1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

[RELEASE][RECOVERY] CWM Ported to Revolution 4G!

• Please log in to reply

OP thecubed

thecubed

Developer

• 28 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:21 AM #1

Howdy all you guys!
To you, I present ClockworkMod Recovery on the LG Revolution 4G

After many hours of late-night coding and testing by some fearless testers who, without though for their device's safety, allowed me to test building ClockworkMod Recovery despite the fact that I don't actually own this device! :kiss:

First of all, let me get a few things out of the way:

Credits:
Special thanks to the following people for helping out in one way or another...

• Majorpay
  • birdman
  • Nemith
  • Fattire
  • STACKS (initial testing)
  • Koush / CyanogenMod team for ClockworkMod

Super special thanks to those who've donated so far!

General Information
This is BETA software! There are no guarantees that this won't instabrick your device. That's not to say it hasn't been tested, but if you happen to not follow directions or just have bad luck in general, I can't be blamed for your misfortune.

Please note, this software has been tested to ensure it's safe to install, however, features like nandroid backup and restore have not been tested. If you do choose to do a nandroid restore, please be aware that it may not work.

Requirements
To use this, you must:

• be rooted
  • have ADB shell access to your phone; and
  • be able to follow directions EXACTLY

Downloads
To download the first release of ClockworkMod Recovery for the LG Revolution 4G, use the following download links:

[SERVER 1] http://bit.ly/iVa1Kx
[SERVER 2] https://github.com/d...-cwm-pr1.tar.gz

# md5sum recovery-cwm-pr1.img
a1c61d06fa0f029411cf4cde44639b3f recovery-cwm-pr1.img
Check md5sum before flashing!

Instructions
This is what everyone's been waiting for, isn't it?
You sure you don't want to take a jog, or get some fresh air first?
Okay. You're sure. I won't try to change your mind.
I will, however admonish you-- follow these directions EXACTLY.
If you don't, I can't guarantee that your phone will work afterwords.

• To begin, download the .tar.gz file from the above links, and extract it somewhere easy, like c:\android (on windows) or ~/android (on linux/OSX)
  • Let's check the md5sum of the extracted file.
    If you're in linux, run
    md5sum recovery-cwm-pr1.img
    It should match EXACTLY the md5sum posted under the download link. If it doesn't STOP. You have either not extracted it correctly or the download was bad. Try again until you get the correct md5sum.
    If you're on windows, you'll have to find a md5sum application to download.
  • Once you've got the file extracted correctly, we need to copy it to your phone.
    You can either put it on your SD card using the storage mode over usb, or through ADB.
    If you choose to do it through ADB, just use
    adb push <path/to>/recovery-cwm-pr1.img /sdcard/
    Make SURE that you copy the .img file, not the .tar.gz file!
  • After you have the recovery copied to your SDcard, it's time to install it on your phone.
    ADB shell into your phone.
  • Once you're adb shell'd into your phone, make sure you have superuser access by typing
    su
    and your prompt should change from a "$" to a "#"
  • Now, let's backup your original recovery image, just in case. Issue
    cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p14 > /sdcard/recovery-original.img

to back up your original recovery image for a rainy day. Keep that safe!
  • Once we've got that backed up, let's copy over the new recovery image.
    cat /dev/zero > /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
    cat /sdcard/recovery-cwm-pr1.img > /dev/block/mmcblk0p14

You'll get an error on the first command, something like "no space left on device". That's okay, we're just clearing out the orignal recovery image.
  • Now, we MUST check to make sure that our push of recovery worked. Let's run md5sum on it.
    busybox md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p14

Should return back the same hash as above in the download section. If it does not, STOP! Post here explaining, and get a developer's attention ASAP.
  • Lastly, let's make a backup of your MISC partition. This is not required, but is HIGHLY recommended.
    cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p8 > /sdcard/p8-backup.img

This helps us incase somehow your phone gets gunged or weird things happen.

Congrats! You now have ClockworkMod Recovery installed!

Accessing Recovery
To access recovery, power off your device and hold VOLUME DOWN and POWER until you see the LG logo.
You will be asked to confirm a 'wipe' of your device. Don't worry! Our custom recovery ignores this.
Your datas will be perfectly safe.

