Help from anyone who switched to GSM using Straight Talk

• Please log in to reply

OP tebower

tebower

Android Apprentice

• 215 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:17 PM #1

Hi all,

I am currently a Verizon GN customer. I am pretty unhappy with the crappy service in my area, both 3G and NO 4G. I took the plunge today and bought the GSM Galaxy Nexus straight from Google. I intend to use it with a Straight Talk AT&T Sim card. I am looking for some help with the steps I should take to port my number from Verizon and activate the ST SIM.

As I understand it, I can purchase the SIM card from the Straight Talk website and they will ship it to me. Upon arrival, then I activate it and port my number to ST? (or AT&T as the SIM provider?)

I'd like to have it all bootloader unlocked and ROMed up with AOKP before I start the activation process.

Can someone give any insights or clarify the steps that will be needed to get this working properly? Will there be settings I will need to configure manually to get data and MMS working properly, and how would I do that?

Thank you so much!

Edited by tebower, 12 June 2012 - 05:18 PM.

• 0 Likes

HumanXv2

HumanXv2

Average Android

• 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:09 PM #2

I just change apn to att.mvno.
I don't know about number porting since I didn't.

One piece of advice...leave the proxy field blank

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

untruestory

untruestory

Average Android

• 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:06 PM #3

Straight talk tells you the apn settings you need on their site as well as on the packaging for the SIM. Like the other guy said leave the proxy blank. There's an informational thread all about prepaid services for the GN over at xda that talks about ST as well as Tmo's $30/mo plan. Also says how to port your number to Google Voice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

Mikefrostlpn

Mikefrostlpn

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:31 PM #4

I really wish I had the conviction to switch to gsm. The ability to sim swap alone would be awesome but im spoiled by lte and the coverage. I'll just silently let them rob me until their voice over LTE comes to pass then they'll have to play by gsm rules

• 1 Likes
Follow me on Twitter @mikefrostlpn it increases your chances of seeing a Justin Bieber fan mauled by a Tiger.

Having a problem? Hit the Report Button.

Phaze08

Phaze08

Android Lover

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:16 AM #5

Im just too lazy to shell out $400 to buy a GSM Nexus but I think I would like this. A friend of mine has a fascinate on Straight talk (He did some slightly illegal modifications to it.) but he has a pretty good experience with them. There is no 4g in my area but there is supposed to be soon. Either way Ill be leaving Verizon as soon as I can in light of the new plans.
  • 0 Likes
What's black and white and red all over?
Posted Image
http://rootzwiki.com...ew-thread-here/ <-- Check out Linear Jb!

codesplice

codesplice

Good at breaking things

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:14 AM #6

Im just too lazy to shell out $400 to buy a GSM Nexus but I think I would like this. A friend of mine has a fascinate on Straight talk (He did some slightly illegal modifications to it.) but he has a pretty good experience with them. There is no 4g in my area but there is supposed to be soon. Either way Ill be leaving Verizon as soon as I can in light of the new plans.

When I moved to T-Mobile prepaid from AT&T postpaid, I was able to save about $50 each month. This means you could pay for that $400 phone in just 8 months without going out-of-pocket. Sure, you have to pay for it up front but you soon break even and then start raking in the savings. Just something to think about.
  • 0 Likes

OP tebower

tebower

Android Apprentice

• 215 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:40 PM #7

I am going to save a ton of cash. In addition to the upfront cost of a Nexus, I am considering paying my wife's ETF because we'd STILL save money over the cost of paying out her contract each month.

Verizon is really making a dumb move here, and I can only hope that people will wise up and make the financially smart decision. It's the only way carriers will ever get it through their greedy heads that their prices are beyond ridiculous. $50 for 1GB? Are people getting this???
  • 0 Likes

OP tebower

tebower

Android Apprentice

• 215 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:44 PM #8

I just change apn to att.mvno.
I don't know about number porting since I didn't.

One piece of advice...leave the proxy field blank

Where is this setting located on the Nexus?
  • 0 Likes

codesplice

codesplice

Good at breaking things

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:50 PM #9

Where is this setting located on the Nexus?

Settings - Wireless and networks - More - Mobile Network - Access Point Names
  • 0 Likes

BradM23

BradM23

Android Lover

• 105 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:42 PM #10

Hows the coverage with talk? What network does it use?
  • 0 Likes