most have already rooted. :)

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but yes I did mean the D2 preinstall file. Stock, the preinstall area only contains Flash player and Need For Speed. It doesn't seem to have any critical system files. While testing, I flashed a preinstall image with exploit data only (shrunk to 10MB) and the phone worked fine.
  • 0 Likes

Morlok8k

Morlok8k

Android Lover

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:47 PM #76

Thanks for testing and the writeup Morlok8k! I suspect this works for a lot of Motorola phones at the moment, though most have already rooted. :)

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but yes I did mean the D2 preinstall file. Stock, the preinstall area only contains Flash player and Need For Speed. It doesn't seem to have any critical system files. While testing, I flashed a preinstall image with exploit data only (shrunk to 10MB) and the phone worked fine.

any thoughts on why it now occasionally freezes on the Red M at boot? My thoughts are that because the hack loads at boot, and it loads at every boot - which can cause it to crash sometimes... idk... whats the easiest way of removing the hack once su is installed?

EDIT: I've done 5 reboots since installing su. 2 of them have failed - stuck on red M - and required a battery pull. (never had to do a single one before this)

EDIT 2:

Literary almost every other reboot was failing...

so i went into terminal emulator (this could also be done in adb shell, i guess)

i did the following:

su
rm /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5
rm /system/preinstall/md5/magic.md5
rm /system/preinstall/app/magic

then i went into clockworkmod recovery and cleared the cache. (not data and cache, just cache)

I have rebooted many times since doing the above (i did each one with some reboots in between, just to see which step fixed it), but clearing the cache after removing the hack has seemed to fix my issue.

I don't know how other devices are handling your hack but my Droid 2 Global needed the hack cleaned up to restore stability. It works though! very clever.

Edited by Morlok8k, 20 July 2012 - 01:22 AM.

• 2 Likes

jwagman1

jwagman1

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:51 AM #77

hey guys im having an issue.

i have a droid 2 with .621

I ran the .bat, rebooted, and attempt the sbf. it goes all the way through verifying the checksums then i get this error:

"Failed flashing process. Interface BP: Checksum error in the RAM Downloader for Flash Bootloader. File: 0x13AD (0x702C)"

The phone says SW Update In progress..

so i pulled the battery and put back in and now it goes to the bootloader and says corrupt code

I tried the sbf 3 times and redownloaded all the files 3 times.

I dont know what to do........

EDIT: i was able to sbf back to the unrooted .621. then i tried the root process again but still got the error. should i do a full factory reset then try??

EDIT: I tried flashing the root sbf one more time, and this time i still got the error, but the phone rebooted and booted up ok. i installed voodoo rootkeeper and protected root :]

Edited by jwagman1, 20 July 2012 - 09:23 AM.

• 0 Likes

MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable

Super User

• 312 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:53 PM #78

I'm already running a rooted D2G .629 with the TBH band unlock (the radio from 330).
are you saying i cant go back to 608 (i know this already), or i can't SBF back to stock 629 (i don't see why i couldn't)?

I was saying the stock .629 SBF wouldn't work anymore once I flashed the Fixed .629.
  • 0 Likes
What is best in life? "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

OP phifc

phifc

• 22 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:08 PM #79

Thanks Morlok8k. I put the information in the main post, just in case it pops up for others. I'll also update the 1-click to clean up after itself. It crossed my mind, but I didn't think it would be too much of a problem. Whoops.

Edited by phifc, 20 July 2012 - 03:09 PM.

• 0 Likes

Morlok8k

Morlok8k

Android Lover

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:40 PM #80

I was saying the stock .629 SBF wouldn't work anymore once I flashed the Fixed .629.

really? i'd like to know why this would be the case. the fixed 629 sbf doesnt change the bootloader anymore than the stock 629 right?
in fact, the "fixed" sbf is just flashing the stock sbf, along with a modified CG66 sbf (the preinstall section).

Or is it because the 629 sbf is signed with "test keys" instead of "release keys"?

Thanks Morlok8k. I put the information in the main post, just in case it pops up for others. I'll also update the 1-click to clean up after itself. It crossed my mind, but I didn't think it would be too much of a problem. Whoops.

sounds good. I looked around, but those 3 files were all i could find that looked out of place. (not stock). was there anything i missed?
  • 0 Likes