Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Verizon killing grandfathered unlimited data June 28th

• Please log in to reply

PhantomGamers

PhantomGamers

Thunderstruck

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:09 PM #221

Actually I do pay for Home internet, and I don't tether.

If you need proof, I believe this will suffice:
http://stage.results...t/147046822.png

Verizon FIOS.

And I most certainly don't STEAL movies through my phone, nor music.
Have you ever heard of Netflix or Pandora?

Edited by PhantomGamers, 18 June 2012 - 05:10 PM.

• 0 Likes
[UNOFFICIAL] AOKP-JB d2vzw builds
Current Phone: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 i535 (d2vzw) (32GB/Blue)
Alternative Phone: Google/LGE Nexus 4 (mako) (16GB) (Soon to be T-Mobile) [Out of commission]
Current Tablet: HP Touchpad 32GB
Retired Phone: Verizon Motorola Droid 2 A955

rberry88

rberry88

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:23 PM #222

Xfinity == Verizon Fios?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

PhantomGamers

PhantomGamers

Thunderstruck

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:24 PM #223

Xfinity == Verizon Fios?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

No, I do not use Xfinity as my internet, I use them as a speedtest because they have the best servers.
  • 0 Likes
[UNOFFICIAL] AOKP-JB d2vzw builds
Current Phone: Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 i535 (d2vzw) (32GB/Blue)
Alternative Phone: Google/LGE Nexus 4 (mako) (16GB) (Soon to be T-Mobile) [Out of commission]
Current Tablet: HP Touchpad 32GB
Retired Phone: Verizon Motorola Droid 2 A955

Goose306

Goose306

Goosie Pizzle

• 2,582 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:52 AM #224

Its always the same argument from you Mega data whores .I don't wanna pay for home internet. You say you don't tether, ever, I happen to believe you are being less than truthful. I have been hearing it for years. You were all warned this would happen if you didnt stop. They put in detection and data logging and you persevered and kept on rolling like a baller. (With no internet) you are an self serving douche that thinks the rules don't apply to them. And now. "I will use even more data and sacrifice everyone's speed anywhere near me stealing movies and music" and to parry they will change the t.o.s. and force everyone off of unlimited. We were supposed to keep unlimited for life but you could not leave well enough alone you just had to steal. I don't need to hear the buffet reference again or any of your self serving "reasons" they are all excuses to not have to earn your way through life. Let me guess your parents told you that you were special and rules did not apply to you. I would imagine that the words common courtesy means nothing to you either.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LOLS. You realize that USB tethering=same thing, just less convenient? And has ALWAYS worked, AND not been blocked by TOS?

I tether, and have home internet via Optimum 15 mbps. I use WIFI at home. But if I'm on a vacation I may use it as needed, and when I was still in college I would use it at the Library since campus WIFI had worse speed than my 3G. My highest usage, ever, was 6 GB a month, which was this month, as I was moving and had a week without home internet until Optimum could come out and reinstall me. On average on 3G I use around 100-200 MB a month when I don't have one of these special circumstances.

Root users make up less than 1% of Android users. Tether users are probably 10% or less of those users, for those who are "abusing" it, as you say. This is not a business concern anyways, as they can throttle these users (at least on 3G). The percentage of those who USB tether exceeds those who WIFI tether I am positive, and this isn't against TOS.

So, thus your argument holds no water. In reality, there is a few things going on here. First, the "unlimited" model is unsustainable from a business standpoint. This is Business 101. While a great way to build the user base, the network cannot sustain a feasibly unlimited number of users, using an unlimited amount of data, all at a fixed price point. Its simply not possible. This is why the US is the *only* country to have carriers that did this. Carriers in other countries simply went with a different model, not based on contracts, subsidies, and "unlimited". I see the US slowly migrating to this model, as Verizon said recently they would start allowing SIM spec'd phones on their network (or at least phones not designed for their network).

With that being said, the second factor is some greed. While there is theoretical limits, I highly doubt Verizon is hitting the ceiling, so to speak, what with their record profits. But as businesses trend towards this direction, and they can make more profits off of it, they would be absolutely idiotic not too.

Now, you can make a pissy fit, but honestly it is business nowadays, the industry is moving that way, and regardless of where you lay the blame you cannot deny that fact. Verizon is a for-profit company, their old model was unsustainable, and there was a new model that makes them more money. While I personally don't like it either, as a Verizon consumer (and why I pre-ordered the GS3), I can't say I blame them or wouldn't do it as well.

Now,
/rant

Sent from my liquidMIUI!

Edited by Goose306, 19 June 2012 - 08:55 AM.

• 1 Likes

motcher41

motcher41

Android Lover

• 143 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:27 PM #225

LOLS. You realize that USB tethering=same thing, just less convenient? And has ALWAYS worked, AND not been blocked by TOS?

I tether, and have home internet via Optimum 15 mbps. I use WIFI at home. But if I'm on a vacation I may use it as needed, and when I was still in college I would use it at the Library since campus WIFI had worse speed than my 3G. My highest usage, ever, was 6 GB a month, which was this month, as I was moving and had a week without home internet until Optimum could come out and reinstall me. On average on 3G I use around 100-200 MB a month when I don't have one of these special circumstances.

