Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Phone only charging when off?

• Please log in to reply

OP extremx

extremx

Average Android

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:24 AM #1

So, out of the blue my Nexus will (most of the time) only charge when the phone is off. If i plug in my official charge cable or any of the other 30 cables i have most of the time it will not charge. BUT, if i leave the cable plugged in and shut the phone off it starts charging like i would expect it to.

I'm running Liquidsmooth 1.4, 3.0.8-franco.kernel-nightly-384GPU kernel. Installed LiquidSmooth on the 21st. This issue started about a week ago. ~26th of may.

In searching i found other people with similar issues, some have said it is software, some battery, cable, plug, dirt, etc. I've tried all the hardware stuff that i am able to. So before i flash back to stock and take it to verizon, is there some software i can check? I have erased the battery stats once, and it then it was charging like a champ... until i took it off the charger and used it again.

Thanks,
  • 0 Likes

NatemZ

NatemZ

Kitten Punter

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:30 AM #2

So, out of the blue my Nexus will (most of the time) only charge when the phone is off. If i plug in my official charge cable or any of the other 30 cables i have most of the time it will not charge. BUT, if i leave the cable plugged in and shut the phone off it starts charging like i would expect it to.

I'm running Liquidsmooth 1.4, 3.0.8-franco.kernel-nightly-384GPU kernel. Installed LiquidSmooth on the 21st. This issue started about a week ago. ~26th of may.

In searching i found other people with similar issues, some have said it is software, some battery, cable, plug, dirt, etc. I've tried all the hardware stuff that i am able to. So before i flash back to stock and take it to verizon, is there some software i can check? I have erased the battery stats once, and it then it was charging like a champ... until i took it off the charger and used it again.

Thanks,

sounds similar to an issue I had. Probably usb hardware failure. Get it back to stock before it dies completely
  • 0 Likes

OP extremx

extremx

Average Android

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:06 AM #3

Bummer.

I'll start my back-up and move-offs. :/
  • 0 Likes

CoolRalph

CoolRalph

Android Apprentice

• 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:07 PM #4

Same thing happened to me I had to get it replaced

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

blaine07

blaine07

Android Beginner

• 204 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:38 PM #5

Not sure how comfortable you are with opening phone but for me was answer. New charging port board was $30
& a breeze to swap out.. if you want more info let me know. Exactly what mine was doing before I replaced board...
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

OP extremx

extremx

Average Android

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:53 AM #6

blaine07, If my phone wasn't under a no-cost warranty i would. At this point i will just do a warranty swap and be done. Thanks for the input though.
  • 0 Likes

blaine07

blaine07

Android Beginner

• 204 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:21 PM #7

blaine07, If my phone wasn't under a no-cost warranty i would. At this point i will just do a warranty swap and be done. Thanks for the input though.

Yea, mine was probably under warranty too but rooted and all set up how I want I just decided to fix myself. I hope they get you all taken care of though.

• 0 Likes

nativi

nativi

Android Addict

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:27 PM #8

Yea, mine was probably under warranty too but rooted and all set up how I want I just decided to fix myself. I hope they get you all taken care of though.

Mind sharing I want to know more my charging port seems to be a bit big for all of my cables. I got it used. And with no original charger got one off of Amazon that seems legit and charges it faster while the screen is on. But I'm thinking that the port is stretched out. Was wondering if there was a fix to get it back to a more normal tight fit.

• 0 Likes

darkpark

darkpark

Android Apprentice

• 154 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:32 PM #9

the fact that it charges at all makes me think that's it's a software problem.
take note of your battery level, boot into recovery than let it charge for 15 to 20 minutes. After that, boot back into your ROM and check your battery.
If it charged than it could indicate something in the rom (or kernel) is the problem.

• 1 Likes

blaine07

blaine07

Android Beginner

• 204 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:20 PM #10

the fact that it charges at all makes me think that's it's a software problem.
take note of your battery level, boot into recovery than let it charge for 15 to 20 minutes. After that, boot back into your ROM and check your battery.
If it charged than it could indicate something in the rom (or kernel) is the problem.

FWIW when mine had broken/screwed up charging port with phone off and plugged in charging screen would momentarily flash on/off but never charged...dunno why though.

• 0 Likes