Android OS Forum banner

[Beta-CWM]

6K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  rwhitby 
#1 ·
This is going to be a fun device. heres a build of cwm that i've been working on. you can use it to root (just push the su binary, dont worry about the apk)

all the features of it work just fine, but the text is super small.

scroll by turning the ball, press mute to select.
there is currently no "back" so if you select something you don't want....reboot.

to install, first enable adb then reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock and follow the instructions

i would advise for the time being to just fastboot boot this, just in case an update comes out soon (tho you can easily back up the stock one, theres no reason to perma install cwm right now)

this is not for the faint of heart, nor anyone who doesn't wanna risk having a very stylish 300$ ball door stop.

to fix the font i've got to build a bigger fontset, (which is a pain).

if anyone can, let me know how to boot to recovery without adb. kinda need that before i can start making a nice device tree. and get full aosp on it (which is ENTIRELY possible from what i've seen). from there the goal is to get a custom launcher and whatnot going to easily navigate it.

rush out and grab a otg cable and usb hub as well. you're gonna need them for this to be a fully controllable device (thats how i've been able to do some of the things such as pull up and control the settings menu). if anyone wants to work with me on this - i would also like to get some kind of remote app to control over bluetooth rather than otg cables.

anyways, as i said - im not making this "easy" to install, rather im putting this out there for people who know what they are doing to try and help out with this project. if you are interested in helping out, pm me.

http://goo.im/devs/birdman/CWM-steelhead-beta.img

See less See more
#3 ·
To enter bootloader mode without resorting to adb simply plug in the devices and immediately cover the center led with your hand.
A few seconds later the ring will light up red and you can remove your hand.
The device should stay red and you are in bootloader mode.

#5 ·
Also, if you need to just flat out do a factory restore unplug the device. Plug it back in and put your hand over the center LED. The LED's will turn red. When that happened hold your hand there for about 10 seconds until the LED's change to purple/blue. You have successfully performed a factory reset.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey birdman, do you have this mirriored elsewhere? Before I start really ripping into it an easy backup method would go a long way.

EDIT:
nvrmnd, found a copy. Now have Q with launcher startup on boot, working wifi vnc/screencasting to pc and I'm only 15mins into hacking it. Once I get some more toys/tools working I'll start dev thread.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's saved my butt a couple times already. I'll look at writing a script and if can find somebody that's good with app writing, make it launchable that way. I'm also going to be doing a write up on the Q this weekend. Oh, what's the turnaround on dev status sumbissions?

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is going to be a fun device. heres a build of cwm that i've been working on. you can use it to root (just push the su binary, dont worry about the apk)

scroll by turning the ball, press mute to select.
there is currently no "back" so if you select something you don't want....reboot.

to install, first enable adb then reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock and follow the instructions

i would advise for the time being to just fastboot boot this, just in case an update comes out soon (tho you can easily back up the stock one, theres no reason to perma install cwm right now)

this is not for the faint of heart, nor anyone who doesn't wanna risk having a very stylish 300$ ball door stop.

if anyone can, let me know how to boot to recovery without adb. kinda need that before i can start making a nice device tree. and get full aosp on it (which is ENTIRELY possible from what i've seen). from there the goal is to get a custom launcher and whatnot going to easily navigate it.

rush out and grab a otg cable and usb hub as well. you're gonna need them for this to be a fully controllable device (thats how i've been able to do some of the things such as pull up and control the settings menu). if anyone wants to work with me on this - i would also like to get some kind of remote app to control over bluetooth rather than otg cables.

anyways, as i said - im not making this "easy" to install, rather im putting this out there for people who know what they are doing to try and help out with this project. if you are interested in helping out, pm me.

http://goo.im/devs/b...elhead-beta.img
Thanks Birdman for your time creating this.
The link for the Steelhead CWM img is still broken....
:-(
Could someone pleeease send me the CWM Steelhead img and also confirm file size?
The only one I found was on Dev-Host and the img was 4.59MB...
I'm sure its fine, just making sure I don't gain an extra doorstop.

Looking forward to making my doorstop into everything it CAN be...
Tablet UI,
&
XBMC for starters.

#13 ·
I'll repackage the oneclickrestore.zip I have in my ROM thread and include a copy of CWM. I'll make an "update" post to let you know it's done. It may be a couple days as, per usual, I'm spread a little thin and went back to work for Sprint again this week.

#14 ·
I know how to fix that (and have tested the fix on my Nexus Q).

The problem is the fb mapping to HDMI output, not the font.

I have PM'd you on the 4th Dec, with no response. Are you still maintaining this development, or should I create my own fixed version from scratch? I could not find where you had released your source repo or build instructions for the binary in this thread.

-- Rod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.