Pictures!
Here's a few screenshots from Majorpay's device:
http://i.imgur.com/DYfNK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Q7qE4.jpg

Donation Information
I love to develop. I don't do this for money, I do it just for the "thanks".
However, I don't actually own a Revolution-- I'm not even on Verizon!
If I can get enough donations together, I will have my friend purchase the device on contract for $250 at a Verizon retail location.
With that device, I plan on doing quite a lot- creating stock 2.2 roms, attempting to port CyanogenMod7 and a bunch of other awesome things.

Please don't feel obligated to donate, but if you feel like it, you can click the button below to donate any amount you wish to me.

Posted Image

Thank you in advance!

Contact Me!
Got an issue with this release? Post here!
Want to contact me privately? PM me on XDA or Rootzwiki
Twitter your thing? Follow me, @tylerfixer on Twitter

Join the official LG Revolution dev IRC channel at freenode on #lgrevolution
I'm IOMonster on IRC!

Technical information
Breakdown of the LG software posted by me here: http://www.wiki.root...tware_Breakdown

Source will be released as soon as I figure out how to merge all my changes to recovery/minui/graphics.c into my device directory

Edited by thecubed, 14 June 2011 - 01:07 AM.

• 0 Likes

b16

b16

Developer Relations

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:27 AM #2

Keep in mind that thecubed does not have the device, and we have spoken to him on a side note, it is okay to, and we recommend to donate to this developer, this phone is very powerful and could be a great addition to our growing collection of devices. :kiss:

b16
  • 0 Likes

Remember - Remain respectful to others as you would wish to be treated.
Please read the RULES before posting.

Want to sign up to be a developer? Check the requirements.

Stetsonaw

Stetsonaw

Marty Mcfly/Theme Dev

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:41 AM #3

Awesomeness, will be great to cm7 on there. Great job on this, you're a monster!

Sent from 1885
  • 0 Likes
Andy - Phone: Galaxy Nexus LTE | Rom: Liquid 2.0b2 | Get a Dropbox account, I needs more space!
EpicBlue Theme Chooser Themes: CM7 / CM9 | [Template] Theme Chooser Inverted Contacts

JXCgunrunna

JXCgunrunna

Android Beginner

• 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:20 AM #4

By very open, you mean there is no reason there could not be other kernels flashed onto this? I have a Droid and I want something open. Also, If this gets a little more support, I will be making a good sized donation and LG will be getting a new customer.
  • 0 Likes

kellex

kellex

Android Beginner

• 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:34 AM #5

From the man himself:

http://twitter.com/#...340602549583872
  • 0 Likes

OP thecubed

thecubed

Developer

• 28 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:51 AM #6

There is no reason we can't put custom kernels on here, there appears to be no signing at all for the Android part of the phone. As for the radio/bootloader I am not sure.

The only thing stopping custom kernels at this point in time is LG. We need the kernel source before any real kernel-related developments can begin. We could try using CodeAurora's source code, but it'd be a long and arduous process.
  • 0 Likes

JXCgunrunna

JXCgunrunna

Android Beginner

• 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:18 PM #7

There is no reason we can't put custom kernels on here, there appears to be no signing at all for the Android part of the phone. As for the radio/bootloader I am not sure.

The only thing stopping custom kernels at this point in time is LG. We need the kernel source before any real kernel-related developments can begin. We could try using CodeAurora's source code, but it'd be a long and arduous process.

theLGgirl has said on twitter that they are working on supporting the community for this device. I hope that means more than just getting the kernel source out quickly. I hope that means bootloader is as open as the x2/G2x's.
  • 0 Likes

OP thecubed

thecubed

Developer

• 28 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:00 AM #8

Just released! Enjoy all!

EDIT: I will be at the beach tomorrow around 3PM Pacific Time until 8 or 9PM, so if I don't respond, it's because I'm enjoying some well-deserved sunshine :D

Edited by thecubed, 14 June 2011 - 01:40 AM.

• 0 Likes

nmiltner

nmiltner

Themer

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:31 AM #9

This is completely awesome! Seriously considering theRevolution as my next phone, this just makes my decision a little easier.
  • 0 Likes
Hope you like what I'm working on.

Stay up to date with my progress and themes: Follow me on Twitter

Feel like supporting my work? Check out my market themes: https://play.google....nmiltner&hl=en'>HERE

OP thecubed

thecubed

Developer

• 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:40 PM #10

Public Service Announcement!
Do NOT restore NANDROIDs created from cwm-pr1 build!

It appears the backup process is flawed. I'll be looking into it more tonight on IRC.
  • 0 Likes