1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Is obtaining root possible without a computer?

• Please log in to reply

OP Gene_Bailey

Gene_Bailey

Android Beginner

• 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:44 PM #1

]I have heard that using GLaDOS Control its possible to unlock and lock the bootloader on a Galaxy Nexus. So.. Here's my situation lol I don't have a computer at the moment. I'm going to be ordering a G-Nex shortly and I need root and unlocked bootloader.. I remember some devices (like my old G2 and GS1) you could temp root from the device via an app or terminal emulator commands and downloaded packages and then perm root through more commands in terminal emulator.

Is it possible for such a thing to be possible with the G-Nex? Gain temp root through terminal emulator commands and downloaded files and then use GLaDOS Control to unlock the bootloader, then download ROM manager and flash CWM, then download the SU and busy box binaries and flash them through CWM, and then enjoy my Nexus?

Or am I just shooting blindly in the dark? I really want CM9 and MIUI and maybe to try AOKP as I've heard so much about it.. But without a computer that seems impossible! :-(

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

TYPE M GTS-t

TYPE M GTS-t

Nexus Flashaholic

• 276 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:41 PM #2

You must have a friend that has a computer? When my phone bricked while I was out of town I went to the apple store and restored back to stock.

Edited by TYPE M GTS-t, 02 June 2012 - 07:43 PM.

• 6 Likes

blaineevans

blaineevans

su

• 2,292 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:48 PM #3

You must have a friend that has a computer? When my phone bricked while I was out of town I went to the apple store and restored back to stock.

Hahaha.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Edited by blaineevans, 02 June 2012 - 07:55 PM.

• 0 Likes

jellybellys

jellybellys

Android Guru

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:46 PM #4

The only way I could thing of doing it without a computer is if you have an android device with a USB port on it (such as the Acer Iconia A500) you could always do a fastboot oem unlock from there within a terminal emulator.
  • 0 Likes

JBirdVegas

JBirdVegas

java code monkey

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:14 PM #5

The only way I could thing of doing it without a computer is if you have an android device with a USB port on it (such as the Acer Iconia A500) you could always do a fastboot oem unlock from there within a terminal emulator.

However fast boot would have to be compiled for arm arch... and I don't think the source is available, but if the source is available the it could be ported. I don't know of anyone who has done it, but I assume with come code love it could work.
  • 0 Likes

Show Your appreciation by clicking Thanks!

I co-maintain the droid2 branch of CyanogenMod, n00bware founder and lead developer and a developer for AOKP
my icon is custom artwork from ThaPHLASH

nklenchik

nklenchik

I Love Lamp

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:46 PM #6

Post of the week right here haha surprised the "geniuses" didn't come over snickering at your phone
  • 0 Likes
Posted Image

TYPE M GTS-t

TYPE M GTS-t

Nexus Flashaholic

• 276 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:14 PM #7

Post of the week right here haha surprised the "geniuses" didn't come over snickering at your phone

Ha yeah I was there for a little while downloading the files. When I started running terminal commands one guy asked if I was hacking apple and to please leave. I just explained that I was jailbreaking my phone
  • 0 Likes

JBirdVegas

JBirdVegas

java code monkey

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:42 PM #8

Figures an apple "genius" has never seen the command line... yup the command line's soul use is hacking, good work boys.
  • 0 Likes

I co-maintain the droid2 branch of CyanogenMod, n00bware founder and lead developer and a developer for AOKP

jellybellys

jellybellys

Android Guru

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:47 PM #9

However fast boot would have to be compiled for arm arch... and I don't think the source is available, but if the source is available the it could be ported. I don't know of anyone who has done it, but I assume with come code love it could work.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1447727
fastbootarm
  • 0 Likes

JBirdVegas

JBirdVegas

java code monkey

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:48 PM #10

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1447727
fastbootarm

Well there you go... that's neat I may need to investigate this further thanks for the link
  • 0 Likes