OP jcase

jcase

Rooter

• 241 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:34 PM #1

Root for ZTE z990g aka ZTE Merit
by jcase - jcase@cunninglogic.com - http://twitter.com/TeamAndIRC
June 16 2012 - Copyright 2012 CunningLogic
Do Not Distribute or republish without permission. (Sad that this is needed, but people/blogs like to profit off the work of others without credit)

Want to support my work? Donations are always appreciated, but never required:

https://www.paypal.c...d=LZ62YFU3XCEK8
Amazon Giftcards: jcase@cunninglogic.com

Required files:
http://dl.dropbox.co...chainsdd-su.zip

Unzip chaindsdd-su.zip and then get a shell with adb

adb shell

Set up the dirs, so shell owns them prior to logging. If shell does not own them then we can not control them. If the logs dir already exists, you may have to do a factory reset to remove them. They should not exist unless someone attempted this previously.

mkdir /data/local/logs
mkdir /data/local/logs/kernel

Open emode's logset activity. First button should be for enabling log set, enable it. Do not exit the activity, but if you do just repeat the below command.

am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.zte.emode/.logset

Confirm the log_kernel.txt file exists, if it does not wait a minute and check again.

ls -l /data/local/logs/kernel/log_kernel.txt

If it exists, delete it and immediately symlink it to /data/local.prop, logset may recreate it, if it does delete and try symlinking again.

rm /data/local/logs/kernel/log_kernel.txt
ln -s /data/local.prop /data/local/logs/kernel/log_kernel.txt

Now we want to wait for /data/local.prop to be created, it may take a minute or two. Keep checking until it exists.

ls -l /data/local.prop

Now once /data/local.prop exists, go back to the logset activity and disable logset. If you don't disable it, it will slowly eat away at all the disk space, and possibly overwrite the local.prop before you get root. Now lets set qemu=1 then reboot.

echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop

exit
adb reboot

Once you have rebooted, remount, install su.

adb remount
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb shell chown 0.0 /system/xbin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su

Clean up your mess!

adb shell rm /data/local.prop
adb shell rm -r /data/local/logs

Reboot, install the Superuser app from the market and enjoy

adb reboot

• 2 Likes
Please don't PM me here, I will not likely read it as I do not check often.

TheRealBeesley

TheRealBeesley

Supporting Member

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:25 PM #2

Thanks man. Gonna hook up dad up with this since the merit was the only android option he had on straight talk. Much appreciated.
  • 0 Likes
Contribute Often, Lurk Moar, and XDA Less.

TheRealBeesley

TheRealBeesley

Supporting Member

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:32 PM #3

Anybody gonna make an OC Kernel? ;) I'll be donating to jcase for root, and to whoever can overclock this thing!
  • 0 Likes

OP jcase

jcase

Rooter

• 241 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:26 PM #4

Anybody gonna make an OC Kernel? ;) I'll be donating to jcase for root, and to whoever can overclock this thing!

check gtalk
  • 0 Likes

TheRealBeesley

TheRealBeesley

Supporting Member

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:15 PM #5

check gtalk

I got back at ya buddy, but I'm in the middle of the woods, signal is spotty. I'll try ya later.
  • 0 Likes

bitshifter52

bitshifter52

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:51 PM #6

I have gone through this process three times to root my ZTE Merit Z990G from Straight Talk. Every step works as described but as soon as I start an app that uses SU it says the phone is not rooted. The app Root Check Basic says, "Sorry, this device does not have proper root access."

There may be some step not outlined in the procedure that I did not perform, but I cannot figure out what it would be. Any suggestions will be very appreciated. Once I know I have rooted this phone, I will make a cash contribution.

Edited by bitshifter52, 19 June 2012 - 12:52 PM.

• 0 Likes

OP jcase

jcase

Rooter

• 241 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:16 PM #7

run adb shell ls -l /system/xbin/su and past the output here.

I have gone through this process three times to root my ZTE Merit Z990G from Straight Talk. Every step works as described but as soon as I start an app that uses SU it says the phone is not rooted. The app Root Check Basic says, "Sorry, this device does not have proper root access."

There may be some step not outlined in the procedure that I did not perform, but I cannot figure out what it would be. Any suggestions will be very appreciated. Once I know I have rooted this phone, I will make a cash contribution.

• 0 Likes

Joey78

Joey78

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:23 AM #8

Please help I have went through all the steps but i get stuck on the reboot and adb remount. it remounts successfully but when i enter any of the next 3 commands i get cannot stat su no such file or directory. how do i continue past this? When i do remount and get an adb shell I have the pound sign instead of the dollar sign which i believe means i am root but the phone is not rooted. any help will be much appreciated thank you
  • 0 Likes

logikal

logikal

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:29 PM #9

I have the Straight Talk ZTE Merit Z990G, and have set up the device drivers properly using the drivers provided on the phone itself. I went to settings, application settings, development, and have checked all 3 boxes (USB debugging, Stay awake, and Allow mock locations). I have installed ADB in the location: C:\ADB. I opened CMD with administrative rights, and followed the instructions from top to bottom, in order. I have even attempted to copy and paste. The only line I changed was, "adb push su /system/xbin/su", to "adb push c:\su /system/xbin/su" because the su file was located directly on my C:\. My questions are: did I do the correct thing changing that line? Do I need to keep the su file in a folder called su, and move the folder with the file inside? Also, for "am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.zte.emode/.logset", what should dload and f3 logging be set to? I am new to rooting, and have tried doing this process literally over 30 times with no success. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong? If you need more info, please ask, and I will provide if possible. Thank you in advance!

Edit: I figured it out tonight. I had a brainstorm that maybe, because I originally had it in a folder called su, it was stored in the /system/xbin/su as a folder instead. I "cd /system/xbin/", and did a "ls". sure enough, there was a "su" folder. inside the "su" folder was a "su" file. I did a "rm /system/xbin/su/su", and then a "rmdir /system/xbin/su", and then adb reboot. I started from the beginning of the instructions, and voila, I got root. Thanks for the instructions!

Edited by logikal, 04 July 2012 - 07:51 PM.

• 0 Likes

ztemerit88

ztemerit88

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:04 PM #10

In trying to download the file using my merit and it keeps telling Mr download unsuccessful is there anyone who might know why

• 0 Likes