1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Going to be a new VZW gnex owner, want to hear from somebody who's been using one for a while.

• Please log in to reply

OP jellybellys

jellybellys

Android Guru

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:38 PM #1

Allright, coming from an HTC Incredible 2, can't wait for m gnex to arrive, got some questions!

1. What kernel has the best battery life, maybe smartassv2 support?
I was getting 48-60hrs of battery life on my Incredible 2 with regular usage on the smartassv2 governor. Can anything for the gnex beat that?

2. Rom?
I came from AOKP on the Inc2, anything better for the gnex or should I stick with AOKP?

3. Should I be turning off the LTE radio when I'm in areas that only have 3G, or does that not matter?
  • 0 Likes

EDNYLaw

EDNYLaw

Android Beginner

• 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:48 PM #2

I've had mine for a couple of months and the thing is amazing. I'm using Droid Th3ory's Axiom Patient Zero M 2.5 and Franco Kernel R156 @ 512 GPU clocked from 192 - 1344 Mhz and on conservative governor. DT's tweaks to AOKP are simply amazing, AOKP swag plus the fastest ROM out thereand combined with R156 the battery does not move. I can regularly get 3+ hours of screen on time with the 2100 mah extended battery. Also, Franco has true gamma control built in to his app (found on play store, buy it best two dollars ever spent) which makes the screen look beautiful. And the new official 4.0.4 radios bumped up my signal equal to my old Droid Razr, and Motorola is supposed to have the best radios so for a Samsung device to be totally equal on signal is damn good. I can't say enough about this phone, you definitely won't regret it. Welcome to the club!

Oh and as for 4G and battery I can easily go 24 hrs using 4G, 3G and WIFI (I live in an area with spotty 4G) but it really depends on screen on time. I never turn 4G off, but AOKP has a power save feature to kick the radio down to 3G when the screen is off, but I just read that switching between 3G and 4G hits the battery hard. With the settings I use my drain due to idle I'd less than 1% an hour and considering how much hardware is packed into this thing compared to older phones, that's pretty good. Check out the droidhive, it's Th3ory's site and there's a while bunch of crackflashers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Edited by EDNYLaw, 04 May 2012 - 08:59 PM.

• 1 Likes

WhataSpaz

WhataSpaz

Why Not Zoidberg?

• 1,490 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:49 PM #3

I was getting 48-60hrs of battery life on my Incredible 2 with regular usage on the smartassv2 governor. Can anything for the gnex beat that?

You'll never get that with an HD screen, even with the best kernels. If battery life is your priority I hear imo's leankernel is good for that, but I wouldn't suggest smartass on the gnex. Even at lower frequencies my phone flies.

2. Rom?
I came from AOKP on the Inc2, anything better for the gnex or should I stick with AOKP?

Most people use AOKP for features. I use Liquid for pertty much the same features with more stability and better battery life.

3. Should I be turning off the LTE radio when I'm in areas that only have 3G, or does that not matter?

Can't honestly answer this one. Haven't been in a 3G area only in a while.
  • 1 Likes
Posted Image
CURRENT PHONE: SGS III - SOME AOSP ROM - iX
SIGNATURE BY CLOUD NINE

sandfreak

sandfreak

Android Apprentice

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:50 PM #4

I can't see getting that battery life on any kernel. Best I get is 20-25 hours with screen on about 3.5 hours. That's on wifi/3G. Although in a spot with low signal.

AOKP is where its at on the GNex. Of course others will disagree but I find it being most popular.

If it were me I'd toggle 4G off always unless using it for web pages or downloads. It chews through battery like crazy.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki
  • 1 Likes

OP jellybellys

jellybellys

Android Guru

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:55 PM #5

Can't honestly answer this one. Haven't been in a 3G area only in a while.

I'm jealous... have to drive 2.5 hours to find 4G!
  • 0 Likes

Bangdrum

Bangdrum

Android Beginner

• 92 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:48 PM #6

I came from the inc2 as well. This phone smashes that thing. As for rom/kernels and shit, head over to droidhive and run droidtheorys patient zero. I've tried pretty much everything and nothing comes close to his work. Battery life is pretty decent for lte and hd. 3 hours of screen on time is about average for me and I'm always messing around with my phone.

It has everything you could want in customizations plus it feels the smoothest out of the roms I've tried. Don't ask him how he gets it that way. Just run it and :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
  • 1 Likes

sixohtew

sixohtew

captain planet

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:03 PM #7

JELLYBELLYS NOOOOOOOOOOO!@#

Sent from my Incredible 2 using RootzWiki
  • 1 Likes

- hp touchpad unlocked running homebrewed AOKP 4.4.2 with homebrewed 3.0 kernel

- verizon lg g2 unlocked running homebrewed AOKP 4.4.2 with homebrewed 3.4.0 kernel

--if you like my work and would like to buy me a beer, id greatly appreciate it :)

trparky

trparky

Android Addict

• 1,186 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:06 PM #8

Allright, coming from an HTC Incredible 2, can't wait for m gnex to arrive, got some questions!

2. Rom?

1. I've been running iMoseyOn's lean kernel for ever since I got this phone. Runs great and stable. SmartAssV2 isn't needed on this phone.

2. I run LiquidSmooth myself. Again, runs great.

3. If you ask me, yes.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2
  • 1 Likes
Tom

Current Device: Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Retired Devices: Samsung Droid Charge, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS

times_infinity

times_infinity

Composolite Incarnate

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:46 AM #9

Oh look. A Jellybellys.

Also spaz knows her stuff. She's a smart cookie.

You can't take someones advice verbatim though since everyone's usage is different and sadly their devices as well. Try different combinations and find which one works best.

Also the only time you should worry about turning off LTE is when you're on a fringe area and keep switchibg between crappy LTE signal and 3G. If you know you're area doesn't have LTE at all, I'd turn it off just because.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

Edited by times_infinity, 05 May 2012 - 02:48 AM.

• 1 Likes
Posted Image
Twitter: @times_infinity
Synacking, Akaineing
Lurk, Learn, and STFU; RTFM

PacerguyDon

PacerguyDon

Android Addict

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:02 AM #10

I know I haven't had my Gnex too long (2 weeks now) but I came over from the Dinc2 as well. I was a little surprised when I started to try out different Kernels and didn't find the beloved smartass V2 gov that we has all been using on our Dinc2's. I think I've tried about every rom and kernel here now, and have really liked Liquid and Gummy the most. They have all been great, and it's been really nice to have everything function (we were getting close with the Dinc2).
Kernels I have liked, Franco's nightlies, and the Lean kernels have been really good as others have said. I've also had good luck with the Glados and Trinity Kernels as well.
Your going to like this phone :)
  • 1 Likes
~Don~
Vzw Galaxy Nexus
RasbeanJelly - Trinity
Moto Xoom
Team Eos 3