Rate this Topic

5 votes

My VZW GNex Settings For Battery Life Thread

• Please log in to reply

OP brkshr

brkshr

Nexus 5

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:43 PM #1

(Update 9/28/12: My screenshots were on the Kernel, ROM & Radios that are listed. Obviously, many things have changed as far as OS/ROMs/kernels/radios, since this thread was created. Pretty much everything else in this post is still relevant. I hope this continues to help many. Thanks!)

Hey guys & gals! I've posted my battery life saving techniques so many times, that I figured I would just start a thread to keep updated and link back to. They will be listed (somewhat) in what I consider order of importance for battery life. As always, this is what works best for ME. You may have to adjust some things for your phone. YMMV. Hope this helps some of you!

Network signal strength is a huge battery factor, that separates all of us. We will never get the same battery life as another for this reason. The only thing we can do, is try the different radios available and see what works best for you.

CDMA only - I do not have LTE in my area. If you don't get LTE in your area, this is a must battery saving technique. There's no reason for your phone to be searching for a signal you can't get. (Settings>Wireless & Networks - more...>Mobile networks>Network mode)

Kernel: Latest Imoseyon LeanKernel Stable- Based on Android Kernel 4.0.4
ROM: Latest LiquidSmooth - Android Version 4.0.4
Radios: Latest 4.0.4 radios (FC04/FC05)

CPU Clock: 350mhz min - 1200 mhz max
Governor: Interactive (I notice no difference in battery life between Int & IntX. IntX lags on a couple graphics heavy games on my phone)
Undervolt: Kernel default. Voltages are automatically controlled by Texas Instruments OMAP SmartReflex (only certain kernels have this). The exact values can be seen in terminal emulator: type 'su', then type 'checkv'

CM10 Jelly Bean Color Multipliers Tuning:

This essentially does the same thing as lowering your auto-brightness levels. Settings > Advanced > Color Multipliers Tuning > Dark sett. Until developers get the cm9 auto-brightness settings incorporated into CM10, I will be using this to save on battery. (Thanks 'poontab' for bringing this to my attention) (Edit: CM10 Automatic Backlight settings are available & working properly now. See below)

CM9/CM10 Automatic Backlight Settings: (Screen brightness is set to Automatic brightness)
  • Light Sensor Filter - Enabled Checked
  • Window Length - 10 s (change to 5 s if you want a quicker backlight response)
  • Reset Threshold - Disabled
  • Sample Interval - 5 s (change to 10 s if you want to use less battery)
  • Light Levels - Use Custom checked
  • Screen dim level - 1
  • Edit other levels - See Attached Pics
  • Allow light decrease - Checked
  • Decrease hysteresis - 50%
If the "Edit other levels" settings are too dim for you, I suggest going into a completely dark room (or closet) & set the first level as low as you want. Then go down the column & adjust the other levels accordingly. You can also look at the sensor/screen figures at the top & adjust the corresponding level to your liking. Or just add ~5 to 10 to each value, but the last.

