Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Verizon killing grandfathered unlimited data June 28th

• Please log in to reply

OP miketoasty

miketoasty

Android Addict

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:29 AM #1

If you are on Verizon and are grandfathered into an unlimited data plan this is worth a read:

http://cnet.co/Jel0xa
  • 0 Likes

Burncycle

Burncycle

I solve problems

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:32 AM #2

ughhhhhhhhhh
  • 0 Likes
Rom: Jellybro Kernel: Tiny Kernel 1.5. Pretty android savvy. Ask me anything if you need help and hit the thanks button!
Posted ImageWPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zwade01

zwade01

Average Android

• 272 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:38 AM #3

In a twisted way, it's almost a relief for me. Basically, it's the only thing keeping me holding onto VZW. Now with this, and being hooked on a Nexus, I can move freely to another carrier with the next Nexus without feeling like I'm giving up a whole lot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 6 Likes

brkshr

brkshr

Nexus 5

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:39 AM #4

This does upset me... but I think that as long as they honor their unlimited data plan through the life of the contract that we agreed to, then what they are doing shouldn't be that big of a deal. Although, I don't see them doing it that way. I think that, that would be the honorable thing to do.

Edited by brkshr, 16 May 2012 - 10:40 AM.

• 0 Likes

Nexus 5 - Stock 4.2.2 - Rooted

Nexus 7(13) - Stock 4.2.2 - Rooted

Spaniard85

Spaniard85

Air Force Android

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:42 AM #5

In a twisted way, it's almost a relief for me. Basically, it's the only thing keeping me holding onto VZW. Now with this, and being hooked on a Nexus, I can move freely to another carrier with the next Nexus without feeling like I'm giving up a whole lot.

Agreed. Once we buy a house (soon), I'm pretty much up for any carrier that works well enough. I still don't depend on LTE, since it mostly just seems like a battery killer at the moment. I don't really NEED it in daily use, and most of my big downloads are done via wifi.
  • 0 Likes
Yes, I used to work for VZW. Ask me anything.

VZW Galaxy Nexus - Unofficial AOKP Nightlies

kevmueller

kevmueller

Average Android

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:43 AM #6

My first reaction was like fine, I will find a different carrier. After thinking about it, this will depend what they want to change me to. Right now we have 3 data phones on our plan 1 3G and 2 4G, In the last 4 months on average I use 7.8 GB, my wife uses 6.2 GB and my son on 3G still uses 3.5 GB, so double that when he gets 4G. So we are using 21 GB a month. If they said look you can have a family plan with 25GB a month for $75, I would save $15. Now if they say you can have 20GB for $100, well that will cost me more and I would move to another carrier.

I would think this would break anyone's TOS if they just go and want to change this so we should be able to leave with no fees. Only bad thing is if they start doing this on contract dates we have 5 phones all with different dates.

Edited by kevmueller, 16 May 2012 - 10:45 AM.

• 0 Likes

Goose306

Goose306

Goosie Pizzle

• 2,581 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:44 AM #7

Spotted this over @DXF - thought there is probably a lot of people here who might want to have a heads up, as a lot of us are either coming up shortly or are sitting on contract renewals/upgrades:

http://mobile.thever...ta-lte-upgrades

Starting sometime "mid-summer" Verizon will force customer's taking LTE upgrades to move off of unlimited data. No specific date yet, and no word on whether they will force those currently on an unlimited LTE contract to tiered packages (I'd assume not, as I'm pretty sure that'd be a breach of contract as they already signed up for the unlimited LTE package). However, pretty much every smartphone that is available now is 4G LTE capable, and you have to take a 4G package, even if its not available in your area and won't be for a long time (the specific situation I'm in)

My upgrade comes on June 10th. I've been sitting on it thinking of options like the SIII coming up. But with no final date on that, and Verizon just announcing they will be axing unlimited for anyone doing upgrades sometime this summer (and I really wouldn't be surprised if it was the same as the release date on the SIII or something like that... that seems like a Verizon move) , I might be swinging towards a GNex just so I can get my feet in before the gate closes, so to speak.
  • 0 Likes

poontab

poontab

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:46 AM #8

Threads merged & moved to Verizon carrier discussion.
  • 2 Likes

dadsterflip

dadsterflip

Android Lover

• 919 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:47 AM #9

I think this relates to people that's on a 3g phone upgrading to a 4g phone.
Which they force you to a shared plan.
But what about people who are on the 4g plans already? He did say eventually everybody will be on a shared data plan...

• 0 Likes

swagmonster

swagmonster

Android Beginner

• 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:49 AM #10

Don't they HAVE to wait until the end of the contract because well....its a contract if they can charge us a bull early termination fee they should have to hold up their end right?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes