Android OS Forum banner

When does the Droid X get Jelly Bean (4.1) ROMs?

21K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  johnomaz 
#1 ·
I know the title sounds trolly, but I legitimately wanted to know if the devs are interested in developing 4.1 ROMs for the DX. Considering it's just now getting better on ICS, would it be worth it for devs to start developing JB ROMs? Do discuss and give me your opinions on this!

P.S. I'm not in any way demanding JB on my DX. I was just curious about people's opinions!

#3 ·
lmfao when u port it? ICS is just coming toghether as a daily driver.. and its a year after it more or less 200+ days after it came out

Reactions: Goose306
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
+1 to both of these. We have a long way to see ICS working fully, let alone Jelly Bean. Keep this in mind as far as this is concerned:

The DX originally had Eclair. It was then bumped to Froyo, then GB. All these were considered the "incremental" updates to Android i.e. they weren't important enough to denote entirely new whole version numbers (2.1, 2.2, 2.3)

4.0/ICS was/is not an incremental update. It was arguably the biggest update/change to happen to Android thus far. Since we don't get official ICS, its a massive pain in the arse to get it working, as our phone was never designed for that, and its also why porting it has turned into such a headache. Anyone that remembers when either the Froyo or Gingerbread leaks came out, they were not that big of a deal at all to port. Sure, some early ports had some kinks, but for the most part stuff was 90% sorted within a month or two. ICS may never come that way, it just is dependent on how much longer this device will stay alive. Sadly, many original adopters are/have moved on, as we are reaching the end of our contracts.

The DX still has a few things going for it though - there still is a metric shit-ton of people who have the phone, being as Moto knows how to build a solid phone, and they can be had cheap nowadays on eBay/Swappa. If someone breaks their other smartphone or is looking to move up to a smartphone without a contract or on the cheap, the DX is a great option going for about $75 on eBay for one in good condition and a clean ESN.

Anyways, what I'm eventually getting at here is Jellybean is 4.1, not 5.0. So its incremental. Mostly face-lift type stuff with some new features. OTA is already out for it, SDK is getting released shortly. What this means for the DX? It depends on how many developers are sticking around. Jellybean may be port-able, especially as incremental so there's not necessarily the massive overhaul that's necessary for ICS. But its still based on ICS... its an incremental upgrade from it. So, we still need working ICS, to have working Jelly Bean, is what it boils down to. And Jelly Bean will just be extra work on top of the working ICS.

tl;dr NewmanX and Beans are correct. Get working ICS first, then focus on the jelly beans if the development force is still intact for the DX.

#7 ·
i tried using usual porting methods n it was a massive fail lol first sbf ive had to do in many months
its not gonna work until we get full source libs/everything is gonna need to be redone.. and thats still a big if.. stick to ics its not gonna happen for a long time on the dx if it ever happens

#8 ·
I've been using ICS on my DroidX since January or so. It was stable enough to use but with bugs. For the past few months its definitely been a daily driver (since the camera got working). However, I don't ever see JB getting ported to the DroidX. The phone will be 2 years old in about 3 weeks and so many have moved on already and a ton will too when the S3 is released in a couple weeks...myself being one of them. If it does come to the DX, it will be very slow going though I would still love to see the DX get some JB love. It was my first Android phone and will be used as an off network device with wifi only soon.

Reactions: equaliz3r
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.