Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Intellij IDEA ~ IDE Discussion

• Please log in to reply

OP JBirdVegas

JBirdVegas

java code monkey

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:09 PM #1

First thanks Yarly for pointing me at this great IDE.

Ok so first let me say I was baffled when I first booted Intellij IDEA (.idea) and had a few issues.
the line endings didn't match the cursor caret
importing the Android support
and it simply hated it when I imported my entire source code

the first was a simple settings adjustment and in the process I learned how powerful the IDE was, really look through the java formatting and support.

the second was more simple than the IDE made it look. When you pull up the plugin manager all the options are checked. They are really just folders of categories of plugins (not sure what the check marks represent as you must specify each plugin within the next screen).

The last is a real problem for me (App devs can ignore this as the IDE handles standard app development with little config needed, java and sdk paths required). I as most ROM devs deal with lots of non standard calls to the frameworks. I've tried to import the entire source code and can not get the IDE to build anything (non rom dependent builds like butter).

But I have a more another concern with this IDE... the price granted the Communitity edition is free but I I just really love using .idea then the full price is $200 :-/ (Yarly says they run 50% off deals constantly however that is a large ticket for software, for most of us).

Look the IDE .idea does some amazing things and I would like to mention some of them so this doesn't appear to be a bitch fest as it isn't ment to be (I'm really just looking for help with the 3rd issue).

So what I'm loving:
full support for ant builds
autocomplete // yes almost all IDEs have this
lots of support for all Play exporting
formatting... the formatting options are amazing
GITHUB: This is the kicker once you configure your Github account you can checkout branches with simple clicks of the mouse

... I'm sure this .idea has lots of other features I have yet to discover however I'm limited... I must be able to import my entire source so I can use the nonstandard API's we have developed.

so I'm open to any discussion however if you know anything about importing the entire source let me know.

Thanks guys!!!

Edited by JBirdVegas, 12 June 2012 - 11:10 PM.

• 0 Likes

Show Your appreciation by clicking Thanks!

I co-maintain the droid2 branch of CyanogenMod, n00bware founder and lead developer and a developer for AOKP
my icon is custom artwork from ThaPHLASH

yarly

yarly

Just a noob that doesn't know what he's talking about

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:54 PM #2

the line endings didn't match the cursor caret

Guess I need a bit more info on what you're seeing versus what you are expecting there. I'm sure there's something that can be fixed with that.

importing the Android support

Android apps or Android OS? Apps are pretty easy, just point it to the proper android sdk and the correct java jdk.

and it simply hated it when I imported my entire source code

I've tried importing my code in there once and it took a while (I was doing it over a local network from my build box). It takes forever since it indexes everything and it sort of complicated on what to select. Let me try to work out a sample project for you to use as a template for that. Also may need to up the amount of ram dedicated to the JVM.

I also have some same defaults for inspections and other settings I can send if you like (as well as some different syntax color schemes I created). Liberation font monospace works great for it if you haven't tried it. It's nearly identical to the awesome Dina font (which is sadly only bitmap [swing doesnt support bitmap fonts] and the ttf versions of it suck).

But I have a more another concern with this IDE... the price granted the Communitity edition is free but I I just really love using .idea then the full price is $200 :-/ (Yarly says they run 50% off deals constantly however that is a large ticket for software, for most of us).

Yeah, the price is kind of a killer for it. The sales tend to happen at random times (I would check their blog, they update it often with how to use new features and have awesome support [I've submitted a bunch of various bugs to their tracker and they reply quickly and patch them in the next version]). They also have education discounts as well for students (which can be used on top of the 50% discount) and they also give away the version free for verified open source projects.

It takes a while to figure out all the features to intelij as well. Before I used that, I was using vim for python, Nusphere phped for php/html/js, and Eclipse for Java. It was kind of "content overload" with the number of features built in compared to those at first.

As for plugins, there are ones built in and ones you can grab from their repository. I tend to disable ones I don't need.

Unit testing built into it is also amazing if you ever use junit for unit testing. It shows on the fly what parts of your code are covered by unit tests and which parts arent, and also runs them all tests with a click of the button.

You can also import eclipse projects into it as well and there's a useful JAD plugin to reverse java code in the plugin repository.

Tapping /** (and pressing enter) on top of a method auto documents it like it does in eclipse as well. ctrl+click on any part of the code (fields, methods, properties, etc) will take you to the creation spot of them in the code, which is one of the nicest features. If you have the full intellij version, it also auto creates UML diagrams for all your code on the fly so you can visually see what you are developing.

If you use Google Talk JBird, PM me and I can send you my gmail for it. Probably easier than talking here. Though I'm also on freenode irc most of the time (usually #android-dev under yareally).
  • 0 Likes

OP JBirdVegas

JBirdVegas

java code monkey

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:29 AM #3

my gmail is my screenname I would be more subtle but at this point its publicly available jbirdvegas _at_ gmail and I would love to talk more about loading up the entire ROM.

and thanks for pointing out they give free licenses to open source projects I think today I'll apply for my license! After all our team is open source, active and have been for quite some time now :) and when else is that going to get me a free IDE?!?! haha thats great and I'll report back about if they grant my a license or not. If they do then all ROM contributors who match the prerequisites should apply.

What I was saying about the caret was say I have a line of code then blank line then another line pressing down from the top line wouldn't move the type cursor to actual line end it would instead move straight down and present the cursor on the blank line at the same horizontal position as the previous line even though that was beyond the actual line end... but it was in the settings and I found it pretty quickly.

my only real hangup is importing the entire code base for android :(
  • 0 Likes

Show Your appreciation by clicking Thanks!

I co-maintain the droid2 branch of CyanogenMod, n00bware founder and lead developer and a developer for AOKP
my icon is custom artwork from ThaPHLASH

yarly

yarly

Just a noob that doesn't know what he's talking about

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:35 PM #4

added
  • 0 Likes