Liquid Control settings:
  • General: Check Android Bugmailer (to disable)
  • Propmodder: Wifi scan interval - set to 270 (or more/less if you like, this is also in your build.prop settings on any ROM) ; Check in service - checked (to disable system usage data sent to Google) ; Disable logcat - checked ; Sdcard speed hack - 2048 kb
Google Now
  • Location reporting: These services are activated when you first enable Google Now & seem to be the biggest battery hog for Google Now services. These are not in the Google Now settings. They are in settings > Accounts: Google > Maps & Latitude. You can either 'Set your location' or select 'Do not update you location'. This will keep Google Now from polling your GPS (or network) every so often. BUT, this will hamper some of Google Now's location based features. It's up to you if the battery saving is worth it or not.
  • Turn off as many services in the Google Now settings as you can. If you're not one to travel, get rid of those. If you don't follow team sports, get rid of those. Etc, etc... (Google Now > Action menu at bottom (three dots) > Google Now > go down the list & disable as many as you can)
  • Turning off GPS will now save a good amount of battery because of constant Google Now usage in the background.
Other battery saving techniques I use or have used:
  • Use Wifi as much as possible
  • Turn off Bluetooth if not in use
  • Turn off GPS if you don't need it. Starting with Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), Google Now checks your GPS frequently.
  • Turn off NFC if you don't use it
  • Logout of Google Talk if you don't use it
  • Turn off Google photos sync in Gallery if you don't use it (same thing as unchecking Sync Google Photos in your Google acct)
  • Uncheck any services you don't need synced for your Google account (Settings > Accounts & Sync > select your Google account). I have Browser, Google Photos, Google+ & Sync Instant Upload unchecked.
  • Uncheck Dial pad touch tones, Touch sounds, Screen lock sound, Vibrate on touch
  • Adjust individual app data intervals to the max that is acceptable for you. (ex. I set tweetdeck to check manually. I don't need notifications for twitter, I check when I want to. Or, if you set it to check hourly, instead of every 15 minutes, that's a fourth of the power being used by that app)
  • Underclocking - When I know I'll be away from a charger for a long time (like camping/hiking) I underclock to 920 mhz (leankernel). The lag is really not bad at all. Almost daily driver worthy. Many people keep their phone underclocked at 1024 mhz, on kernels that have that frequency available. The lag is barely noticeable & will save a good amount of battery.
  • AOKP Powersaver feature - basically allows you to set data to check in at specific intervals &/or turn data off with screen off. If you don't need push notifications, you should use this & set to the longest intervals that work for you. (I don't use this)
  • Solid black wallpaper (The more black in your wallpaper, the better) I use a picture on my lockscreen so my phone is not totally bland.
  • Inverted GApps - The more that black is used the better.
Other Notes:
  • With the introduction of Google Now, GPS is being used a ton more in the background. Pre-Google Now, leaving GPS on was fine. Now you can save some good battery life by turning it off or turning off Google Now. You can also try these GPS settings http://rootzwiki.com...axy-nexus-cdma/ This can help a tiny bit with battery life when gps is used. The faster gps can lock onto satellites, the less power it will use just searching for a signal.
  • I use the stock battery. I didn't notice a big difference with the Samsung extended battery.
  • If your not downloading or streaming something on 4G, you can save some battery life by using CDMA only.
  • Check your running apps to see what is always running in the background. Settings>Apps> Running. If you feel there is an app that is running for no good reason, check the settings in the app or find a comparable app in the play store. (ex. If i have a widget for slacker radio, that app is always running. Pandora radio does not always run when there is a widget present. I like slacker better though, so I do without the widget)
  • Apps, such as betterbatterystats, can help you solve what is eating your battery.
  • Buy a spare battery or the Samsung spare battery charger that includes a standard battery.
  • Some people swear that using manual screen brightness settings will give you better battery life, because the auto brightness is not checking the sensor & adjusting the level constantly. I notice no difference at all in battery life (while using the cm9 auto-brightness settings) with either setting & auto brightness is just so convenient.
  • You want Google's location service to be on. This uses wifi & mobile networks to get a location, using less power than gps (Settings>Location services) Some apps still insist on using gps though, which is more accurate.
  • Some people like to use apps, such as Juice Defender or Tasker, to control data sync as well as other settings that can improve battery life. I get decent battery life without these.
  • I ran several benchmarking tests (leankernel only) on 920, 1200, 1350, 1520 & 1650mhz clock speeds. 1200mhz & 1350mhz speeds are the only speeds that give a comparable clock speed to performance ratio. This means that raising the clock speed from 1200 to 1350mhz (or 12.5%), gave me a 12.5% increase in perfomance. Anything higher/lower & you get less performance compared to the increase/decrease in speed.
Thanks

CM9/CM10 Automatic Backlight Settings (These values will vary depending on the values your ROM/Kernel has set for Color Multipiers & Gamma)

My latest, even dimmer values.

Very dim & lower/upper values are stock.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My past values. Brighter and a little more aggressive each step up. Notice the lower/upper values are changed as well.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

A few of my battery life examples:
With good reception:
http://rootzwiki.com..._d/#entry706590
http://rootzwiki.com..._20#entry707005
http://rootzwiki.com...110#entry716133

With bad reception:
http://rootzwiki.com...110#entry724377

Edited by brkshr, 15 January 2013 - 10:16 AM.

• 23 Likes

Nexus 5 - Stock 4.2.2 - Rooted

Nexus 7(13) - Stock 4.2.2 - Rooted

KayC94

KayC94

Android Lover

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:20 PM #2

Freaking love you
  • 0 Likes

OP brkshr

brkshr

Nexus 5

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:44 PM #3

Battery life so far today...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Swyped from my GNex

Edited by brkshr, 26 May 2012 - 01:47 PM.

• 0 Likes

kbomb

kbomb

• 25 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:46 PM #4

awesome bro

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • 0 Likes

russphil

russphil

Android Lover

• 121 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:33 PM #5

Battery life so far today...

Posted ImagePosted Image

Swyped from my GNex

And this is the stock battery?
  • 0 Likes

OP brkshr

brkshr

Nexus 5

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:38 PM #6

And this is the stock battery?

Yep

Swyped from my GNex
  • 0 Likes

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Android Guru

• 1,548 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:06 PM #7

Just applied the brightness settings and my screen is much darker now. I can see this helping.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 0 Likes

OP brkshr

brkshr

Nexus 5

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:27 PM #8

Just applied the brightness settings and my screen is much darker now. I can see this helping.

If they are too dim for you, I just edited the OP, to show how to change them to your liking.

Swyped from my GNex
  • 0 Likes

Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

Android Guru

• 1,548 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:38 PM #9

If they are too dim for you, I just edited the OP, to show how to change them to your liking.

Swyped from my GNex

Thanks. I'll test it out.

I am also testing the power saver mode within the Franco kernel app, anyone have experience with this? What does it do?

• 0 Likes

cowsquad

cowsquad

Super User

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:39 PM #10

Nice guide bro. Cheers and thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
  • 0 Likes