Root users make up less than 1% of Android users. Tether users are probably 10% or less of those users, for those who are "abusing" it, as you say. This is not a business concern anyways, as they can throttle these users (at least on 3G). The percentage of those who USB tether exceeds those who WIFI tether I am positive, and this isn't against TOS.

So, thus your argument holds no water. In reality, there is a few things going on here. First, the "unlimited" model is unsustainable from a business standpoint. This is Business 101. While a great way to build the user base, the network cannot sustain a feasibly unlimited number of users, using an unlimited amount of data, all at a fixed price point. Its simply not possible. This is why the US is the *only* country to have carriers that did this. Carriers in other countries simply went with a different model, not based on contracts, subsidies, and "unlimited". I see the US slowly migrating to this model, as Verizon said recently they would start allowing SIM spec'd phones on their network (or at least phones not designed for their network).

With that being said, the second factor is some greed. While there is theoretical limits, I highly doubt Verizon is hitting the ceiling, so to speak, what with their record profits. But as businesses trend towards this direction, and they can make more profits off of it, they would be absolutely idiotic not too.

Now, you can make a pissy fit, but honestly it is business nowadays, the industry is moving that way, and regardless of where you lay the blame you cannot deny that fact. Verizon is a for-profit company, their old model was unsustainable, and there was a new model that makes them more money. While I personally don't like it either, as a Verizon consumer (and why I pre-ordered the GS3), I can't say I blame them or wouldn't do it as well.

Now,
/rant

Sent from my liquidMIUI!

I use 10GB+ of data on 3G monthly and I never ever tether. If I did it would be about the same. As for I don't want home internet...I cannot get it. I live in the sticks and don't have anything available but dial up and sat. Both are pointless.
Don't assume just become some of us choose to use our phones to their fullest that we steal tethering.
After all even if we did...its the same data we get charged for we just get charged extra to attach it to a computer.
Tethering should be free...unlimited data should always be an option. I just don't get why someone would even have a smart phone and not use it.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

t_rob76

t_rob76

• 63 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:48 AM #226

My eligible upgrade date was today, luckily i kept unlimited data and got the SG III pre-ordered. I don't use much data about 1.5 gigs max, but who knows what it will be in a year or two, especially with a phone that is faster and does more than my D2G
  • 1 Likes
Devices:
Verizon Galaxy S III - Sprint build.prop (Google Wallet FTW)
Verizon Droid2Global - Retired
T-Mobile G2 - had it for 5 days, had to switch carriers.
T-Mobile G1 - Retired

orkillakilla

orkillakilla

WTF YOU LOOKIN AT!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:49 PM #227

Luckly my boss is getting me a GSIII and told me not to worry about data for my work phone.

My personal phone has unlimited data... for now. I'll be leaving Verizon at the end of my contract.

I know eventually all carriers will have some form of tiered data plans. That's not the only reason I'm leaving.

It's all the other little bullcrap things they are pulling. Like ending the new ever 2 and early upgrades. Trying to charge people $2 to pay their bill online (how could they even dare trying to charge ME to take MY money.... good thing that didn't go through, but the fact that they tried it pissed me off beyond belief.)

Also, charging for minor scratches and dings on warranty replacements, and only giving a few days to return a warranty phone.....

All this just pisses me off. Will I find a carrier that won't do this to me? Probably not. But at least I'd be paying a little less per month...
  • 0 Likes
If I've helped you in some way, hit the "Thanks" button!
Follows me on Twitter: @orkillakilla

KillaSense for the ThunderBolt

potatoboy

potatoboy

Android Beginner

• 158 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:16 PM #228

]

Luckly my boss is getting me a GSIII and told me not to worry about data for my work phone.

My personal phone has unlimited data... for now. I'll be leaving Verizon at the end of my contract.

I know eventually all carriers will have some form of tiered data plans. That's not the only reason I'm leaving.

It's all the other little bullcrap things they are pulling. Like ending the new ever 2 and early upgrades. Trying to charge people $2 to pay their bill online (how could they even dare trying to charge ME to take MY money.... good thing that didn't go through, but the fact that they tried it pissed me off beyond belief.)

Also, charging for minor scratches and dings on warranty replacements, and only giving a few days to return a warranty phone.....

All this just pisses me off. Will I find a carrier that won't do this to me? Probably not. But at least I'd be paying a little less per month...

I'm bored and stumbled back in here. quick fact check:
Bill payment was on credit cards only for one time payments. if you did automatic payments or used the checking account that 90% of "Credit Card" users have behind the debit card they use to pay bills there was no charge.
There is no "minor scratch" charge. If the phone is with serious damage you pay, there's no per scratch fee. and you get 30 days before you actually get charged, and if you return the replacement within 150 days the charge would be refunded.
Losing NE2 does suck. that's no so much a vzw thing as a industry wide "how the hell do we stop these ridiculous subsidies" thing. That's the reason everyone has an upgrade fee and the reason why tmobile has their wacky device pricing schemes. yes, everyone will follow suit in some way or another. It's not a feasible business model to give people unlimited access to a limited resource and deep discounts on the device used to access it.
  • 0 Likes