Rate this Topic

- - - - -

[Guide] EXT4 for FP1 roms with PBJ 504 kernel

• Please log in to reply

OP froyobaggins

froyobaggins

• 24 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:12 AM #1

hey guys, i've looked around and had a hard time finding any topics regarding ext4 on the later roms. I'm giving an example on how i got ext4 running with eclipse 2.0 and pbj 504.

make sure you're on eclipse with fp1 already, any kernel
download jt's voodoo recovery http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1092114
download imnuts recovery http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1112804
download pbj 504 from this thread

odin jt's voodoo, 3 finger into recovery before it has a chance to restart all the way.
wipe big 3, enable lagfix.
i couldnt restart recovery or go back even from here here, so i held down power to power it off, and voodoo conversion started when i powered back on. removing battery at this point will not work, you have to hold power.
allow it to boot up all the way. turn off, go into download mode.
odin imnuts recovery. wipe 3, flash pbj504 kernel.

also recommended: fugu ics tweak. http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1323804 flash after everything else.
now you have a nicely tweaked ext4 fp1 setup with overclock/undervolting features.

big thanks to all the devs that made this happen. i take no credit. just saves you guys the time since i couldnt find an ext4 conversion setup for any of our later roms and kernels.

edit: much easier method posted by imnuts below.

Posted Imageimnuts, on 04 May 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

I used the ext4 formatter just fine on Tuesday. When you flash the EXT4 formatter, you need to be sure to flash a ROM after using it. Process was flash ext4 formatter, flash rom, flash kernel. You can flash the kernel before the rom, but both should follow the formatter. Also, the first boot after running it will take a little bit longer. It hangs on SAMSUNG for about twice as long as normal, and then you have the usual first boot process that takes a while.

Edited by froyobaggins, 07 May 2012 - 07:49 AM.

• 1 Likes

andrewjt19

andrewjt19

Android Freak!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:25 AM #2

Thanks dude, good write up-another way is to download voodoo sound and use voodoo kernel.. Once the phone boots, open voodoo sound and check Ext4 conversion..
Then reboot, it will convert the system and start up again. Next just reflash a fp1 kernel and you're on ext4..
Sent from my SCH-I510 using RootzWiki

Edited by andrewjt19, 04 May 2012 - 08:28 AM.

• 0 Likes
Andrewjt19
"Rule Your Phone" not just the air. :D
Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II, Asus Transformer Prime
Retired Devices: Droid X, HTC Incredible, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus (still in operation by my wife:cool:)...
Check out my website: http://www.ProjectIn...on.Blogspot.com

JihadSquad

JihadSquad

Super User

• 296 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:38 AM #3

Are you sure that jt's kernel is still good for fp1? It is almost a year old.
  • 0 Likes
I will DIE for our cause!

OP froyobaggins

froyobaggins

• 24 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:41 AM #4

yeah i used jt's kernel only temporarily for the ext conversion. thats why i odined the other one afterwards. thanks for the heads up andrewjt19!
  • 0 Likes

andrewjt19

andrewjt19

Android Freak!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:54 AM #5

I have been using imoseyon's voodoo kernel found in the development section to convert, it seems to work... I haven't tried using it to convert back to rfs and then reflash the fp1 kernel though...

• 0 Likes
Andrewjt19
Retired Devices: Droid X, HTC Incredible, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus (still in operation by my wife:cool:)...

charlie_c

charlie_c

Average Android

• 192 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:03 AM #6

You should just be able to odin the latest CWM, boot into it and flash EXT4 formatter, and then an FP1 ROM of your choice and the latest 0504 kernel.

EDIT: this method is formatting your partitions so of course it'll wipe data. Just wanted to reiterate that so no one finds that out the hard way.

Edited by charlie_c, 04 May 2012 - 10:09 AM.

• 0 Likes

andrewjt19

andrewjt19

Android Freak!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:32 AM #7

You know i did try that method and I only got a brick on the Samsung logo, maybe I did something wrong, but just wanted to let you know...

• 0 Likes
Andrewjt19

charlie_c

charlie_c

Average Android

• 192 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:58 AM #8

You know i did try that method and I only got a brick on the Samsung logo, maybe I did something wrong, but just wanted to let you know...

Not sure. It worked for me - I think on first reboot it may have hung at Samsung logo so I rebooted into CWM and made sure /system was mounted and reflashed ROM and kernel and then it seemed to work. I was killing time at the airport waiting for a flight though so I was just messing around, not sure the exact steps I took.
  • 0 Likes

OP froyobaggins

froyobaggins

• 24 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:59 AM #9

correct, ext4 formatter hangs at samsung logo for me. tried that before posting this topic.
  • 0 Likes

imnuts

imnuts

Disabled User

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:35 AM #10

I used the ext4 formatter just fine on Tuesday. When you flash the EXT4 formatter, you need to be sure to flash a ROM after using it. Process was flash ext4 formatter, flash rom, flash kernel. You can flash the kernel before the rom, but both should follow the formatter. Also, the first boot after running it will take a little bit longer. It hangs on SAMSUNG for about twice as long as normal, and then you have the usual first boot process that takes a while.
  • 0 Likes