1. 0
  2. 0
  3. 0/5

Rate this Topic

- - - - -

Anyone else having troubles installing the latest update?

• Please log in to reply

OP machx0r

machx0r

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:08 PM #1

I got an update notification today and when I hit "Install" it reboots into CWM and I see the following:

2012-05-04 18.38.21.jpg

I found the update.zip in /cache/fota/ so I'm going to try to play with it. Might also try installing stock recovery :-(
  • 0 Likes
Trying to quit smoking? Check out Quit Smoking Log or Quit Smoking Log Plus (if you hate ads or just want to kick me $1.99 for my efforts to help you quit :D).

Also check out CCSWE App Manager to hide application icons.

OP machx0r

machx0r

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:29 PM #2

Ok so applying the update.zip manually through CWM mostly worked. When it rebooted it still complained I needed to update so I let the stock recovery process handle it. Rooted with CWM again...
  • 0 Likes
Trying to quit smoking? Check out Quit Smoking Log or Quit Smoking Log Plus (if you hate ads or just want to kick me $1.99 for my efforts to help you quit :D).

jcase

jcase

Rooter

• 241 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:52 PM #3

Yes using CWR to install OTAs is generally a bad idea
  • 0 Likes
Please don't PM me here, I will not likely read it as I do not check often.

OP machx0r

machx0r

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:06 PM #4

Yes using CWR to install OTAs is generally a bad idea

Fair enough. I've always grabbed my stock updates (Epic 4G) from android.google.com and they worked through CWM

On a side note I tried modifying your stock update.zip packages to only restore the stock recovery so I could do that in the future if need be but I'm not having any luck. I've modified updater-scripts in the past with success but admittedly don't really know what I'm doing. I figured it would be as simple as removing most everything except for the package_extract on the recovery.img but I keep getting an error, status 6

Edited by machx0r, 04 May 2012 - 07:10 PM.

• 0 Likes

bimbot

bimbot

Average Android

• 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:39 PM #5

The exact same thing happend to me. Thanks to your post and jcase's, I was able to update and root through CWM. I did the same exact thing you did until the stock update part. I downloaded the update file from jcases's thread, flashed using cwm, then flashed the root package through cwm. Still have root and the build says it's the latest one.

I just want to thank you guys for your posts. Until now, all I've needed was XDA and now they're lagging behind on some of the new devices. I'm glad I can go somewhere and get the advice I need for my latest purchase.

Edited by bimbot, 04 May 2012 - 10:40 PM.

• 1 Likes

baezl

baezl

• 20 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:34 PM #6

Were both of your custom recoveries wiped? Mine was soI had to go the unsecure boot image route. I had the same issue you guys had and had to use cwm to install the update and one the reboot, I had stock recovery.

Luis
  • 0 Likes

OP machx0r

machx0r

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:22 PM #7

Were both of your custom recoveries wiped? Mine was soI had to go the unsecure boot image route. I had the same issue you guys had and had to use cwm to install the update and one the reboot, I had stock recovery.

Luis

Yes, the update will restore stock recovery on every boot. You'll need to install CWM, re-root and then delete the install-recovery.sh script and then reinstall CWM. See these posts:

http://rootzwiki.com..._80#entry665279
http://rootzwiki.com..._80#entry666138
  • 0 Likes

mmurilloco

mmurilloco

Average Android

• 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:35 PM #8

Hi guys!

I have a galaxy ace II, and I was trying to update it. I also received the error with the /cache/fota/update.zip. The problem here, is that I am a complete begginer about Android, and I have no idea what is CWN, XDA or OTA.

Could anybody give me a very short explanation on how to resolve this? Or maybe pointing me to the correct source of information.

Thank you very much, in advance!
  • 0 Likes