13K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  jadenguy 
#1 ·
Mod Type:: Recovery

Difficulty:: Easy

Mod Status:: Alpha

Apply In:: Other (See Description)

Requires Root:: Yes

Source::
NOTE: This is an alpha release for the Samsung Fascinate. Because of the way the recovery is packed into boot, this will not work with all kernels / ROMs. It is known to work with CM7.2 and CM9 with Glitch kernel v14. I have no idea if it will work with other kernels or ROMs but I want to get this out there to raise awareness from other developers and users. Use at your own risk! Installing a new ROM or kernel may end up replacing your install of TWRP. Also note that TWRP is *not* compatible with CWM backups. We are not based on CWM, we wrote our own recovery based on AOSP. With that said, I hope that you will get a chance to at least see how fast and easy-to-use TWRP is.

Introduction:

Team Win Recovery Project 2.1, or twrp2 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. We started from the ground up by taking AOSP recovery and loading it with the standard recovery options, then added a lot of our own features. It's a fully touch driven user interface - no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

What's new in 2.1:

[background=rgb(255, 255, 0)]Note: If you have a custom theme installed from 2.0, your theme will need to be updated to see the new features. It is recommended that you remove your custom theme before installing 2.1[/background]
  • Zip queuing as seen in TWRP 1.1.x is back
  • Dual storage capable (backup, restore, and install zips from internal or external storage - you choose)
  • Slider control (swipe to confirm most actions aka swipe to wipe)
  • Lockscreen (with slider to unlock)
  • Basic file manager (copy, move, delete, and chmod any file)
  • Added support for devices with /data/media (most Honeycomb tablets, new ICS devices like Galaxy Nexus)
  • Displays sizes of each partition in the backup menu
  • Added listbox GUI element (currently used for listing time zones)
  • Updated stock XML layouts to be more consistent and easier to port to different resolutions
  • XML layout files are significantly smaller
  • Partitions available backup are more accurate for some devices
  • Removed unneeded error messages (/misc errors, unable to stat sd-ext, etc.)
  • Fixed a bug with blkid detection code
  • Fixed bug where a blank line was inserted between every line of text during zip installs
  • Fixed a bug during zip installs where an invalid zip would cause TWRP to get stuck in the zip install
  • Added setting for themers to toggle simulation mode to make theming easier
  • New devices added - Galaxy Nexus GSM & CDMA (preview only, manual install), Acer Iconia Tab A500, HTC Vivid, Motorola Defy
  • Added support for .jpg images in the theme engine
  • Changed images for stock tablet theme - makes tablet builds about 500KB smaller
  • Removed unneeded non-GUI images from GUI - makes all builds about 100KB smaller
In addition to the above new features, TWRP 2.1.0 now features a scripting engine that allows an app to send commands to the recovery for the recovery to perform during startup. We call this scripting engine OpenRecoveryScript. This engine will be put to use immediately in the GooManager app. GooManager will be able to install recoveries automatically for most supported devices. The app will also let you choose to install multiple zips from within Android, wipe cache & dalvik, and run a backup. We have ported OpenRecoveryScript over to ClockworkMod Recovery and have submitted the code to CyanogenMod for inclusion so that any app will be able to take advantage of the same scripting support in ClockworkMod Recovery too.
GooManager has a great setup for ROM makers that will notify users automatically when there's an update to their ROM. Combined with the recovery support, this allows users to update their software similar to a normal "OTA" update from their carrier in a simple, seamless install process. The goo.im website has a fantastic developer portal that makes it easy for ROM makers to upload new ROMs and provides free, fast hosting for developers. The GooManager app will also continue to remain free.
Some may now be wondering why we didn't just use the "extended commands" feature that already exists in ClockworkMod Recovery. Unfortunately, recent builds of ClockworkMod Recovery have been locked down to only work with ROM Manager, so other apps like GooManager are unable to make use of this feature.
In the future we will be working hard to make TWRP easier for other developers to compile. We eventually plan to get a gerrit instance running to let anyone submit patches to the project. We may be looking for other talented developers, themers, and device maintainers if they are interested in helping with a free, open source project.

Key Features:
  • Ability to save custom recovery settings
  • Touchscreen driven with real buttons and drag-to-scroll
  • XML-based GUI that allows full customization of the layout - true theming!
  • Settings are saved to the sdcard and persist through reboots
  • Ability to choose which partitions to back up and which to restore
  • Ability to choose to compress backups - now with pigz (multi-core processor support for faster compression times)
Theming:

Information on TWRP 2 Theming

Officially Supported Devices:

All official devices are listed at the top of the page on the Team Win website.

Known Issues (affects all devces):
  • Zip files that install more data than free space is available will crash or hang recovery (AOSP issue)
Source Code:

GitHub

If you have made your own twrp build for an unsupported device, please let us know. We might add your build to the list of unofficial builds. Bear in mind that we are working hard to add more devices and we may add your device to our official build list later.

Support:

Click here for live support or join us in #twrp on Freenode IRC servers

See less See more
#8 ·
Things I would like tested before I include it in AOKP.

1) data wipe. You can flash the ROM again boot and if all is well go back and restore.

2) flash the ROM or Efpophis kernel and tell me what recovery you have. It should be blue or red not twrp.

If those are good I'll look into including it.

Sent from my Glitched AOKP Unicorn.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
ok ill test it right fast idk if i like it that much have you played with it?

and actually i just did the wipe a min ago, i factory reset from gummy 1.2.0 and installed 35.1g + Gapps + mms mod and that was all at once in that order so far so good ima make another back up and try your 2... just flash a rom with out injecting twrp steve? it has the option to inject a twrp after install

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Forgive the shitty quality, but here is a theme I'm in the process of making. All that's left are the bottom buttons and a bit of rearranging. I hope to finish it up this afternoon.

If anyone is interested I'll post it somewhere after i change out the bottom buttons and clean up a few things.

Edit: It's up!

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/25762-480x800-21-icscyan-system-style-theme/

#16 ·
Forgive the shitty quality, but here is a theme I'm in the process of making. All that's left are the bottom buttons and a bit of rearranging. I hope to finish it up this afternoon.

If anyone is interested I'll post it somewhere after i change out the bottom buttons and clean up a few things.

I
Lol

Sent from my SCH-I500 using RootzWiki

#24 ·
Yesterday, i attempted to restore a backup made in twrp version ?(found in skunkworks 5/17) and couldn't boot past the cm9 boot screen upon reboot. Upon reflashing the kernel, the backup had then dissappeared from the twrp restore menu, however, the backup was still on the sdcard.Are restores working for the fassy? I was on THS build11/skunk works 5/17. Thanks!

If its any help, the attempt to restore an old nandroid in cwm 5.0.4 resulted in the same result, cm9 boot screen, after I had started completely fresh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.